Popular Tags: [View All]
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the two words that she mutters after looking at the cross road card be literally what is on the card?

By this I specifically mean can she say: "Need food" if the crisis is food? To me, thats kinda lame. and I wouldnt say anything that is on the card itself. Id go for hunger, even though its the same connotation. Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's lame about that?
"Need Food" could mean that the crisis requires food cards, or that the fail effect has to do with food, or that Talia is a damn liar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like its lame because it is literally whats on the card. I mean, its just my opinion but thats just what I think. I just wanted to see what the restrictions are, regardless of my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't any official restrictions on what your 2 words can be, as far as I know:
They can be "Food Medicine", or they can be the ever-popular "We're screwed", or "Not telling!".. or even "Kalvin Connor".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
"We're screwed"...

Hey, we use that one a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that as one player kept saying "Need Food" and "Need Tools" and "Need Fuel" all the time that we're only making use of half the available hint. I recommend omitting the word "Need" and provide a hint at the result of Failure. Something like "Food; Unimportant" or "Food; Swarms" or "Fuel; Morale" are way more useful.

To address the original question, this isn't the 100,000 Dollar Pyramid. It makes sense that Talia would want to give as precise information as she can, even if the details do get all fuzzy after she comes out of her trance.

You also wouldn't get anywhere by strictly prohibiting her from saying the words on the cards, because "Need Food" doesn't appear on the cards. There's a symbol for the stuff you need and that's rather impossible to pronounce, so you'd need a more complicated variant rule than that.

Finally, the cards pretty much all need Food, Tools, Fuel, and/or Pills. Maybe some require Weapons or Outsiders, but I've yet to experience them. The players can just assume that these items are going to come up on a future crisis card, so wasting them frivolously is always a terrible idea, until maybe the penultimate day. Talia's only benefit in giving the other players a clue if she just says "Need X" all the time is knowing which is next. Restricting that seems unreasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Solt
United States
Palmerton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided that if I ever get this person, I am going to play it thematically. I will pick two words with some obscure reference that one person at the table should get. That way they have to work for it. I know it may not be in the best interest of winning to do this. But I am a firm believer that in a game like this, the fun aspect should trump everything. Besides, if two words are going to make or break this game, then some pretty poor decisions were made early on. That's not on me. Blame the betrayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to be honest, like people have said, you always need X. And its almost always food, gas, or medicine. Rarely has tools ever come up for me (only once in 5 plays).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
"We're screwed"...

We use a variation of it that I can't type out exactly without getting moderated and making women blush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Arbogast
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soltydog wrote:
I've decided that if I ever get this person, I am going to play it thematically. I will pick two words with some obscure reference that one person at the table should get. That way they have to work for it. I know it may not be in the best interest of winning to do this. But I am a firm believer that in a game like this, the fun aspect should trump everything. Besides, if two words are going to make or break this game, then some pretty poor decisions were made early on. That's not on me. Blame the betrayer.

This is what I do. 'Famine, plagues' was one that I used when we needed food and medicine. Made the other players stop, and then think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
evilnox wrote:
Frantic Ferret wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
"We're screwed"...

We use a variation of it that I can't type out exactly without getting moderated and making women blush.

"Who farted?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It also leaves the door open for your best Willow Rosenberg impression:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
"We're screwed"

BTW, just an off-topic linguistic question: How many words compose this question in English? Two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vlasak wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
"We're screwed"

BTW, just an off-topic linguistic question: How many words compose this question in English? Two?

technically 3 but we're is one word meaning we are. But we're is one word that signifiys two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sircaradoc wrote:
vlasak wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
"We're screwed"

technically 3 but we're is one word meaning we are. But we're is one word that signifiys two.

And thus brings us to the meta-gaming strategies: creating new words that explain more.

