Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quickie for ya -

During turns a player can exceed his hand limit and does not have to 'discard down' to meet that limit if he has more than 5 (+/- modified for level/keeps/etc) at the end of each turn? Only when drawing a new hand is the limit a restriction, right?

The answer has gotta be yes but it's not explicitly stated in the rules and many card games I've played do ask a player to discard down/up to your meet a hand limit after their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any situation in which you have to discard down to any specific number, except when knocked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks. That's more than answered my query as I thought you discarded all the cards in your hand at the end of a round and drew up to your hand limit at the start of the next one...

How wrong I was!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
Ok, thanks. That's more than answered my query as I thought you discarded all the cards in your hand at the end of a round and drew up to your hand limit at the start of the next one...

How wrong I was!

touché =P

Edit: Actually, no. I answered the question ("hand limit during turns") and you got snarky - not nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pickering
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the rulebook: End of Turn - 7.Drawing New Cards -
Quote:
c. If you have more cards in your hand than your current Hand
limit, you do not have to discard down to your Hand limit
(but you draw no new cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdpixter wrote:
From the rulebook: End of Turn - 7.Drawing New Cards -
Quote:
c. If you have more cards in your hand than your current Hand
limit, you do not have to discard down to your Hand limit
(but you draw no new cards)

Thanks, it's mainly through forum quotes like this that and the great fanmade player reference aids that I'm learning the details of the game. I find the rulebook isn't the most accessible I've read. I can hardly ever find a ruling in it when clarification is needed. That's why the BGG folks are brilliant at helping out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iskaral Pust
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes, I've found the BGG community very helpful.
By the way, the motivation skills are great for an extra two cards and a mana token.
I always try to pick one if they come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A N/A
msg tools
Hi!
I think for completeness we should add that:

About End of Turn
paragraph 7a:
"If you did not play or discard any cards during your turn,
you must discard at least one card now."

Which prevent you from sitting with a perfect hand and moving around by using a skill or harvesting a crystal mine.

Medhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:

How wrong I was!

And for more clarity, you may have meant "turn" instead of "round." That's an important vocabulary point to keep straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Old Deep One wrote:

How wrong I was!

touché =P

Edit: Actually, no. I answered the question ("hand limit during turns") and you got snarky - not nice.

HUH? How on earth did you find my reply in the least 'snarky'?! I sincerely meant what I wrote, that you did not only confirm my question but also answered another, unasked but related query that I found very helpful.

I've read a great deal of your MK forum posts and have a high regard for your insights and posts. Please don't look for any sarcasm when there is none due - not nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
Old Deep One wrote:

How wrong I was!

And for more clarity, you may have meant "turn" instead of "round." That's an important vocabulary point to keep straight.

No worries, but I did indeed mean round and not turn in that post. I was under the assumption that if nothing else, all cards, from hand and discard pile are reshuffled and drawn up to your hand limit at the beginning of each Round. I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
Old Deep One wrote:

How wrong I was!

touché =P

HUH? How on earth did you find my reply in the least 'snarky'?! I sincerely meant what I wrote, that you did not only confirm my question but also answered another, unasked but related query that I found very helpful.

I've read a great deal of your MK forum posts and have a high regard for your insights and posts. Please don't look for any sarcasm when there is none due - not nice.

Oh man. That's awesome. Sorry for breaking my own no. 1 rule of internet interaction:

If you had written "turn", I wouldn't have got confused. Since you wrote "round" I mistakenly thought you were very sarcastically pointing out that there is, in fact, another point in the game when you discard cards left in your hand - the end of the round (i.e. the end of a day or night), and that my comment had annoyed you. Anyway, thanks for clearing things up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad we're cool about that Ben. All's well

But, hang on a minute! So you're saying a players DOES infact, discard his hand at the end/start of a new ROUND?

Ahh ok, head hurting now. I've forgotten the all the rules now.

OK, to clarify if I got this:

A player doesn't have to discard down to meet his hand limit at the end of a turn.

At the end of a ROUND all players shuffle their hand and discard piles and then draw up to their hand limit (plus or minus any modifiers from keeps, etc).

That right>?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah (one round)
Each Player:
g) Shuffles all his Deed cards to create a new Deed deck

Edit to reply to your edit: discarding isn't really specified as taking place at the end/beginning of a round. You shuffle all your deed cards, except optionally banner artifacts assigned to units. Whether your deed cards happened to be in your hand, in the discard, or still in your deck is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew

I'll really have to work harder about wording my questions so that they do not become as confusing as the rules that I'm asking the questions about. surprise

Thanks for sticking this thread out till the end Ben and putting up with my noob MK terminology
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Edit to reply to your edit: discarding isn't really specified as taking place at the end/beginning of a round. You shuffle all your deed cards, except optionally banner artifacts assigned to units. Whether your deed cards happened to be in your hand, in the discard, or still in your deck is irrelevant.
In fact, to be strict you don't discard them: if you have an unknown artifact at hand, the other players can't see it (since it never goes in your discard pile): the artifact is still unknown in new round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
Phew

I'll really have to work harder about wording my questions so that they do not become as confusing as the rules that I'm asking the questions about. surprise

Thanks for sticking this thread out till the end Ben and putting up with my noob MK terminology

I wish they didn't call it a hand limit.

Think of it as a Draw Limit instead and it will make more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
Phew

FWIW, now that you've had some experience with the game and are encountering questions about specific game situations/rules, you might want to give the rulebook another read with new eyes. Even if you don't find it useful as a learning tool, it does a good job of defining and explaining its terms, and IMO doesn't leave a lot of ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
I wish they didn't call it a hand limit.

Think of it as a Draw Limit instead and it will make more sense.

I don't think I ever call it hand limit (despite the term in the rules) when teaching. I call it hand size. The only times it is ever checked are during end of turn (when you draw back up to it if you are below it) and when you determine whether you are knocked out. It's (as you say) a bit misleading to think of it as an ongoing limit when it's really just a number whose value (modified or unmodified) is checked at specific times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.