4 Posts

Victory in Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: France liberated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Hatcher
msg tools
mb
I assume, based on the rulers discussing France and conquest, that after France is liberated it does not return to the game as a major power. It's resources go to the Brits who control the Free French units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
If sticking to history the French should return as a power able to receive PP from the US - the French army grew rapidly as veterans returned to arms plus many of the Vichy in North Africa had switched sides. In game terms I don't know that it will matter given how late in the game the French resources are likely to be captured.

I would have liked to have seen the 1 factory in Marseilles remain in active Vichy control, but that is not in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It seems that the economy of Vichy France was crippled by the "occupation costs" levied by the Germans amounting to about 25% of its GDP. It would seem that Vichy France was concerned primarily with debt service and related issues, and could not afford to (nor would they be permitted to) expand their small army. See

http://ww2-weapons.com/Armies/France/Vichy.htm

This treatment was a general policy of the Nazis. It's estimated by Milward and others that Germany was able to extract an additional 40% revenue from occupied countries beyond its internal taxation, and 42 percent of that came from France as "reparations." I don't believe these figures include Germany's importing of forced labor for its factories. About 2 million French soldiers were relocated to German factories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make sense if, once Paris is liberated, Britain or USA could build a Factory in a French Major City, thereby making it possible to build French units in France, and reestablishing France as a Major Power. The French did in fact begin building a new French Army in France immediately after the liberation and before the war was over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.