Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just got this game...

The examples in the rulebook refer to the merchants by using names of Robin Hood characters... Little John, Maid Marion, etc. I assume this is merely a leftover from the previous version of SoN ('Robin Hood'), and thusly should not be taken as an inference that the merchants in SoN are in any way linked to the Robin Hood narrative? And by extension, I assume the Robin Hood narrative is also not part of this version?

I mean, it’d be cool if it was. But I get the feeling that the RH narrative was purposely dropped from SoN which is why I assume the names in the rulebook are leftover from the old game.

(And the fact that I'm even asking this question tells you how much time I've got on my hands)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't have the game yet, but the sheriff of nottingham is considered to be the primary antagonist in the Robin Hood legend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game still has the Robin Hood theme.

The use of the specific character names from the Robin Hood story is a stand-in for using generic player names like "Bob" and "Sally" - they are not some sort of "leftover", they are a thematically-appropriate choice for example players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

esswhy wrote:
Well, I don't have the game yet, but the sheriff of nottingham is considered to be the primary antagonist in the Robin Hood legend

Yeah, I get that, but it seems that's where the Robin Hood narrative/saga stops. From what I can tell, the story of this game centers around a bunch of nameless local merchants who're trying to sell their goods in the town of Nottingham, with the Sheriff of Nottingham being their obstacle.

So it seems that the Sherif is the only associatin with the Robin Hood legend (though could certainly exist outside the Robin Hood legend, which is where I think the story of this game is at). So despite the use of character's names from the Robin Hood legend througout the examples in the rulebook, I get the feeling that they're not supposed to be part of this (SoN) story.

Just wondering about this so I know how to explain them when I put the game on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a part of the "Robin Hood" legend because you're playing merchants that live in the Robin Hood world - you just aren't Robin Hood and co.

The King has gotten greedy, and wants the good stuff for himself. (This is why stuff that's not particularly dangerous is contraband). The Sheriff is helping him out for a cut and some shady deals.

This is all explained in the rulebook, which you apparently read.

And in the end, it doesn't really matter whatsoever.

But, yes, the intention is an association with Robin Hood. You do not play as the actual, named protagonists from Robin Hood ever, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jexhai wrote:
You do not play as the actual, named protagonists from Robin Hood ever, though.

OK. It was the drawings of Robin Hood, and Maid Marion, etc (but sans names) on the Merchant Cards that had me wondering, is all. I thought it'd be cool to get the rest of the family involved in the Robin Hood story if the game was setup such that instead of playing as common Merchants, they were Characters out of the RH story. Again, the artwork on the Mrchant cards would support such a notion, if the game's backstory allowed for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's your game, in your own house, do whatever you want dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.