Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Benson
United States
Dublin
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Caverna and loved it.
I played All Creatures Big and Small and enjoyed it.
I tried Agricola and hated it (haven't tried family version).

Does anyone know of a way to play Agricola that is more like ACBaS? I like the building the pens for the animals but wished it also had the farming aspect but LOVED that there was no feed the people element.

I didn't see anything in the variant section on making Agricola more like ACBaS. Maybe the family version does that but I am under the impression that family is just a 'no cards' version.

Any knowledge of playing Agricola like an ACBaS with farming as well as animal breeding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one sure fire way to play agricola like ACBaS. Take a sharpie. Get your ACBaS box and scribble out the name. Then write AGRICOLA in big letters.

But seriously... don't feel bad for not liking agricola. Just enjoy it's relatives like you are currently doing.

I have personally never understood the question: "How can I play game 25 like game ABC?" I mean I understand if it is one mechanic(my play group ignores LoS as written in both Descent 1st ed and Doom) but that is only one out of literally 100's of rules that we had a minor problem with.

Enjoy what you like. I am sure there are other games out there that fit what you are looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Remove all categorical scoring limits; thus, if you can manage to accumulate fifty veggies, you will score fifty points. Also, cut all feeding requirements in half.

That should successfully remove all play tension from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just play the ones you like and not bother with the one you hated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
We play a fair amount of these three games, agricola almost always family style, the cards are cumbersome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Dublin
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:
Why not just play the ones you like and not bother with the one you hated?

Well, cause I already own it. I like the idea of farming and animal raising and I fear ACBaS will lend itself to getting a system and then the game after a while will be repetative whereas Agricola can be more than two and also has the card feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
wojtkielewicz67 wrote:
We play a fair amount of these three games, agricola almost always family style, the cards are cumbersome.

The cards make the game. With out them it is just another soulless Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting the 'why' to one side, I guess you could re-implement Agricola like ACBaS.

My suggestion would be to do it like this:
- Everyone starts with a house with three wooden rooms and three family members. However, during the game you can't build any more rooms and you can't add family members.
- Food to start with is as normal.
- Since you can't build rooms and can't grow your family, the family growth action spaces are out of the game and 'build rooms and/or stables' is reduced to 'build stables'.
- The game lasts 12 rounds instead of 14. However, all round cards are available from the start (to get a decent supply of animals).
- The game has a harvest after each two rounds. Feeding is 1 food per worker (i.e. 2 food in total per player). Harvest fields and breed animals as normal.
- Scoring: 1 point per animal, 1 point per vegetable, 1/2 point per grain, 1 point per field, 1 point per pasture, 1 point per clay room, 2 points per stone room, 1 point per fenced stable, -1 point for an unused space.
- Cards: remove cards that relate to room-building or family growth from the game. From the remaining cards, draw 7 occupations and 7 minor improvements per player and display them on the table. Anyone playing an occupation or minor improvement can pick from those still on display (just like the major improvements).
- Action cards for extra players: add these as normal (full game side, not family game).

I realize that this will probably be completely unbalanced, but I'm just trying to come up with something that would work for OP

For extra ACBaS fun, you could even include some buildings from ACBas (expansions) that you can build unto your farm.

I considered eliminating feeding from the game completely, but that would make a lot of action spaces and most major improvements useless...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben, just stick with what works, ACBaS. It's a fun game.

I too am among those rare gamers who despise Agricola (three-and-a-half plays was enough to convince me I disliked it intensely) but though I don't own it anymore, I actually wound up actually enjoying ACBaS. Playtime, less punishing, etc all made it much more fun than it's big brother. ACBaS is the only Rosenberg I've found I like at all (though I might play Le Havre again if there were no other games in the room, whereas if Agricola was the only game in the room, I'd rather stare at a wall while poking myself in the eye with a sharp pencil for three hours), outside of my love for Rosenberg's criminally under-rated and overlooked Merkator.

The other way you could consider house-ruling Agricola to actually make it palatable is to remove absolute choice denial from the game ... someone already taken all the clay or wood? That's okay, your worker can still go to that blocked spot and take some "always available" minimum number of that resource. None of this, sorry, you have third turn again, all the resources you need are gone, too bad. Sorry about your family starving and you having no chance to win 25% of the way through a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Dublin
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janwillemvl wrote:
Putting the 'why' to one side, I guess you could re-implement Agricola like ACBaS.

My suggestion would be to do it like this:
- Everyone starts with a house with three wooden rooms and three family members. However, during the game you can't build any more rooms and you can't add family members.
- Food to start with is as normal.
- Since you can't build rooms and can't grow your family, the family growth action spaces are out of the game and 'build rooms and/or stables' is reduced to 'build stables'.
- The game lasts 12 rounds instead of 14. However, all round cards are available from the start (to get a decent supply of animals).
- The game has a harvest after each two rounds. Feeding is 1 food per worker (i.e. 2 food in total per player). Harvest fields and breed animals as normal.
- Scoring: 1 point per animal, 1 point per vegetable, 1/2 point per grain, 1 point per field, 1 point per pasture, 1 point per clay room, 2 points per stone room, 1 point per fenced stable, -1 point for an unused space.
- Cards: remove cards that relate to room-building or family growth from the game. From the remaining cards, draw 7 occupations and 7 minor improvements per player and display them on the table. Anyone playing an occupation or minor improvement can pick from those still on display (just like the major improvements).
- Action cards for extra players: add these as normal (full game side, not family game).

I realize that this will probably be completely unbalanced, but I'm just trying to come up with something that would work for OP

For extra ACBaS fun, you could even include some buildings from ACBas (expansions) that you can build unto your farm.

