Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At nap time, Wendy and I sat down for a game of SoC:tCC. We don't actually own this, but it was loaned to us by a friend who hasn't seen us for a few months.

Anyway, I played Red (again) and she played blue (he usual colour). We were both set up for ore and wheat expansion, and I spent 4 resources looking for a scout, to no avail. I only got one after SHE played her scout, and I sorted through that discard pile to find one. (A total of 6 resources!) I did find the foundry and the wheat mill, which did make up for it, but still, it was painful.

I managed to keep the merchant token for most of the game, but it was only rolled once. Ah well, a VP is a VP.

There was a tense moment when I asked, "You don't have a Bishop, do you?" just before playing the arsonist. She thought I was asking out of curiousity, and I just wanted to start some fires. (I had two, but I thought that two in a row would be too jerky.) I burned down her Abbey. On my next turn, I played the arsonist again, and I rolled a 6. She burned down MY abbey in return. An another turn, I played the brigands and she got lucky; it backfired, so I lost my last resource.

We were getting into the endgame race. I had 9 points, she had 8 or so, and I was having bad luck. I had plenty of resources, but I just could not find anything to build.

It just took too long. We had to wrap it up after Teagan got up, so we counted how many points each person had and called it "over" Wendy had 10 on her move, and I was sitting at 9. We cleaned it up and that was it.

It's a fun game, but it's just too long. If you're looking for a quick two-player game, this is not it. Ticket to Ride: Europe might be a better purchase. The game says it's 90 minutes, and it will certainly take that hour and a half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M G
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only real criticism of SoCCG is, like yours, the playing time. However, it’s also one of better 2P games out there. If you’re looking for something quick playing, definitely look elsewhere; but if you want something for two that’s a little meatier, SoCCG fits nicely. It also has extended playability with the expansion(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Weage
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I wasn't sure that I followed your description of play.

Are you using the following rule?

"Once played, action cards are removed from the game."

(It appears under "Playing Action Cards" just before the note about Bishop and Herb Woman in the original rule book.)

----
One of the things I find difficult about this game is knowing when to pay to search for what I want. (I have some trouble with this kind of thing in Jambo and to a lesser extent in Roma.) But I have noticed that as both players get better at this, the average game time drops somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B Weage wrote:

Are you using the following rule?

"Once played, action cards are removed from the game."

No, I missed that. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a more optimal number of Victory Points at which to call the game complete (instead of 12)?

One way to change the play-time is to change the number of Victory Points necessary to declare victory. The rule book I have states that "New players may want to play to a lower Victory Point total...this will make the game play in a shorter time..."

Have you experimented with the VP total in Catan Card Game?

We've played our first two games to 6. The first one we were learning on our own, and the second one ended too abruptly in my opinion. I'm thinking that playing to a final score of somewhere between 8 and 12 might be best.

mikey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.