Popular Tags: [View All]
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game today. To begin my disappointment the rulebook was totally the worst garbage i had read since i play boardgames (which is far a lot of time). But since I had watched several gameplay videos before getting my hands on it I manage to play 2 games.

On my second one I had to give up halfway from the amount of questions unanswered. Solution: Go to Bgg and read the posts.

Then the confusion multiplies tenfolds, people provide examples that are not in my rulebook, the gameplay videos on the site talk about different rules.

I decided to go to the official page and download the rules pdf.
THE RULES PDF HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRINTED RULEBOOK IN MY BOX!!!

Seriously, the pdf is the rules i would expected to get, but instead i seem to have gotten a beta or playtest rulebook I don't know.

My rulebook is black and white, only has 3 footprints and evolve, have no emergence rules, I don't even have FAQs!!

So, is the rulebook in all your games just usable as fancy toilet paper or did anyone get the actual rulebook?

(I'm sorry if i sound gross but I seriosly never been more annoyed by a game, specially not one i had so many hopes on)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that, the rulebook is 181 megs!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Kickstarter rulebook was printed, a big distribution company agreed to publish the game at retail - a BIG opportunity. However for one reason or another they felt the rules needed to be changed (and/or streamlined) a bit to appeal more to the retail market, so that happened and the distributor paid for new rulebooks to go out WITH RETAIL COPIES. Not the Kickstarter versions (which were already done).

The creator of the game didn't have enough money to be able to reprint all the Kickstarter rulebooks, so that's what Kickstarter (and pre-order, and since some extra Kickstarter boxes ended up in stores, some retail) people ended up with: an out-of-date rule set. The creator provided a link to the new (retail, current) rulebook which is hosted on his website.

It sucks, yes. Quite a lot actually. But it is what it is. I hope someday we can somehow be supplied with a "proper" rulebook (maybe if there's a v1.1 of the rules or something, as it has a few rough edges in it) but until then a PDF (which, granted, is very high quality and prints out nicely - hence the 181MB size) is all that's available.

There has been talk of a smaller PDF on the way but I've not seen that announced yet.

If anyone else wants to correct and/or expand on what I've said, I'll not take it personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has gone through so many rules changes....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thanks for the insight. Just finished reading the new rulebook. There are so many game changes... i'm gonna have to get used to it. Still, it's 100 times clearer than the older one.

Was this info of the rulebook change informed to buyers somehow? I bought my game on the pre-launch, not on the KS, and i certainly had no idea of all of this, and i can potentially see a lot more people annoyed about it.

Is there any plan to provide the new rulebook to the KS/preorder players?

Also another question, my the game states is 1-8 players but i only have 6 egg cards with no cost. Am I missing cards or is it another version misprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Kickstarter rules totally borked then? Or do the rules in the box change considerably from what's available online?

I was able to figure out Myth out of the box, without resorting to any online stuff, for whatever that's worth.

Tell me there's hope I can do the same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as you open the box, throw the ruleset away. Do not even bother to try and read it. It's confusing as hell and many rules are different from the final version. Reading it will only lead to confusion when you read the true rules online. As it is, the game out of the box is unplayable and the only one to blame is the rulebook because once you read the online one the game is fantastic, super challenging and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. V.
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not a KS backer but it still disturbs me how the ideas of the people involved in the game's shaping through KS discussions were so easily cast aside by a retail company's demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps at all (and why wouldn't it?) there's a complete video tutorial series explaining card organisation, initial setup and how to play on Youtube HERE. I've found it to be a handy reinforcement after reading the NEW, IMPROVED, CURRENT rules that can be downloaded HERE.

Once you've done that you'll have a pretty good grasp of things, but if you still have some specific queries they may have already been answered on the forums. Thankfully,

Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

has been kind enough to gather these answers together into a Frequently Asked Questions list, which you can find HERE, or a copy of it on the Die-Hard Games forums HERE.

All that put together should at least get you up and running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper Hero wrote:
I'm not a KS backer but it still disturbs me how the ideas of the people involved in the game's shaping through KS discussions were so easily cast aside by a retail company's demand.

I'm not a KS backer either, but the good news is that nothing fundamental was 'cast aside' as much as streamlined to make things a little more accessible for what the designer even refers to as a 'difficult game'. The Emergence rules specifically are a very welcome addition and a nice introduction to things, as is the guide to the difficulty level of playing the different kinds of Apexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
illiterate bookworm wrote:
Are the Kickstarter rules totally borked then? Or do the rules in the box change considerably from what's available online?

I was able to figure out Myth out of the box, without resorting to any online stuff, for whatever that's worth.

Tell me there's hope I can do the same here.

It's not so much that they're borked as much as they've been revised with what appear to be generally regarded as improvements. It's a bit like if you were reading them as said "Wow, these rules could REALLY use a rewrite!"; well, that's more or less what they did. They're not significantly different, but key elements of them are and despite the kick to the groin having a brand new game with somewhat-worthless rules in it undoubtedly is (believe me), everyone is really better off using the new rules (once again, available HERE) if only so we're all on the same page when we have questions about things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really alergic to bad written rulebooks, and there's more than one game I sold frustrated because the rules were incomprehesible.

But in this case I can't follow the OP's opinion.
I opened the box (no video watched beforehand), read the rules, set-up the game and it took me about 5 turns to get eveything straight, and then everthing went smooth.

Yes, there were some open questions about specific cards, but the basic rules were clear (for me).
Untfortunately I had to re-read the rules again when I found out about the changes.

The only minor thing that bugs me is that the new version is missing the information about recycling the Boss after fleeing. This should / could have been fixed, because it's game changing if you don't play by that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have a huge problem with the rulebook either, although I think I would have preferred to read it backward, so I could understand the general gameplay and flow, with terminology to follow afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.