Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
If I Foul Stench a Mighty Attack, the M.A. misses, since there's no leader re-roll phase, right?

Same with Heads of the Fallen, I'd imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could argue it either way, actually. I was hoping someone more "in the know" would respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The text for Mighty Attack says "Forfeit the Leadership of one Companion to score one automatic hit." The relevant effect of both Foul Stench and Heads of the Fallen is to cancel the FP's Leader Reroll.

CASE 1: Foul Stench and Heads of the Fallen cancel Mighty Attack. They cancel the Leader Reroll, so there is no Leadership to forfeit.

CASE 2: Foul Stench and Heads of the Fallen do not cancel Mighty Attack. Assuming that Mighty Attack's automatic hit occurs in the Combat roll, this effect occurs before the effect of Foul Stench or Heads of the Fallen during the Leader Reroll, so the Companion's Leadership has already been forfeited.

CASE 3: It depends. If the cards affect each other in any way, the defender's card acts first. So, if the FP is attacking Foul Stench or Heads of the Fallen cancel the Companion's Leadership before Mighty Attack comes into play, but if the Shadow is attacking the Leadership is forfeited via Mighty Attack before remaining Leadership is cancelled.

I'm going to go with Case 2 for now. I think it is more thematic. The battle effect of the Shadow card is disrupt command and control of the FP army through spreading fear in the ranks. For Mighty Attack's effect, I'm picturing the Companion abandoning command duties to jump right into the thick of battle, so what he's doing is unaffected by the chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case 1.

This kind of reminds me of Gandalf cancelling the Nazgul leadership. In that situation they were not allowed to use cards that required Nazgul leadership to be forfeited because they didn't have any left to forfeit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmtc wrote:
This kind of reminds me of Gandalf cancelling the Nazgul leadership. In that situation they were not allowed to use cards that required Nazgul leadership to be forfeited because they didn't have any left to forfeit.

This is a faulty analogy. Gandalf's ability to negate Nazgul Leadership takes effect before the battle begins and lasts for the entire battle. It would therefore be in place before any combat card effect and would automatically trump it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A recent discussion on the 2nd edition rules forum brought this thread to light again, so I thought I'd update it.

The wording of Mighty Attack was changed in the Collector's Edition, and the new wording clearly indicates that its automatic hit is tied to the Leader Re-roll. Since the Collector's Edition rules and clarifications apply to the 1st edition, any Shadow Combat card that cancels the Leader Re-roll would also cancel the effects of Mighty Attack in the 1st edition as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.