Subject: I want to expand this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently got this game as a birthday gift and I've only just started my second campaign. I'd really want to play it more but every time I do I can't stop thinking how one could expand this game with a lot of variants.
It really is somewhat of a problem as I think that I should play and learn more about the base game. But still, there they are, my ideas. And now I thought that I should share some of them just to hear what you guys think of them.

- The first and pretty obvious way to expand would be to add more choppers, ordnance and Enemy Units.
- This led me to think that maybe it would be cool to add troop transports and SAR choppers.
- Going further on this topic there could be allied infantry units to ferry in/out of missions. These guys could maybe be some sort of SpecOps that could hide and use LLDRs (Lightweight Laser Designator Rangefinders) to add an attack bonus for linked aircrafts. These SpecOps might also work on the Sector Map as saboteurs/scouts. Though, you'd better extract them before the end or you'd loose VPs.
- While there could be friendlies on the ground there could also be neutrals/civilians that would make attacks in their hexes more difficult because of the possibility of collateral damage (VP loss perhaps).
– Where there are civilians there might be settlements/urban areas where enemy units would be in cover (no stand-off attacks) but without the ridge evasion factor.
- Going back to the new Enemy Units, would it make the game too hard if there was some sort of Radar Units (which, as long as they remain intact, allows enemy SAMs and/or AAAs to disregard the LOS rules)?
- I've also thought of making a new type campaign format. The player would start with a Campaign Card that lists the normal stuff such as Location, Year and starting SOs. On the backside of the card I'd put some sort of flowchart that lists what missions needs to be flown. After a few completed/failed missions the player tallies up his score to see how the campaign progresses. The missions would be generic type of mission cards with Map Layout, Number/Type/Position of Enemy Units, List of Objectives, Special Conditions and a Final Score Rating. This way it would be easier for players to compare Campaign Scores or give help on certain missions.
- The final thing (so far) I've thought of is a Time of Day and Weather modifier.

What do you all make of this? Would it make the game too cluttered with modifiers and details? I'd be happy for some feedback.

Best regards
Håkan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
The a next game in this series will be Huey Leader. It is supposed to have a lot on these ideas include...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I just saw it here on BGG.
I for one aren't that big of a fan of that particular period. I'd rather they expanded the base game with modules instead of making a whole new game.
It seems the game system is solid enough to withstand some extra fluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I've no interest in Huey Leader but I'd jump straight on an expansion for TAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing I just came up with is to battle Insurgents. This would then be combined with Civilians on the map. Most civilians are just there to inhibit the Pilots attacks. The Insurgents on the other hand will on one side of the counter be ordinary Civilians but on the other side they will pose a serious threat to aircrafts as they are equipped with Stingers and such.
Along with these counters there is a separate "Cover Roll Table". In the beginning of each loiter turn roll a dice and consult the table. Some results will make you flip one or more "Civilian" counters back and forth to their Insurgents side. This way they will become a very unpredictable threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Monovektor wrote:
One other thing I just came up with is to battle Insurgents. This would then be combined with Civilians on the map. Most civilians are just there to inhibit the Pilots attacks. The Insurgents on the other hand will on one side of the counter be ordinary Civilians but on the other side they will pose a serious threat to aircrafts as they are equipped with Stingers and such.
Along with these counters there is a separate "Cover Roll Table". In the beginning of each loiter turn roll a dice and consult the table. Some results will make you flip one or more "Civilian" counters back and forth to their Insurgents side. This way they will become a very unpredictable threat.

I've read this and your thread on your campaign cards, I'd say you've got quite a captive audience when it's all done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea of Insurgents disguised as civilians! The one thing TAL seems to need is a few more Situation cards, and maybe an ISIL campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.