Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just really got into Board gaming about 1 year ago September. Of course I played the mainstream games - Monopoly (many versions), Mouse Trap, Bonkers. You know as a kid the Milton Bradley or Parker Brother games. I did as a kid sprinkle in some of the non-traditional games like Dragon Master, Thieves guild, and a few others but had no idea of the board game world I was missing. Until about a year and a half ago I purchased Shadows Over Camelot, because I thought it looked cool with no idea of the board gaming adventure I was about to embark on.

This being a 3-7 player game, I really had no one to play with. Me and the wife did test it though just to get the feel of the game, but she is not into board gaming anyway. And I didn't have any friends here in Minesota to play with as I had moved here only about 4 years ago (at the time) and didn't get out much because I had a family and all.

Until one day I was really getting the urge to play my Shadows over Camelot game, so I started surfing the net for some sort of board game clubs not knowing at all if such a thing even existed, but I was hoping/assuming that it did as I did know of Magic and its hearty following.

None the less I did find a gaming group in the area of Minnesota I am in (St Paul/Minneapolis). I had posted a message on their message board on this Yahoo group regarding the urgent plea to play this game that was calling to me every night. I received a few responses to my post stating that they have played and would be willing to play. I was invited to their weekly get together at the local game store, so I decided to go ahead and go. Much to my amazement there were at least 10 people enjoying this wonderful hobby of board gaming 5 on some game I cannot rememeber and 5 on Arkam Horror. I introduced myself and was invited to join in on the Arkam Horror game. I had absolutly had no idea how to play this game as I was a novice to this new world. After the night was over, which seemed to end quicker than it took me to drive to this store (obviously not true as I was there for about 4hrs and only takes 20 mins to get there). I was sad to have the night end but was over joyed to experience the new world of non-traditional board gaming. I have prior to this try Mage Knight which didn't really fill the void.

Now after about 1 year and one month of attending this weekly event, I have over the course of this year accumulated about 50 games or so (you can look at my game list and see what I have, I have by the way included some of the games I had as a kid as well).

I owe all of my game purchases to the Geek (except of course Shadows), because I usually go to my local game store look at the games they have make a list of ones that look good to me and the rush to my computer to see the reviews on the Geek. My process is like this, I only really consider games that are 6.5 or better - although I do know that there may be some games that I have to "risk" it and go a bit lower than 6.5 because I may be missing a decent game. Anyway, I read the first page of reviews on the high end (all of the praises of the game) then I go to the last page of the reviews (all of the negative reactions to the game) and make my decision from there on if I should make this game part of my collection. So far this strategy has not failed me yet as I enjoy about 98% of all the games I have purchased in the last year.

This experience has enlightened my to a whole new world, now I look at people who play Monopoly funny - so I shake my head and grin thinking back to the time when the only boardgame universe I knew of Monopoly was King.

THANK YOU BOARDGAME GEEK FOR BEING THERE FOR ME AND HELPING ME MAKE THE BOARD GAME PURCHASING MUCH EASIER AND ENJOYABLE.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hageman
United States
Hugo
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Boardgame Geek, best thing since sliced bread - my story
Nice story! always good to hear about another MN gamer

I'm assuming you are talking about the source?

If you are looking for more gaming let me know. I recently started up a St. Paul gaming group that is open to new players. Shoot me a message if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The crazy thing is, the Source is where I purchase my games but I play them at Dreamers in St Louis Park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hang Man wrote:
Nice story! always good to hear about another MN gamer

I'm assuming you are talking about the source?

If you are looking for more gaming let me know. I recently started up a St. Paul gaming group that is open to new players. Shoot me a message if you are interested.

Do you play out of your house, or do you play at a game store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
By the way I did finally play Shadows over Camelot (obviously) at one of the Weekly games sessions, just not the first night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.