Such as:
Trizompolschfuel (Tri-zom-pol-sch-fuel)

N. A warning that if fuel is not spent on the next crisis three zombies will be added to the school and police station.

Antibimorfood

N. The removal of two morale if food is not used on a crisis.

“We can best help you to prevent war not by repeating your words and following your methods but by finding new words and creating new methods.”
--Virginia Woolf

“English is such a deliciously complex and undisciplined language, we can bend, fuse, distort words to all our purposes..."
--Dr. Willard Gaylin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
JCChrono wrote:
sircaradoc wrote:
vlasak wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:
"We're screwed"

And thus brings us to the meta-gaming strategies: creating new words that explain more.

Such as:
Trizompolschfuel (Tri-zom-pol-sch-fuel)

N. A warning that if fuel is not spent on the next crisis three zombies will be added to the school and police station.

Antibimorfood

N. The removal of two morale if food is not used on a crisis.

“We can best help you to prevent war not by repeating your words and following your methods but by finding new words and creating new methods.”
--Virginia Woolf

“English is such a deliciously complex and undisciplined language, we can bend, fuse, distort words to all our purposes..."
--Dr. Willard Gaylin

A perfectly cromulent strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, you have just embiggened the playing field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An even bigger concern of mine though, is what can the player say after Talia's two words? If they say, "Food important," they decided to not give us any important info about the 2nd crisis they saw. But what if that player later says something like, "You should hang on to that medicine."? Did they now just add 7 more words?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. They are given a rule that allows them to say exactly two words about the crisis cards they saw. No more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
An even bigger concern of mine though, is what can the player say after Talia's two words? If they say, "Food important," they decided to not give us any important info about the 2nd crisis they saw. But what if that player later says something like, "You should hang on to that medicine."? Did they now just add 7 more words?

I kind of dont even want to play with talia any more. Everything about her is too vage. Like, I guarantee you'll slip up if you have some knowledge of the future. How can you see the future and literally only be able to communicate 2 words to everyone about it?

Thematicly, it makes no sense. And what was said before, you can just make up words that are longer words that means ton of things but thats a strech too. So, I think ill house rule her out. Its not that shes not cool or useful. I just personally dont like anything about her
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what it's supposed to be is that Talia can see into the future a little bit, but she wants to keep the information to herself. But while she's in her trance, she accidentally lets two words slip out.

So the player is supposed to give the group two words that may help them know what's coming, but they shouldn't even want to give more info than that. So Talia's player would be able to use the information to their own advantage -- to help them complete their own secret objectives. But it's perhaps too dangerous to give the rest of the group more info because there could be a betrayer and/or the other players might use the info to further their own goals to the detriment of the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I guess what it's supposed to be is that Talia can see into the future a little bit, but she wants to keep the information to herself. But while she's in her trance, she accidentally lets two words slip out.

So the player is supposed to give the group two words that may help them know what's coming, but they shouldn't even want to give more info than that. So Talia's player would be able to use the information to their own advantage -- to help them complete their own secret objectives. But it's perhaps too dangerous to give the rest of the group more info because there could be a betrayer and/or the other players might use the info to further their own goals to the detriment of the other players.

I like to interpret it that Talia goes into a trance, speaks her two words of what she sees in the future, then snaps out of it with no memory of what she saw. It is up to the player to then not reveal any more information than the two words that were allowed. I haven't found it to be all that hard yet in the two times I've played her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
I like to interpret it that Talia goes into a trance, speaks her two words of what she sees in the future, then snaps out of it with no memory of what she saw. It is up to the player to then not reveal any more information than the two words that were allowed. I haven't found it to be all that hard yet in the two times I've played her.

What if you say, "Fuel. Food," because there is a fuel crisis followed by a food crisis, but you also notice that failing the fuel crisis brings tons of zombies onto the board? So everyone starts trying to find fuel, but you want to put up some barricades in case the crisis fails.

Are you not supposed to do that because Talia shouldn't remember anything about the consequences of the fuel crisis? Just the word "fuel"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.