Subject: Recommendations for 4th grade (6 students)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am running a six week games club after school. We have about 45 minutes to learn/play a game. I broke out Qwixx yesterday. The kids had fun, but they are not gamers and it took the entire time for one game. We will be playing Loot next week. Does anyone have any ideas of other good games I could get to the table? I do have one ADHD kid and another on the spectrum, whose parents are gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
I run a group for grades 3-6, for an hour.

They like Qwirkle, but it took the full hour to play out the first time - there are so many tiles! The box says 2-4 but I played with 5 with no issues, and I imagine 6 would also be fine except for more downtime.

I played Tsuro with them last week and they loved it. It has elimination, but they didn't mind because the game plays so quickly, and you can play a few times in a row so losing doesn't feel as bad. A couple of them also commented that they prefer it to Qwirkle because doing well is far less dependent on the luck of the draw.

I've used Rory's Story Cubes, mostly as an icebreaker to get them talking to each other in the first week (it's a group at a library so they didn't know each other). I imagine it would also be good for co-op story telling and things like that.

Games I'm planning to use next:
-Dixit (up to 6, also easy to change the length by changing the point goal)

-Castle Panic (up to 6, might be too long for you but I haven't tried it yet, co-op is especially good for getting kids to work together instead of being competitive and upset about losing)

-La Boca (up to 6, semi co-op)

Games like Bohnanza and Citadels might also work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I run a club for middle schoolers. King of Tokyo, Ticket to Ride, and X-wing are popular. The first two games are usually student led. X-wing has even scaffolded so that I'm not trying to yeah everything at once.

Forbidden Island and Flash Point are also viable options for co-ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo? Had a lot of success for a large age range for me. I also found Say Anything works really well, as long as you know that your kids are mature enough to stay away from curse words and etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the level of competitiveness, cooperation among them? King of Tokyo is a GREAT game for competitive kids who don't mind player elimination, but NOT for kids who would be turned off by that. This might apply to several other games I might suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
take a look at Unnamed Object
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to King of Tokyo
+1 to Castle Panic
+1 to Forbidden Island / desert

SET and Spot it! would be good choices. Their fast as they are all about reaction time and should welcome all levels.

Sequence worth checking out.
maybe Sushi Go! for the calmer types
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Montgomery
United States
West Haven
Utah
flag msg tools
Can I take my tun back?
badge
Can I take my tun back?
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
take a look at Unnamed Object

thumbsup I've had good luck with this.

Press your luck type games work with most kids.

A couple of favorites of my 4th grader are...
Shadow Hunters, BANG! or BANG! The Dice Game
However some of these themes may be a bit questionable for a school setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tom
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
Dungeon! has been a bit hit with my 8 year old and 5 year old. Very easy to learn and play. Kids dig the fantasy theme. $18 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-of-the-Coast-A78490000/dp/0786...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, the three most popular games in our 4th and 5th grade board game club are King of Tokyo, Incan Gold and One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Morgan
msg tools
Labyrinth goes down really well in my school board game club 10-13 year olds. As does coup which the older ones really like. The girls love sleeping queens and rat-a-tat-cat. castle keep and zeus on the loose are also popular. games with clean up/set up being quite short and relatively quick play time are good so more than one of the kids can get a win really helps.

I think its so important that kids play board/card games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Pit; it's loud and chaotic which is a good challenge. My 4th grade son is absolutely terrible at it - reacting quickly and dealing with a lot of noise are not his strengths (my first grade daughter killed us both at it first time out of the box). But he enjoyed it and stuck with it, which is all I can ask. Plus, it has a bell.

Strongly recommend the Gamewright little hands card holders for card games with kids - particularly Sushi Go with all of the hand passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Word on the Street lends itself to casual game play with teams. It doesn't punish poor spelling because it ignore vowels. Fun/different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been running a game club in our school for the last three weeks and so far we've only played two games, but they've gone down pretty well.

Firstly, we've had three session playing City of Zombies, which plays very smoothly and actually engages them well at maths problems, as well as satisfying their zombie-bashing whims.

Last week I moved them on to Midnight Party, which they really got into the swing of as well and it was interesting watching them take on some of the strategies as the game went on.

The kids in the group are 8 to 10 years old and mixed ability, but these games have been hits so far.

