Subject: Do you find being the Zombie player fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Cerbone
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
We just started playing this game and I now have two games under my belt as the Zombie player.

No one else is excited to be the Zombie player. I don't really mind it but sometimes I want to be a Hero player and when I bring it up, people are hesitant to switch sides. I think they find the Hero turns to more engaging and more interesting with searching for and using the items found. I also find that Zombie turns are a lot more straight forward because not only can they be very quick, but most of the time they are moving one space and then they are done.

So, I guess my question to anyone is, do you enjoy being the Zombie player more than a Hero player and what do you find enticing about being the Zombie player? Like I said before, the Heroes have the more unknowns because of searching and they depend on rolling a die to move so they must make due with that roll. Plus, each Hero has special abilities that can make each game different where the Zombies are... the same each game(outside of playing against a different scenario).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always loved being the zombie player, but that might be because of years of DMing. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Smith
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not own the game. Can someone play both the zombie and hero roles, perhaps rotating the zombie role? Zombies could always move to the closest hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the Zombie player is a blast, IMHO! It is tons of fun to shamble your zombies around the game area, chasing the players down with a mob of undead corpses. It's even more fun to drop surprises on them using zombie cards, when you finally get some shamblers close enough for combat! Very much in the vein of Hollywood undead flicks and very fun to see how each game plays out.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of us think being the zombie player is the best because you are in the control seat. For most of the scenarios the players are responding to your threat constantly and you are dictating their plays and saying what they can and can't do. You are fear you are there to end them. It is tons of fun. (just never play the starter scenarios those suck for the zombies and make them play completely differently than they will play for every other scenario)

Additionally any scenario with zombie autospawn is a hoot for the person playing zombies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I've always loved being the zombie player, but that might be because of years of DMing. sauron

Conversely, after years of DMing I usually hate being the adversarial 'bad guy' player in games like this. That said, LNOE is the exception where I really enjoy playing the zombies and genuinely don't mind losing to the heroes, if I do lose... zombie
It also seems that as the zombie player you hold most of the fun 'surprise' cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yessssss!!

(to being the zombie player)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiezombiezombie. Wouldn't play it any other way. I love setting the pace and the "storytelling" aspect of the role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HELL YES!...

I love faking out my players. Setting up my horde when they think they have it, and they are ready to take on one or two.

I keep a few cards in may hand to move some far off zombies or split up the group with a trip here then move into melee ones they did not expect and then the obvious ones.

Love seeing the faces of joy turn inot panic as instead of 1 or 2 zombies in thier space i now have 4 or more..

MUHAHAHAHAH!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's certainly not the issue around here. Most people I have played with think that playing the Heroes is boring, because their turn is Move or Search, then shoot an obvious target. Over and over again. The zombie player on the other hand, is playing a tactical miniatures game. They are controlling a whole pile of guys, deciding where to place them, how to attack, whom to attack, etc...It's far more engaging for the zombie player, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I prefer to play zombie over human. I think the biggest reason is, I end up becoming bossy with co-op games, pointing out the smartest moves and otherwise voicing my opinion way to much. This way, my friends can play co-op and I don't get bossy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Greybear wrote:
I do not own the game. Can someone play both the zombie and hero roles, perhaps rotating the zombie role? Zombies could always move to the closest hero.

This would take away a huge part of the game. I admit to enjoying solo play of this game when I'm bored, but I would never put the zombies on auto-pilot in a multi-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite on auto pilot, but there is the zombie hunger aspect to consider: they have to move on to a hero space if they move adjacent I believe.

I only got LNOE last week, played it once at a local group. One of my fellow gamers said he'd play the zombie controller if I wanted, so I could play one of the heroes right off the bat as it were. He had an absolute ball, playing the surprise cards on the rest of us. I was so new to my own copy of the game I hadn't even gone through all the cards, so there were some genuine surprises indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite things to NOT do - go through a game's cards. I love to experience them fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don hoe

Massachusetts
msg tools
This is my problem with the game. Playing the zombie player is not that great.

Someone said its fuun playing the zombies unless you are playing the starter scenarios. You mean the ones that came with the base game? So the Growing hunger scenarios and the ones online are preferable?

ps It didn't look like fun to play the zombies in the get the keys scenario on Tabletop and when me and my friend played it it wasn't fun for my friend playing the zombies either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions make it fun to be the zombie player, especially Timber Peak and its expansion. They add more tactical decisions to how you upgrade the zombies and which kind of zombie you upgrade to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor B.
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play zombies and it's great fun, but Survival of the fittest makes it doubly so, with the addition of grave weapons :]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Coe
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing as zombies. My goal of playing a game is to have fun, but I run into a little personal problem of competitiveness. I have had a tendency to take over the hero side in an effort to win. But as the Z I have no problem losing, just want to have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.