Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
M├╝nchen
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it extremely annoying that again the ones who have bought the 1st edition are just left out.
For sure I will avoid games of this company in the future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Card sleeves to the rescue! I sleeve my cards anyway, so I don't even notice this extremely annoying thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
aww you so mad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You can use the new SoE roles and its Hinterlands challenge with first edition Pandemic out of the box. See the compatibility section of my BGG designer preview for further details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
I find it extremely annoying that again the ones who have bought the 1st edition are just left out.

The first edition was released eight years ago; get over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck avoiding anything from Z-Man. Them, Asmodee, and FFG are like the only ones left.

I believe Z-Man had an upgrade kit available on their website for awhile, which is a pretty common practice when there are big edition jumps (which many, many games do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:

i find it extremely annoying that people wont stop complaining about this
ever since board games were first invented, there have been new editions, revisions, updates, facelifts
this is the way it has always been and always will be
furthermore its the way it should be
things must change in order to progress/improve
board games mostly looked terrible 20 years ago by todays standards
and the artwork on the role cards in 1st edition pandemic certainly look terrible compared to 2nd edition

left out??! no one left you out!!
the company still has 'replacement decks' available at zmangames.com
a lot of companies would not have done that for you
if you don't want to give them more money, then get opaque-backed card sleeves
or just learn to be okay with different colored card backs - it doesn't break the game, just makes it a different experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I've stopped purchasing the core Pandemic product line as the company abandoned my business by rebooting their format, and making the upgrade kit cost prohibitive for me to get in Canada.

I don't hold them any ill will for doing so. I'm sure their new business outweighs my lost business. I am not entitled to be catered to in every decision they make as I am not the center of the universe.

And my existing Pandemic game still plays great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eddie, I'm sure you can find opaque-backed card sleeves that aren't cost prohibitive
thumbs up for not being .cranky. about the new edition

I gotta admit I haven't looked at the shipping prices for the replacement decks
the decks are priced $10 for base and $5 for otb, which seems decent to me
however, I will say this: I think they should charge less than that - especially if the shipping prices are high
after all, the only people who will order the replacement decks are people who have already given their money to Zman for the game
and if people are able to get the upgrade cheap, then they will be more likely to buy the new expansions, resulting in net profits for zman even if they sell the decks below cost
yet I believe there is a markup, I believe they are trying to make a profit from the decks themselves and I think that's wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
keckles wrote:
leberegel wrote:

ever since board games were first invented, there have been new editions, revisions, updates, facelifts
and the artwork on the role cards in 1st edition pandemic certainly look terrible compared to 2nd edition

or just learn to be okay with different colored card backs - it doesn't break the game, just makes it a different experience

I think it's a valid complaint. They could have simply used the same card backs and updated the artwork in the second edition. I sleeved mine and I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I think they could have pleased everyone if they had just done this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I've stopped purchasing the core Pandemic product line as the company abandoned my business by rebooting their format, and making the upgrade kit cost prohibitive for me to get in Canada.

I don't hold them any ill will for doing so. I'm sure their new business outweighs my lost business. I am not entitled to be catered to in every decision they make as I am not the center of the universe.

And my existing Pandemic game still plays great.

Just out of curiousity, have you checked shipping since Filosofia bought Z-Man? The last time I looked, these were being shipped from Canada, making it cost prohibitive for me to get in the USA.

I finally gave in and traded for a new edition of the base game, even though I like the components from the first edition better. You can always math trade away your first edition and get something out of it, maybe even more than it costs to get the new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
pk2317 wrote:

Just out of curiousity, have you checked shipping since Filosofia bought Z-Man? The last time I looked, these were being shipped from Canada, making it cost prohibitive for me to get in the USA.

I finally gave in and traded for a new edition of the base game, even though I like the components from the first edition better. You can always math trade away your first edition and get something out of it, maybe even more than it costs to get the new edition.

I've not checked until today, I've got plenty of other games to play.

Anyway, I took a look, and unfortunately the system threw "Error Code: Server CanadaPost : $ 0.00" when bringing up my shipping so who knows what the total cost actually is. But the base price of $18.25 Canadian for the cards is pretty outlandish, and I'm not really interested in even complaining about the error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
keckles wrote:
leberegel wrote:

I think it's a valid complaint. They could have simply used the same card backs and updated the artwork in the second edition. I sleeved mine and I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I think they could have pleased everyone if they had just done this.

when a person regards the change as simply a bummer or minor inconvenience, I think that's valid and I actually agree with them
but there are way too many people who act as though the zman group personally came straight into their homes and took a big steamy dump right on their faces - that's what I'm sick of and have lost all patience for

and I'm sorry if I've been rude about it - I guess I've seen too many complaints and I've reached a point where I just cant tolerate it any more
I think I really just wanted to show the complainers a different way of looking at the situation - to try to help them find a new perspective so they can learn to feel okay about it, embrace the change, enjoy the game again, and open themselves up to the larger pandemic world provided by the expansions
being nicer probably would've have helped to that end - I guess, at the time, I was trying to 'knock some sense into people'

could zman have pleased everyone by keeping the old card backs?
I doubt it - people will complain about anything
I feel sure there would've been a small but loud minority complaining "wtf, zman? you update the whole game except the card backs? so we're stuck with these lame old card backs, that look even older and lamer when paired with all the new, updated artwork? get it together, zman! i'll never buy your games again!"
(and I would probably have to partially agree with that - the old card backs would look kinda lame/outdated when paired with all the new style artwork)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Z-Man could have stopped producing Pandemic stuff altogether and first edition owners would be in the same or worse position than they are now.

I just can't understand consumers getting upset about the details of a product that they had never been promised in the first place.

The reboot honestly made a lot of sense. Pandemic is an incredible game that deserves recognition in the broader toys/games market. They simply couldn't achieve that with the old edition whose style only appealed to hobby gamers.

I think the reboot is having way more success than the original did. If it weren't for the reboot, then there's a good chance the new expansions and spin-off products would not have ever happened anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.