With older kids I've been known to break out Timeline as a five-minute filler, but just dealing a single card each turn rather than playing a hand, which has turned into a great way to keep the focused for a few minutes.

I also have an old copy of Initial Subject sitting in the room we use as an English lounge, and that gets a fair amount of play over lunchtimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get teachers introducing Zombie themed games to **preteens**. Is that wholesome? Somehow, that doesn't sit right with me. Your mileage my vary, I just didn't think as a fellow educator I should just let that slide....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
Just this last International Table Top Day we (Booker's Board Games)hosted an event at our local library. Two 10 year old fourth graders were wanting to play Ticket to Ride. My wife and I taught them how to play. They caught on pretty quickly. I gave both of them something extra to do. For instance one moved the score markers for me and my wife. This gave her practice with double digit addition. It was even better when she had to do this going past a decade number. Yes, she knew double digit addition in third grade, however, it was nice to see her confidence grow by doing it quickly in her head. It was good practice for her to plan her moves a couple of turns ahead. These kind of games are good for working memory and flexible thinking. So something they can master rather quickly and whatever you use make a point to help them with executive function skills too.
P.S. I am also a teacher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery

They're going to learn those words sooner or later. Why not due their poor parents a service by teaching them early!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome effort - hope it goes really well!

This is shameless self promotion, but I ran a podcast with Donald Dennis of On Board Games called Games in Schools and Libraries. www.gamesschoolslibraries.com

In episode 36 we talk about good games for the age group of kids you're talking about: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1155906/episode-36-essen...

Edit: You might also like to look at the games we mention in episodes 35 and 37 - games for younger and older kids respectively.

Incidentally, Episode 29 was about games in schools with a particular focus on kids on the Autism spectrum.

We haven't done an episode in a while, but Don is winding it back up again soon.

Hope that's helpful!

Cheers,
Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ArseFez wrote:
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery

They're going to learn those words sooner or later. Why not due their poor parents a service by teaching them early!

Like "DECAPITATION 2:1" laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
Awesome effort - hope it goes really well!

This is shameless self promotion, but I ran a podcast with Donald Dennis of On Board Games called Games in Schools and Libraries. www.gamesschoolsliraries.com

Hi Giles, I think you meant www.gamesschoolslibraries.com . I'm sure others have figured it out, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting my own website wrong - classy!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think King of Tokyo appeals to a wide range and is easily grasped.

Archaeology: The Card Game is a simple rummy type card game with a bit of "take that" (Thief cards) and "ooops!" (with the sandstorms). The set collection and existence of the thief and sandstorm cards adds a bit of press your luck as the value of your set increases non-linearly with the number of cards in your set.

A more mainstream game that I've enjoyed and I think would be good with that age group is Rummikub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montebanc wrote:
I don't get teachers introducing Zombie themed games to **preteens**. Is that wholesome? Somehow, that doesn't sit right with me. Your mileage my vary, I just didn't think as a fellow educator I should just let that slide....

To Preteens that play Plants vs Zombies or Minecraft? Who talked to me about their Lego Zombies long before I even considered introducing a cartoonified zombie game to the classroom? If I'm guilty of anything, it is pandering to their interests.

Trust me, I'd shy away from anything that I considered to be especially gruesome or scary, this game is lighter than most of the Halloween costumes that you see out there and even specifies that for younger players, the emphasis should be that their survivors are "scared away" rather than eaten.

I respect your opinion, of course, but given the number of MB/Hasbro themed ghost/vampire/mummy games out there marketed at the pre-teen crowd, this game with its very family-friendly design causes me no concern. As with any monster, its not its presence, but how it's presented that counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
We only have about 45 minutes (which is decent). I introduce and play a new game each week (from my collection). We have played Qwixx (they had a little trouble with the quick math), Loot - 2 plays (they absolutely love it!), Qwirkle (full size, they enjoyed it though we did not finish), and Forbidden Island (with six, so I let them go one past the red skull/crossbones and they won!). I plan on dropping Carcassonne tomorrow and probably will finish up with Reiner Knizia's Decathlon (or let them play loot again). Thanks for all the advice everyone. It has given me some ideas for more games groups in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Williams
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Both Consensus and Telestrations would be good for 6 4th graders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.