I considered eliminating feeding from the game completely, but that would make a lot of action spaces and most major improvements useless...

Thanks so much for this. I will try it. I will also give standard Agricola another chance, maybe it will grow on me. Thanks for your suggestion though, I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Dublin
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Ben, just stick with what works, ACBaS. It's a fun game.

I too am among those rare gamers who despise Agricola (three-and-a-half plays was enough to convince me I disliked it intensely) but though I don't own it anymore, I actually wound up actually enjoying ACBaS. Playtime, less punishing, etc all made it much more fun than it's big brother. ACBaS is the only Rosenberg I've found I like at all (though I might play Le Havre again if there were no other games in the room, whereas if Agricola was the only game in the room, I'd rather stare at a wall while poking myself in the eye with a sharp pencil for three hours), outside of my love for Rosenberg's criminally under-rated and overlooked Merkator.

The other way you could consider house-ruling Agricola to actually make it palatable is to remove absolute choice denial from the game ... someone already taken all the clay or wood? That's okay, your worker can still go to that blocked spot and take some "always available" minimum number of that resource. None of this, sorry, you have third turn again, all the resources you need are gone, too bad. Sorry about your family starving and you having no chance to win 25% of the way through a game.

Thanks for your response. I will check out Merkator. I also saw the is a 2-player version of Le Havre, I am going to check that out too. Though I still need to play Le Havre, it looks more forgiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:

Thanks so much for this. I will try it. I will also give standard Agricola another chance, maybe it will grow on me. Thanks for your suggestion though, I appreciate it.

You're welcome, have fun! Remember that I came up with it while thinking about it during lunchtime, so I'm sure I forgot a couple of things. For starters: -1 point per missing animal kind and points for improvents, but I'm sure you would've caught that

Share your experiences!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2p Agricola is easily playable in an hour so I can't understand those complaining about the time length. Yeah, 5p can drag but ACBaS is only 2p so it's not like you can really compare the two outside of that player count!

OP, it sounds like you like Rosenberg's later designs which involve less tension. If you like 2p, look into Fields of Arle. It's a Rosenberg design through and through but without the tense atmosphere of Gric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Dublin
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
If you like 2p, look into Fields of Arle.

Thanks. Will do. I actually just bought the iOS Agricola to give it some practice and see if I change my mind, I want to like it. haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:
If you like 2p, look into Fields of Arle.

Thanks. Will do. I actually just bought the iOS Agricola to give it some practice and see if I change my mind, I want to like it. haha.

Fields of Arle is definitely worth a look if you are looking for a lower tension version of Agricola. While you don't build fences for pasture you do build stalls and stables to house animals, while slowly reclaiming land from the sea to expand your farm. Feeding your family is very low stress in this game. There is also the interesting addition of vehicles, which allow you to travel to other towns to trade goods. All in all a great 2p only Uwe game. I just played my first game of Agricola with Moe and enjoyed it, but it is definitely higher stress than Fields of Arle. Rahdo does a great runthrough that is worth checking out:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
wojtkielewicz67 wrote:

The cards make the game. With out them it is just another soulless Euro a tenser version of the "full" game.

FTFY.

But seriously, the family version is unexpectedly far more tense to play than the full version as getting cut out of what you need (which your opponent will know as you don't have any cards to hide behind) really hurts (because you won't have any cards to weasel your way out of a pickle). Call it an unexpected design quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hawk-x- wrote:
corkysru wrote:
wojtkielewicz67 wrote:

The cards make the game. With out them it is just another soulless Euro a tenser version of the "full" game.

FTFY.

But seriously, the family version is unexpectedly far more tense to play than the full version as getting cut out of what you need (which your opponent will know as you don't have any cards to hide behind) really hurts (because you won't have any cards to weasel your way out of a pickle). Call it an unexpected design quality.

Heh. You want a tense game? Play sideways Jinteki: Replicating Perfection versus Gabe or Kate(Android: Netrunner reference).

You want a soulless Euro with no flair or need for creative playing... play the family edition of Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonicwarhol wrote:
I tried Agricola and hated it (haven't tried family version).

One's first play of Agricola should usually be the family version, but you probably would have hated it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:

One's first play of Agricola should usually be the family version, but you probably would have hated it anyway.

I'll dissent to this. I see no reason to ever play the family version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
stevepop wrote:

I agree with Lawcomic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
stevepop wrote:

Someone who loves Agricola introduces a new player to the game, but finds the family version boring so insists on using the cards. New player gets overwhelmed, hates the experience, and never plays again. I've seen it happen. I'd use cards with some veteran gamers I know, but I wouldn't insist on it with everyone even though I'll probably enjoy the game less. Anyway, old argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:
stevepop wrote:

Someone who loves Agricola introduces a new player to the game, but finds the family version boring so insists on using the cards. New player gets overwhelmed, hates the experience, and never plays again. I've seen it happen. I'd use cards with some veteran gamers I know, but I wouldn't insist on it with everyone even though I'll probably enjoy the game less. Anyway, old argument.

Was taught Agricola on Sunday, the family version. It made for a great learning experience and now I am looking forward to trying it with the cards. FYI, I am an experienced gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
stevepop wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:
stevepop wrote:

Was taught Agricola on Sunday, the family version. It made for a great learning experience and now I am looking forward to trying it with the cards. FYI, I am an experienced gamer.

I am an experienced gamer and I learned the full game, with farmers of the moor and the k and Z decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
stevepop wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:
stevepop wrote:

I am an experienced gamer and I learned the full game, with farmers of the moor and the k and Z decks.

Looking forward to the full experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.