Subject: Is there any chance of a second expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
A month or so ago, I heard whispers on another messageboard of a second expansion for Terra Mystica, but I haven't heard anything else since.

Has anyone heard any news about a second expansion, maybe for Essen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helge confirmed that they were working on another expansion. No information on release but considering F&I only just now because fully available due to the consistent and predictable delivery snafus, I doubt it will be released until 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
There are "easy", "medium" and "difficult" ways to expand TM (if you want to keep factions balanced).

Easy (IMHO ):
- more bonus tiles
- more scoring tiles
- more final scoring tiles

Medium:
- more maps

Difficult:
- more factions
- new mechanisms (e.g. introduction of a new building, resource, faction color on the map, ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, if they just released an expansion that had seven new faction boards (a new double-sided one for each of the seven terrain types, with a rule that you couldn't play factions with the same terrain type in each game) and a new double-sided game board, I would be thrilled and buy it immediately (this is what was rumored on the other messageboard). A few new scoring tiles and city tiles would be great, too. I don't really want to see a big alteration in game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of a couple of easy ways to expand:
Purple
Pink
whistle

I think new round, bonus and scoring tiles would be easy. New town tiles wouldn't surprise me.

I think new Power Actions to take could be intriguing and not add much complication. Something that would be more interactive perhaps?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current level of interactivity is quite enough in my opinion. If the riverwalkers and shapeshifters told me anything it is that the base level of interactivity is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like a pure faction expansion with one reversible board (2 factions) for each of the existing base colors and fire, ice, and variable variants. Seems like a nightmare to try to create this many more different, yet somewhat balanced factions, but then again I'm not a game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are several options to go with assuming they don't create new mechanics altogether.

New favor tiles, new passing tiles, new round bonuses and another cult or two would be possible to combo with the new favors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think that five identical boards for a neutral faction might be cool - the only difference would be the color of the buildings etc. you use. No need for one in each color as there would be always some marking stones in your color on your board.

The idea is that every player has identical abilities:
- dwellings cost 1w+2c: one free worker income, then one per dwelling built, up to 8 (just like most factions have now)
- trading posts cost 2w+3c/6c: TP #1 + #2 give 1pw+2c income, #3 + #4 give 2pw +2c income
- temples cost 2w+5c: one priest income per temple, plus one favor tile when building it
- sanctuary costs 4w+8c: one priest income, plus one favor tile when building it, enables a 3-hex town as usual
- stronghold costs 4w+8c: 4pw income, plus a one-time chance to convert up to 3 workers into twice as many coins when building it (or something else which is generally useful)

Start player picks a color and one cult in which to gain one step, then next player etc.. Bonus tiles are picked in reverse order (just as normal), and while doing so every player picks a second (different) cult in which to gain one step. Per cult only (#players - 1) are allowed to start on 1.

This could be accompanied by a new map which has a even distribution of colored hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds ok if each SA and SH is 4/6. 4/8 means you rarely ever play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be happy if there was an expansion that supplied people eager to play the game with me. It's my favorite game, yet I can never get it to the table with my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brainstormed concepts for three more faction-pairs; they were even weirder than the orange and beige ones (white isn't really that weird by comparison), but they similarly stretched the design space into weird contortions to try to make sense of it. The longer you remain tethered to the original seven-terrain board while trying to come up with ways to shoehorn new factions in, the more convoluted you have to get. I already don't feel as though the expansion races (except maybe Riverwalkers) are at all comparable to the originals in terms of their effectiveness (Acolytes in particular strike me as virtually unplayable). When everyone else has free spots waiting for them on the map and you don't, it just seems like everyone else will be trying to win while you're trying to merely function at all. I did okay with the ice maidens one time, they're probably not harder to play than darklings and giants, and Yetis might actually be slightly easier than those. But otherwise it's a struggle to get any of these factions to work. I really don't understand why the Shapeshifters were gimped so hard; they do NOT feel OP to me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willpell wrote:
I brainstormed concepts for three more faction-pairs; they were even weirder than the orange and beige ones (white isn't really that weird by comparison), but they similarly stretched the design space into weird contortions to try to make sense of it. The longer you remain tethered to the original seven-terrain board while trying to come up with ways to shoehorn new factions in, the more convoluted you have to get. I already don't feel as though the expansion races (except maybe Riverwalkers) are at all comparable to the originals in terms of their effectiveness (Acolytes in particular strike me as virtually unplayable). When everyone else has free spots waiting for them on the map and you don't, it just seems like everyone else will be trying to win while you're trying to merely function at all. I did okay with the ice maidens one time, they're probably not harder to play than darklings and giants, and Yetis might actually be slightly easier than those. But otherwise it's a struggle to get any of these factions to work. I really don't understand why the Shapeshifters were gimped so hard; they do NOT feel OP to me at all.

Acolytes are definitely playable and can win network with ease in my experience. Shapeshifters are OP even if you don't feel that way. Not sure what else to tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max M.
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With expansion sheet released at Essen 2015 and a big box edition now out, do you guys still think there will be other expansions? Any rumours about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian H
Germany
flag msg tools
i would have the same question ... ? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.