Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander McBay
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was wondering how this game compares to Rommel in the Desert, the other Columbia block wargame that I would like. I played Rommel and Julius Caesar at a friends house about a month ago and now I would like to own a block wargame of my own.

However, I am stuck. Rommel is an excellent game, but so is Eastfront II.

Basically, which one should I get? Which one is better? I can't decide and it's driving me mad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
alexbond45 wrote:
I was wondering how this game compares to Rommel in the Desert, the other Columbia block wargame that I would like. I played Rommel and Julius Caesar at a friends house about a month ago and now I would like to own a block wargame of my own.

Basically, which one should I get? Which one is better? I can't decide and it's driving me mad.

EF is excellent. If your friend has Rommel and you can play Rommel with your friend, and your friend does not have EF, then it would seem rational to get EF so you can play both games.

A cool thing about EF is that it has 6-month-long scenarios, which you can intentionally combine as you like, e.g. play the first 18 months, or even simply say "we'll play this scenario & see if someone wins, if not, we'll continue it for the next 6 months, and so on". (Damn, now I want to get it to the table more...!)

Both EF & Rommel are more complex than Julius Caesar, which is another excellent one indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McBay
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
alexbond45 wrote:

EF is excellent. If your friend has Rommel and you can play Rommel with your friend, and your friend does not have EF, then it would seem rational to get EF so you can play both games.

A cool thing about EF is that it has 6-month-long scenarios, which you can intentionally combine as you like, e.g. play the first 18 months, or even simply say "we'll play this scenario & see if someone wins, if not, we'll continue it for the next 6 months, and so on". (Damn, now I want to get it to the table more...!)

Both EF & Rommel are more complex than Julius Caesar, which is another excellent one indeed.

Unfortunately, this is one of my friends who I don't get in contact with often bdcause he's usually at college so it's really one or the other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
alexbond45 wrote:
Unfortunately, this is one of my friends who I don't get in contact with often bdcause he's usually at college so it's really one or the other

Then perhaps the choice depends on whether you prefer the epic high-unit mass of the Eastern front, or the sparser desert fighting?

FWIW (I'm just some guy you don't know) I own both, but if I only owned one it would be EF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ros Hermans
United States
Royersford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it you liked about RitD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and enjoyed both games multiple times each.

While there are similarities, such as combat resolution, inter-turn unit builds, most of the game play is very different.

EF is a much larger theater. EF units are activated by HQ radius. RitD units activated by randomly drawn supply cards. EF activation ability kept secret by keeping the HQ upright during builds and RitD by bluffing with the cards. Tracing supply in RitD supply is more complicated.

Both have scenarios but I found the scenario's in RitD drive sort of "end-of-the-world-next-turn" play, so the best game is the campaign. Whereas EF has 6 month scenarios that can easily be continued into the next 6 months if both players feel like it. On the otherhand, the 6 month scenarios also are good check points to see if it worth going into the next half year.

RitD is easier to play in a single evening sitting. EF is likely to continue across multiply sessions. Hence the need for a safe place to keep the game up.

RitD rule book is shorter but for some reason I find EF more straight forward.

While, both are great games, I recommend EF.

Peter S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Fury wrote:
RitD rule book is shorter but for some reason I find EF more straight forward.

Me too. Somehow EF's system feels more natural/intuitive/obvious to me too, even though in some objective sense I don't think it's necessarily simpler than Rommel's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
alexbond45 wrote:

Let me help you put your mind at ease: get both. The two games are different enough that playing one never feels like playing the other.

I agree with most of what Fury said (I too found the longer EF rulebook easier to understand), but I wouldn't say the "end of the world next turn" thing is more of a factor in RITD; almost always the game ends mid-scenario with one side conceding because they pushed a leeeeetle too hard & got wiped off the map.

(I never updated it for EF2, but a list of rules which are easy to mix up between the two games is here.)

EDIT: oh yeah, just to emphasize--it can be easier to get RITD to the table because it's got some 1-2-hour scenarios; there are people who talk about ripping through 6-month EF2 scenarios in 3 hours, but 5-6 hours is what they take me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McBay
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Admiral Eggman wrote:
What is it you liked about RitD?

I liked the fact that it was about maneuvering and encouraged players to have a reserve force instead of throwing everything forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
almost always the game ends mid-scenario with one side conceding because they pushed a leeeeetle too hard & got wiped off the map.

That describes it perfectly !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedPlanet
Australia
Gold Coast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sure Craig will be happy what ever your choice laugh

I own both. Living on an island , there are few F2F players. So it's vassal only really. This is where the crunch is .........

Sadly Rommel is not PBEM friendly - players turns in phases, and I don't get to play it.

EF is IGYO perfect. And so is Eurofront for that matter, and is the vassal game I play the most!

But if F2F vs PBEM is not a consideration, then EF is expandable - and I find RITD rules more complex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McBay
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bit the bullet and got EastFront (second edition for EuroFront later on) Applying soviet stickers now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.