Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the past four or five years, I've worked on a deck-building word game. Except for a bit of a hiccup when Paperback (a deck-building word game) was kickstarted in 2013, development has proceeded well, evolving from a gigantic, unplayable monstrosity to a sleek a fun little game. Eagle-Gryphon have picked it up and will be kickstarting it in the near future.

I've starting work on a blog covering my experiences developing and pitching Dexikon. Since Eagle-Gryphon let me lead the graphic design as well (with the help of a real artist - I'm rubbish), I'll also be covering how that process went.

Dexikon Designer Diary #1 - Concept and initial forays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Early Flamme Rouge prototype
mbmbmbmbmb
Really well narrated! I will look forward to next instalment. Will the Kickstarter have EU friendly shipping?

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that the kickstarter will have EU-friendly shipping - but I'm not sure what country they're using as a hub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second installment is up, in which I discuss how the appearance of Paperback on Kickstarter put Dexikon on hold for a bit, but ultimately proved to be sufficiently different that I was able to push ahead with development and finding a publisher.

Dexikon Designer Diary #2 - Scooped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, excellent news. I playtested a couple of the earlier versions and really enjoyed it. Congrats on getting it picked up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part three, in which I exploit workplace contacts to bring an awesome artist onboard:

Dexikon Designer Diary #3 - Working with an artist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
Very cool!
I really like the evolution of the artwork in the game and how you show side by side comparisons. I'm looking forward to the next diary entry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part four is up, when playtesting with children helps me realise how much unnecessary complexity I had designed into the early prototypes:

Dexikon Designer Diary #4 - Exploiting Child Labour and Balancing across Language Levels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part five goes a little off-piste, discussing the convoluted thought process I went through building a 'set' of board games for my Kickstarter video, and touching on what those games say about me and Dexikon. I have absolutely no idea whether this is the sort of thing that people are interested in!

Dexikon Designer Diary #5 - Filling a Bookshelf with Games that Describe Me - and Dexikon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing these!!
I love being able to see a designer's process and development, and knowing the story makes me even happier that I backed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.