Subject: ARCHON...board game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think it possible to make a board game version of Archon? Have not played this game in many,many years. Would love to see some kind of conversion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just happens to be a fave of mine: I have the original Archon game somewhere, floppy disc and all. The closest thing to it in recent years is an Xbox game called Wrath: Unleashed, and it's basically a cross between Archon and the old Avalon Hill boardgame Titan, which may have inspired the original designers of Archon. Titan is expensive and out of print, but it is essentially the same kind of thing as Archon on a much grander scale and handles up to 6 players.

Here's a link:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/103

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Archon! I remember playing that for hours on the old Amiga. It seems like you should be able to turn it into a boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think something with minis along with a stat card with abilities/powers for each piece. Random drawn battle boards for the pieces to fight on based on the color of battle tile.(heck maybe D&D minis would work?)

Oh, and thanks for the link. never heard of that game before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
It seems like you should be able to turn it into a boardgame.

And the arcade part? How you could handle it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a combat system, with combat cards or dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a random side "battle board"(either pre made - or player made mini-"days of wonder battle" arena-hexes with tiles.) Have a one-on-one battle with the pieces. Make it kinda of detailed, yet flexible that each battle is not easily won by a stonger pc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would be fairly easy, but it wouldn't really be anything that hasn't been done before, I don't think. Part of what made Archon so great was the combination of abstract strategy and then the real time action.

However, if that doesn't concern one, then I think it'd just be a matter of appropriately designing the combat phase.

I think I'd use simultaneous movement. Keep things frantic/uncertain like in the real game. Sort of emulate the twitch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, like maybe a random amout of time in the battle arena?(die roll = how long you have/turns to destroy each other) The random time limit could be based on if the battle was on a light or dark square.

I think all the material is here, just need to find away to make it happen. We all love Chess...lets make it better, like sprinkles on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Archon" was one of my two favorite games on the Commodore 64 (the other was "Impossible Mission").

I actually have thought a lot of designing a boardgame version myself. I thought of a main board and a modular battle board, which would have obstacle tiles placed on specific locations according to the site of the battle.

I didn't think much about the combat system, but it would most likely use dice for resolution, and movement would be affected by the creature's speed. Stats would change according to the current state of the given space on the main board, which could be light, dark or twilight.

The problem I came across was that if the combat system was as elaborated as I think it should be, the game would probably take too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I had similar thoughts a while back and had a similar problem. Without an elaborate combat system, there isn't that much to the game - the board play in Archon is decent, but nothing I would choose to play without an interesting combat system (for one thing, allowing pieces to change direction during moves makes the board too open). With a good combat system, the game will take forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That'd be a great board game. I love playing Archon on my Atari.

I play a lot of Dreamblade, sorta reminds me of Archon.

~telengard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK the maker of Archon was inspired to the game by the "Holochess" sequence from Star Wars.
I always wanted to have a playable version of that game, strangely I know of no attempt to do so to this date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
20 years goes fast, doesn't it, guys?

I remember playing on the Apple IIe and winning nearly every game when I played Dark after I learned the game. I tried making it into a game on paper, but it never went anywhere. I bought some similar Playstation game a few years ago but can't remember it's name and only played it once. It was by the same creator(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
There is actually a boardgame udner development entitled ARCHON, although that title is subject to change. It has zero to do with the original computer game.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
This just happens to be a fave of mine: I have the original Archon game somewhere, floppy disc and all. The closest thing to it in recent years is an Xbox game called Wrath: Unleashed

I understand there is a minigame in the multiplatform "Mortal Kombat: Deception" (a mode called Chess Kombat) that plays a LOT like the original Archon.

Also, for the really-cheap or behind-the-tech-curve, the PSX (original Playstation, but can also be played on the PS2) game "The Unholy War" is another game following the Archon template. Ebay auctions for it recently have closed as low as one penny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game...I still have my NES catridge of this.

I used to have Archon II on my Commodore 128, but never got into it as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the heck out of Archon game on my Apple IIc. The Phoenix kicked butt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Shapeshifter.

"Archon 2: Adept" was pretty cool too.

And the mid-90s remake "Archon Ultra" is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
quantumplation wrote:
However, if that doesn't concern one, then I think it'd just be a matter of appropriately designing the combat phase.

I think I'd use simultaneous movement. Keep things frantic/uncertain like in the real game. Sort of emulate the twitch.

Agreed.

The easy(-er) part is the strategy board and the light/dark shifting mechanism.

The hard(-er) part is capturing the feel and the spirit of the combat/twitch. Speeds and timing were critical. Mastery necessitated using comprehensive knowledge of these to gain the spatial advantage in the "dance" and "pin" the opponent with your shot-making capabilities.

Simultaneous movement might help leapfrog past the trivialities of the combat and focus on these aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=1784

and

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=1785

if anyone fancies a look back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure this would make a good boardgame, but it's fun to remember the computer game.

I loved Archon, but I think I loved Archon 2 even more. I really enjoyed how the power points shifted every turn, and how some of the monsters were more or less powerful depending on what element (fire, water, etc) they were battling in.

So quick informal poll - what was your favorite Archon / Archon 2 character?

From Archon, it was the Basilisk. I could mow through the enemy with this guy. In Archon 2, I really loved playing the Gorgon. It didn't damage the enemy, it just slowed them down with every hit. Once they couldn't move anymore, they died.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
I should point out that there's an ongoing effort to preserve these old computer games, and make them playable in-browser. Check out:

http://virtualapple.org/

An yes, they have Archon (and everything else I can remember playing in my misspent youth).

Archon:
The world, the Gnostics said, is ruled by the great and evil Archon, whose empire stretches as far as the firmament.
But even for Archon, life isn't easy. In another universe, there's another Archon. He wants your empire.
The outcome of the war will determine the one, true Archon. You'll want to make sure it's you. You'll use every troll, basilisk and dragon you have, and all the other slimy, conniving underlings you can find, to fight the phoenixes and djinnis of the enemy Archon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
The board play in Archon was...ok. The same designer gave us Star Control 2. The multiplayer mode pretty much dismisses board play, gives you points to pick a squadron, and tear through your ships until someone doesn't have any.

It was a much harder game. Ships had definite advantages against each other, but players picked up affinities for different ships. Each ship had TWO weapons, and the ships were a lot more different than the simpler Archon critters.

The single player game, is also of course, the best one ever.

Moo,
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Wonder Computer of the 1980s
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Archon rocks. What about a boardgame version of another favorite of mine... M.U.L.E?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.