New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
From what has been released about BattleLore thus far my sense is...

dcjackso wrote:

1) too luck-based

This isn't changed...or perhaps as even been increased via the Lore cards.

Quote:

2) lack of historical accuracy

Won't be an issue, unless you know something about goblin archers that we don't.

Quote:

3) set-up time much longer than the games themselves

This will be drastically improved as the sculpts are easier to distinguish than the blocks.

Quote:

4) successful 'gamey' tactic of retreating from tough units and chasing weaker units--and thus flags--all over the map

Nothing changed here.

Probably a pass based on your prior experiences with the system.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, from everything I've read about Battlelore, which is everything so far, I'm gonna say that this game is not for you.

Point 1 - Not sure about this one. I used to think MM44 had a LOT of luck. But I watched a game yesterday on vassal with two very experienced players. I would have had no chance against these guys, regardless of how the dice went. They knew the game so much better, and their strategy was really damn good. With the morale level in Battlelore, support is gonna be a main factor in this game, which I've heard Ancients has, and I feel strategy and army formation are going to play a huge role.

True, there will be lore cards to throw into the factor, but both sides will have this. This game will be way more customizable to how you want your army to be, by the way you build your war council.

I do think that luck is a factor for one game. Yes the dice can decide an outcome. But...I also don't think any of the C&C games are meant to be played using just 1 game to determine a winner. I would say multiple scenarios with each person getting a chance to play both sides. I feel that these games are better suited to campaign play. Otherwise it is just a way to pass some time in a very fun way.

Point 2 - If you are playing C&C games for the historical accuracy, you are not going to enjoy them to their fullest. MM44 gives you a military background on what the scenario is based on, and I am guessing they are pretty damn close if not 100% correct on what they have printed. But these are games NOT simulations. This has been debated heavly on BGG. Take it for what it is. Battlelore will not have much by way of history...like the above poster said, unless you know something about goblins that we don't, then this point is mute.

Point 3 - I only have experience with MM44, but it only takes about 5 minutes to set up, and about 45 minutes to play. So I am not sure what Ancients deal is to make you think that.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying in your fourth point. You will be able to make frightened units bold, thus giving them higher morale and less likely to retreat through support. So if you support your units well, retreating will only be done if you want it to happen. Retreats are a staple of war.

Sorry if I babbled on here. In conclusion though, I'm gonna say that if you didn't like Ancients, you are NOT going to like Battlelore. They have a lot in common, only this time around there will not be much history to speak of other than a few scenarios...which won't take full use of all of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Memoir '44 is one of my 10's, and I've played Battlelore once, and I'm sure it will be a 10 as well. But given your criticisms of C&C Ancients, I don't think this game is for you. The addition of creatures and the lore council adds a lot of theme and strategy to the game, but there is still plenty of luck involved. This is certainly not Bonaparte at Marengo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daren, do you like the Middle Ages part of the theme of Battlelore? If so, have you looked at Men of Iron? It's advertised as a simpler wargame, though not down to the level of the C&C games. Supposedly, by those who know the rules, the battles can be finished in ~2-3 hours.

Caveat: I own but haven't yet played MoI, so I can't speak for the gameplay. I just wanted to call your attention to it if you haven't seen it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten them to the table in a while, but Ben Hull's Musket and Pike games rock. MoI, from reading through the rules, probably comes in at somewhat less complex. The M&P series, though, flows so well (once one gets the various reaction triggers down, anyway), and I love the command and control rules. Great choice!

I have to get my friend who has tBB to break that out so we can play more than the little intro scenario...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.