Kay King
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been a member of BGG for years... I remember that when I first set up an account I was completely overwhelmed. Here I was, fresh new face, first brought into the hobby by of all things, Munchkin, and I felt so lost. Ive never been too keen to browse forums, and with so many links and tabs, I dont really know where to start. (Like right now, as I write this, Im afraid its in the wrong place. Please move it if it is.)

I've recently decided to try and plunge into the geek! I scan through popular articles, click on links, and my favorite thing ever is my discovery of the deals at the bottom of the page! I feel awful, because I know that the're tons of people who probably love the site just the way it is... but is it user-friendly? I have the most basic knowledge of HTML, and sometimes the post are so "pimped out" I sit in awe at the blinking emoticons and gifs. I use the app all the time to log plays, and I've been using this site to archive my collection; both of which I feel are lacking in content and user interface.

Maybe I'm wishing for a separate website(currently eagerly awaiting the new Dice Tower site). I guess my point is, how do you guys cope? I feel like Im missing out on so much! And more importantly, is there a post for beginners I should be reading? Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hidden BGG Features I Wish I Knew As a Newbie

Most Useful Geeklists, Threads, Quickbars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kay,

I do agree, there are a hell of a lot of site features some of which are many of which can be difficult to find and the site itself is huge and so navigating back to a particular forum can be tricky until you know how.

Gulp!

When I started I remember feeling totally overwhelmed by the site and the community, where it seemed that everyone knew everyone else. I thought I'd never get an avatar let alone feel at home on the site. Now, I do.

What I found helpful:

1. Just enjoy the site - you don't have to use all the features.
2. Take part on the forums be it chit chat or recommendations or elsewhere.
3. Ask questions (asking questions is a valuable contribution because for everyone that asks there are 10+ people who don't).
4. Subscribe to the 'New Users questions' forum and try to welcome and help out new users. I learned everything I know about the site when trying to answer other users' questions.
5. Check out some of the guides:

Every-Gamer BGG Guides

PS:
I've also been working on a tour of the site guide... off work next week so perhaps I'll get it posted then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, I occasionally visited this site to look up sports-related games and a few other things. I thought the site was interesting because you could look at pictures of the game. I didn't realize how much was going on here until much later. I've learned most of what I know about BGG just by poking around. It has been a fun journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I still only use a small portion of the site. Maybe about half.

I use the descriptions, file areas, and forums in the game databases.
I subscribe to forums in every game I have.
I keep my collection and profile information current.
I browse through other users' collections and profiles.
I rate all my games and post comments.
I read and post game reviews and variants.
I use the Auction Metalist and the Auction Aggregator a lot.
The discovery of the QuickBar was like the greatest thing ever!
I used the trading tools to make some decent trades.

For the forums, I mainly live in the Game Design forums, the Recommendations forums, and the Kickstarter Family forums. I don't visit the others very much unless I see something interesting in "Recent Threads".

I don't visit chit-chat or most of the forums.
I have bought a few promos in the Geekstore, though not very much.
I don't read or post session reports or strategy tips for games.
I don't visit much geeklists or use the marketplace very much.
I don't log plays.
I don't use the app.
I don't moderate.
I don't sell things in the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Hunt
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some posts have fancy content and some don't. Some posts have interesting content and some don't. Those two criteria are not the same. Post interesting content and you should get replies regardless of fanciness.

If you experiment, you can always click preview to see if you got it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a bit intimidating at first, I agree

I'm sure there are features here that I just dont know about, and would use/enjoy.

But I'm ok with just browsing the general forums, and subscribing to any game specific forums (ie usually any game I'm currently playing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I liked about this site when I first joined was that it was laid out in a way that was easy to understand.

If I ran into something I couldn't figure out, people were very helpful.

Even if they had been helpful years ago, it was still there, waiting for me to run into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, I mostly still have no idea how to use the site efficiently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree! I fear (and am sure) that there are so many features that I know nothing about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takacs Gyorgy
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmb
I felt the same. I've been a member for 5 years, but I've started to use most of the features only this year.
The Beasts of War site sends a tutorial to the new users about their forums and features, maybe this could have been added to BGG too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Sure! Come on over to Chit Chat! The water's warm! We have a great time posting about anything *but* games! You'll be lost for awhile catching up on all the memes but I'm lost half the time too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

Sure! Come on over to Chit Chat! The water's warm! We have a great time posting about anything *but* games! You'll be lost for awhile catching up on all the memes but I'm lost half the time too.

Chit Chat seems like the BGG's version of the Bermuda Triangle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

Chit Chat seems like the BGG's version of the Bermuda Triangle.

That's why I'm always prepared for high water!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

Sure! Come on over to Chit Chat! The water's warm! We have a great time posting about anything *but* games!

Just hold on tightly to your soul... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raúl Ramírez
Spain
Canals
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I registered years ago, mostly for lurk images and download some files. Recently I stard using it a little, to keep my collection, and I'm feeling that is big. Humongous zombie. I'm feeling that I can't use the forums because I can lose all the day reading, and many features that I don't even know.
Maybe is not the most user-friendly web, but BGG has so much info that seems impossible to make it more.

Still, I like it. I just wish there were more Spaniards using it, to trade and comunicate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.