Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Use a sword, go to prison rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The banner ad about the sword giveaway cracks me up. I keep thinking of the Michael Moore documentary "Bowling for Columbine" in which he walks into a bank, opens an account and is given a free rifle as a thank you gift. Is it a good idea to put real weapons in the hands of gamers?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
Roger Yim wrote:
Is it a good idea to put real weapons in the hands of gamers?

Well, most gamers just aren't coordinated enough to handle a grenade launcher (let alone most blade weapons) with their feet. Of course, most gamers are too lazy to practice...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


*Hides the Shotokan Gi in his closet*

Wha? Don't mind me...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
7 swords, 2 axes, a mace, a flail and several other small daggers and knives means I have no room to talk either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...they are just for home defense....

Honest!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A shot of whiskey and my bare hands is all I've ever needed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of us have studied the use of pointed weaponry... ninja

(Hey, we've got a ninja smiley and a pirate smiley -- we need a musketeer smiley!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
Insert any witty/stupid overtext you can think of here... I got nothing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rholzgrafe wrote:
Some of us have studied the use of pointed weaponry... ninja


Isn't that a problem, being the katana primarily a slashing weapon??

I'd love to participate, if I hadn't have one already. OK, OK, the blade is just 4' long, but it's beautiful nonetheless
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm...I always said that I needed knives with no guards, to make it easier to remove when someone who knew what they were doing took it away from me and shoved it...

Gimme a stick or a gun, any day. And I really hope I know which one to bring to any particular fight...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did ninja's use katanas? They seem a bit unsuited for stealth work...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
Insert any witty/stupid overtext you can think of here... I got nothing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Did ninja's use katanas? They seem a bit unsuited for stealth work...


Actually, they used the whole Daisho while doing espionage as a disguise, although they knew how to use them alright. The famous Ninjato is more of a myth than an actual ninja weapon, as it's stated in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjato

Most of the stealth assasination and such was made with poisons and small weapons, such as the Sai and Tanto (both used often in pairs). Shuriken were reserved for cases when it was too difficult or impossible to get close to the target.

ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My +3 Vorpal sword that can transfer 5 hit points to me from my opponent when a 20 is rolled with a strong personality and that will steal a hit point from me weekly until it does cause a death would get jealous if I brought another weapon into the house....

Guess I better not buy that game if I get a free sword...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I choose Wit. You're dead."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
modboy wrote:
A shot of whiskey and my bare hands is all I've ever needed.



How do you get them to drink the whiskey before you hit them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I learnt karate for self defense a while back, in case I got mugged in the street. I feel pretty safe now, although I would have to stop to take my shoes and socks off first.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All those fancy replica swords have really dull blades. And typically they are pretty fragile, so they tend to break, or at least break off bits of metal that make it very easy for forensics experts to track. You have to sharpen them for a long time and they dull quickly, so they're best used only once, and then thrown away. Don't forget to use gloves! Fingerprints are so troublesome. Best practice first using a watermelon taped to a post.

Happy swinging! (and I don't mean the dirty way)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yang style taiji. We learn to slice people to pieces really gracefully.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
All those fancy replica swords have really dull blades. And typically they are pretty fragile, so they tend to break, or at least break off bits of metal that make it very easy for forensics experts to track. You have to sharpen them for a long time and they dull quickly, so they're best used only once, and then thrown away. Don't forget to use gloves! Fingerprints are so troublesome. Best practice first using a watermelon taped to a post.

Happy swinging! (and I don't mean the dirty way)



My brother-in-law collects these fancy Lord of the Rings sword, and they are pretty frickin' sharp.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
Insert any witty/stupid overtext you can think of here... I got nothing
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
bookgnome wrote:
All those fancy replica swords have really dull blades. And typically they are pretty fragile, so they tend to break, or at least break off bits of metal that make it very easy for forensics experts to track. You have to sharpen them for a long time and they dull quickly, so they're best used only once, and then thrown away. Don't forget to use gloves! Fingerprints are so troublesome. Best practice first using a watermelon taped to a post.

Happy swinging! (and I don't mean the dirty way)



My brother-in-law collects these fancy Lord of the Rings sword, and they are pretty frickin' sharp.


Many replicas are indeed sharp (I own some fantasy swords replicas myself) they're just not as sturdy and durable as folded, tempered steel. Here's a very interesting article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana_construction
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.