James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Looking for sci fi novels or short stories that address the question, "If there are so many likely habitable planets out there, then where are all the aliens? Why haven't they visited us?" I know there must be many of them but can't think of them.

Of course there is the speed of light problem. But still...

Here's a related, recent new story:

There may be more Earth-like planets than grains of sand on all our beaches
New research contends that the Milky Way alone is flush with billions of potentially habitable planets -- and that's just one sliver of the universe.

If the estimates of 40 billion Earth-sized planets in habitable zones of sun-like or red dwarf stars in the Milky Way and the estimate of the 100 billion to 200 billion galaxies in the universe are accurate -- and if the average galaxy has roughly the same number of Earth cousins as the Milky Way, then the chances that we are the only planet with life are more like one in 6 sextillion.

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-milky-way-is-flush-with-habitab...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Looking for a specific kind of sci fi book...
More and more I think my greatest wish is a workable FTL drive... The thought of all that out there, and not being able to go take a look around in person... (sigh!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
FTL travel still needs to address the dilation between sidereal time and relativistic time before we can trust it to travel great distances and not get disconnected from our "normal time stream". Then we can find those ETs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
So, any sci fi authors who have addressed this question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
May not be quite what you are looking for but I enjoyed the book Spin, which is about aliens, but more like "What happens when evidence of a vastly superior intelligence just shows up and alters the world, but we have no idea what they are doing or why?" The book doesn't even show the aliens and then completely different aliens show up... I don't want to spoil it... but the story of the political wranglings and the effect on the world is compelling.

Might be worth the thought provoking nature of how we view ourselves in this massive universe we call home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Baxter's Manifold trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
mister lunch wrote:
May not be quite what you are looking for but I enjoyed the book Spin, which is about aliens, but more like "What happens when evidence of a vastly superior intelligence just shows up and alters the world, but we have no idea what they are doing or why?" The book doesn't even show the aliens and then completely different aliens show up... I don't want to spoil it... but the story of the political wranglings and the effect on the world is compelling.

Might be worth the thought provoking nature of how we view ourselves in this massive universe we call home.

Excellent. I've actually read this one. One of my favorite sci books. I really need to read this one again... Thanks for the reminder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/fermi_paradox

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/25801.Best_Books_About_t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

In case you didn't click the link because you already know what the Fermi Paradox is, that first link has a ton of different books.

I would think the concept of a Singularity (as in some of Vernor Vinge's works) would be another answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Looking for sci fi novels or short stories that address the question, "If there are so many likely habitable planets out there, then where are all the aliens? Why haven't they visited us?" I know there must be many of them but can't think of them.

Contact, by Carl Segan.
It doesn't present a solution, but it addresses the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky has an interesting take on that concept. It's not the most readable book, but it's very thoughtful.

Also, Gateway by Frederick Pohl, as I recall it, speaks somewhat to that point, but that's not really the focus of the book. It's a good read, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

It may not match exactly, but I finished Eiffelheim a few months back and it is definitely about ETs visiting us. And I thought it was a good read as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
The Crystal Spheres by David Brin addresses this.

It's a short story. It's really, really good, but always produces a profound, cosmic sadness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds?

That addresses the Fermi Paradox, it is the main point of the book. The main character is trying to find an answer to why humanity hasn't bumped into intelligent aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to write about the absence of something. Except in the rare cases where searching for an answer is the point, at most it's likely to be an aside. For example Dune mentions that the reason for the retention of atomic weapons is in case aliens are ever encountered. But that's it. Asimov wrote outside his science fiction about the absence of aliens in it (in Foundation) but put that down to avoiding conflict with Campbell. And so on.

Now if you want really hard, try science fiction (not fantasy) with no humans, just aliens. At novel length. Aliens as central characters not enough, not allowed even the concept of human (including evolved humans). I recall a novel by John Brunner that qualified (but not its name). I'm sure there are more, but they aren't common (for obvious reasons of lack of identification).

And technical answers like Star Wars (can't really be human because of the long time ago in a Galaxy far away) don't count either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
It's hard to write about the absence of something. Except in the rare cases where searching for an answer is the point, at most it's likely to be an aside. For example Dune mentions that the reason for the retention of atomic weapons is in case aliens are ever encountered. But that's it. Asimov wrote outside his science fiction about the absence of aliens in it (in Foundation) but put that down to avoiding conflict with Campbell. And so on.

Now if you want really hard, try science fiction (not fantasy) with no humans, just aliens. At novel length. Aliens as central characters not enough, not allowed even the concept of human (including evolved humans). I recall a novel by John Brunner that qualified (but not its name). I'm sure there are more, but they aren't common (for obvious reasons of lack of identification).

And technical answers like Star Wars (can't really be human because of the long time ago in a Galaxy far away) don't count either.

The John Brunner one was The Crucible of Time I think.

Another no human SF novel would be Hello Summer, Goodbye (also called Pallahaxi Tide and also Rax) by Michael G. Coney. The sequel (which was written and published a long time after) has humans arriving on the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Might I suggest Jack Glass: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13235961-jack-glass

This is really more of a series of three stories all sort of tying itself together with a central figure. The first is a pretty grizzly submarine story, the second a locked room murder mystery, and the third is a little harder to pin down. Most of the fun of the book is getting to the end where things tie themselves together (sort of) so I don't really want to talk more specifically about it.

That said, there are no ET's and it gets discussed, and I think you'd enjoy the speculation the characters engage in regarding that issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
FTL travel still needs to address the dilation between sidereal time and relativistic time before we can trust it to travel great distances and not get disconnected from our "normal time stream". Then we can find those ETs.

I read a book just a few summers back from the 60s.. it was about a ship that had headed out to some far off planet to populate it with earthlings.. it took several generations to get there and by then the dynamics of the ships hierarchy had all changed and anyway the new planet had already been populated but when they got there the planet had already been populated so they decided that they should head back to earth rather than being killed but on the way the ship had turned into a whole "Lord of the flies" meets cult of Joseph kind of thing and it was just a brutal social nightmare...

Long story short they couldn't turn off the FTL just right (due to thew engineering class in their society being murdered or some such) and the relative time between them and the Earth was all screwed up when they did get close enough.. not going to spoil the rest but wow.. I wish I remember the name of that book. Famous classic author.. anyone else remember this one? The whole book was dark and twisted and ahead of its time. Felt more like a horror.. space tragedy with a weird 60s vibe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.