Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen that IKEA's previous Expedit series was pretty popular for storing games and was wondering if anyone has used the newer Kallax line? Thoughts?

They seem about as easy as it gets to put together but wanted to get an owner's take on it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I used a bit of Kallax when I redid the gameroom...

..I guess you could say I sorta like it!

It went together very easily and looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sacco
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sauron was not of mortal flesh, he could never again appear fair to the eyes of Men, yet his spirit arose & returned to Mordor. There he dwelt, dark & silent, until he wrought a new guise, an image of malice & hatred made visible; the Eye of Sauron.
badge
One moment only it stared out as from some great window immeasurably high there stabbed a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye. The Eye was not turned on them, it gazed north but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love everything about this room.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, Expedit (left) and Kallax (right) next to each other. The outer dimensions of Kallax have become a little smaller that's why it isn't as high as the Expedit shelf on the left. The dimensions of the compartments haven't been changed. These are the perfect game shelves I guess. Easy and fast to set up and still pretty sturdy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fedel
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought a 2x2 shelf for our living room and a 4x4 for our office. Can't recommend these enough. We definitely buying more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Grasser
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to have Expedit in Germany but had to switch to Kallax when I moved over here.

Except for the smaller outside dimensions and the fact that thete is no 5x5 (yet?) they are the same.

Can recommend them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
i got one of the Nornas shelves the other day and think it looks really nice, plus the wood matches our Ikea gaming table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome stuff everyone!

I pulled the trigger and they were a breeze to set up! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Grasser
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good decision. Can't go wrong with them.

I wish they would add the 5x5 shelf to Kallax as well like they has in the Expedit series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Wellington
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Kallax shelves stable?

I always have some apprehension towards Ikea shelves because I don't want my collection to end up like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have stabilizing brackets included so you can mount them to wall if you'd like.

ArseFez wrote:

I always have some apprehension towards Ikea shelves because I don't want my collection to end up like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Medina
Spain
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArseFez wrote:

They are very sturdy, that one was put on it's side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just switched from a large Expidit to a Kallax and I can verify that they are much sturdier. Both came with wall brackets to help stability issues. I haven't used the brackets but yet I've never had issues with either unit. Besides, as a former dj, vinyl records are extremely heavy in numbers and board games would never EVER get to that point because they just don't weigh that much comparatively.

Rilmariel wrote:

Also it's worth noting that the unit in the picture is an Expidit. They were assembled differently than the Kallax. I just literally swapped the units a week ago and had to assemble/disassemble both. Kind of threw me because after taking apart the Expidit I was confused why things weren't coming together correctly with the new one. Turns out they assemble reverse, with the long boards being horizontal where Expidit was vertical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Wellington
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rilmariel wrote:
ArseFez wrote:

Ok, that inspires some confidence.

stagger lee wrote:
Just switched from a large Expidit to a Kallax and I can verify that they are much sturdier. Both came with wall brackets to help stability issues. I haven't used the brackets but yet I've never had issues with either unit. Besides, as a former dj, vinyl records are extremely heavy in numbers and board games would never EVER get to that point because they just don't weigh that much comparatively.

I know that records are much heavier it was just the first picture I found on a google image search

stagger lee wrote:

Also it's worth noting that the unit in the picture is an Expidit. They were assembled differently than the Kallax. I just literally swapped the units a week ago and had to assemble/disassemble both. Kind of threw me because after taking apart the Expidit I was confused why things weren't coming together correctly with the new one. Turns out they assemble reverse, with the long boards being horizontal where Expidit was vertical.

The new construction method also inspires some confidence. I know that the reason why Ikea switched to the Kallax series was to cut down on manufacturing costs. Since the shelves are made up of particle board, a red light went off for me because of moany bad experiences with cheap particle board book shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ArseFez wrote:
I know that records are much heavier it was just the first picture I found on a google image search

It was also built wrong. (The shelves+rungs were 90 degrees rotated to the frame.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also looks like it may have exceeded the recommended weight.

Rilmariel wrote:
ArseFez wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Teo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What synchronicity. I was just at Ikea today looking at either the Kallax or Hemnes to shelve my games. Decided think more about it and I came back to see this thread. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Medina
Spain
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple expedits filled to the brim with books, and then some more, and after a few years I fear more for the floor to collapse than the shelves
conky wrote:
It also looks like it may have exceeded the recommended weight.

Rilmariel wrote:
ArseFez wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I own some Kallax and many Expedit-Shelves.

If I could start anew, I probably wouldn't buy Expedit (or Kallax) again. Yes, they look amazing. But they also waste a lot of space because they have so many compartments of a fixed size. There is nearly no room for modifications. For example, you will be able to put four of your typical "square-box"-games in one compartment, but you will waste some space to the sides and some space to the top. Of course, you can put smaller games in those gaps, but this will make the overall picture look rather busy. The problem are the many inner walls of the system. Each wall becomes an obstacle that you have to work around.

In addition to that, these shelves are about 7 centimeters deeper than they need to be, so this is another waste of space, unless you intend to put games behind other games.

The last shelves I bought have mostly been IKEA-Billy, but those are not deep enough for some games. Ikea had deeper Billy-shelves some time ago (or they planned to have deeper Billy-shelves, not sure about that), but sadly, those are no longer made. They would have been perfect for Boardgames in my opinion.

So these were my two cents towards Expedit / Kallax. To sum it up: I loved these shelves when I bought them, but as my collection grew bigger, I had to realize that they are not without flaws
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't necessarily limited to the assumed layout. I customized mine a bit by just changing up the assembly. It doesn't feel any less stable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Spence
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snowren24 wrote:
You aren't necessarily limited to the assumed layout. I customized mine a bit by just changing up the assembly. It doesn't feel any less stable to me.

Way off topic what is the giant Smallworld box?

Sorry about that. Those shelves seem great. I will be looking into those when I move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. (But they are not modified, just laying on their sides.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brycespence wrote:
snowren24 wrote:

Way off topic what is the giant Smallworld box?

Sorry about that. Those shelves seem great. I will be looking into those when I move.

Its the Small World Designer Edition

It along with the TTR anniversary edition made me want to have a larger opening shelf. To say its giant is an understatement. Its 40 pounds!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.