United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Holdfast Future

Great suggestions for all. I have Bulge 90% done but just ain't hungry to finish it yet. What I have come up with that I am rapidly testing is HOLDFAST SOUTH PACIFIC 1942 that would be naval and land campaign. Using the Holdfast System I've got carrier and naval operations down to 4.5 pages of rules. Think a deeper and more involved Victory in the Pacific or Smithsonian Guadalcanal a simpler level Flat Top that adds a land invasion element that is simple. Tasty so far but I don't know about interest in the topic.

The game would use task force blocks on board, most are dummies with several real. Within the task force are blocks would represent ships and land forces with round cubes for fighter squadrons and square cubes for bomber squadrons. Remember Holdfast is big picture, if your looking for Torpedo vs divs bomber squadrons then this aint it.

So picture each player with a task force sheet that held up to 8 task force. You could have 2 that actually held ships while the other 6 were dummies. Searches would be conducted using AP with air squadrons. Finding the enemy would be critical (duh), a real cat abd mouse that hasn't been necessary in the Russia and Korea so it would take away from the solitaire.

Is there interest?

Grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
My wallet weeps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in both the Pacific and Bulge games. Going forward would you consider - and would other gamers purchase - a Holdfast: Arab-Israeli wars? It seems that is under covered as a subject and had both fast moving aspects as well as close combat situations.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me make a blanket statement...I believe that there would not be a Holdfast game that I would fail to purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VERY interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... that would indeed be very interesting and I would in fact buy a "HoldFast" game in the Pacific.

What I would REALLY like to see is this:

A HoldFast game in the Trenches of the Western Front in WW1. You know the enemy is there but you don't know his strength. Where do I prep the line and where do I assault? What do I keep behind for a counterattack?

I think HoldFast would support the trenches of WW1 perfectly, especially at the grand tactical level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pacific looks like a good step forward. It is always good to see a game series branching out.

As for the Bulge, I am sure that will sell even if that battle has been done to death. I will pass on it. There are so many Bulge games and I own 2 of them. A third would be overkill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam LaSala
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just take my money already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Great suggestions for all. I have Bulge 90% done but just ain't hungry to finish it yet. What I have come up with that I am rapidly testing is HOLDFAST SOUTH PACIFIC 1942 that would be naval and land campaign. Using the Holdfast System I've got carrier and naval operations down to 4.5 pages of rules. Think a deeper and more involved Victory in the Pacific or Smithsonian Guadalcanal a simpler level Flat Top that adds a land invasion element that is simple. Tasty so far but I don't know about interest in the topic.

The game would use task force blocks on board, most are dummies with several real. Within the task force are blocks would represent ships and land forces with round cubes for fighter squadrons and square cubes for bomber squadrons. Remember Holdfast is big picture, if your looking for Torpedo vs divs bomber squadrons then this aint it.

So picture each player with a task force sheet that held up to 8 task force. You could have 2 that actually held ships while the other 6 were dummies. Searches would be conducted using AP with air squadrons. Finding the enemy would be critical (duh), a real cat abd mouse that hasn't been necessary in the Russia and Korea so it would take away from the solitaire.

Is there interest?

Grant

You bet there is!!!

That is a great idea for a HoldFast game if you can get the naval system to work.

AS far as the Bulge goes I will likely pass.

I know Americans really dig the Bulge and all, but HoldFast:Russia is army level and monthly turns. The battle of the Bulge is half a turn and a quarter (if not far less) of a hex at that scale.
Hold:Fast Russia is an awesome game and that is partly because of its scale. Dont stray away from the strategic or at least grand-operational (if thats even a word.. ) scale to design operational level games with daily turns.

Other good subjects would be:

Case Blue + the Soviet counteroffensives in 1942-43
(this could have been covered in HoldFast if not that map ended just south of Rostov...

HoldFast: GErmany 1944-45
(sort of like the old Battle for Germany covering the fall of Germany on all fronts)

HoldFast: Caucasus in World War 1
(probably too obscure though..)

HoldFast France 1944 (from Operation Cobra to the Rurh pocket)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
muaddib1 wrote:
a Holdfast: Arab-Israeli wars? It seems that is under covered as a subject and had both fast moving aspects as well as close combat situations.

Paul

God yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A HoldFast game covering the whole, or parts of, the Japanese invasion of China in 1937-45 would be great as well, and would match well in terms of scale with HoldFast: Russia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Heron
Poland
Krakow
małopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a hypothetical HoldFast WW3? Set in Europe in the 80s, Warsaw Pact against NATO.

There could be the option to use tactical nukes, each one would completely wipe out a unit in the target hex and reduce by 2 SPs units in surrounding hexes.

But each use of a tactical nuke would move a marker a random distance along a 'nuclear tension' track. Maybe the distance moved would likely be shorter (1D6 instead of 2D6 maybe) if responding to an opponent's nuke(s), longer if you're escalating the situation, with rapid escalations increasing the dice rolled. So the player who takes pre-emptive action or who escalates would be taking a bigger risk.

Reaching the end of the track would trigger full-scale nuclear war, with the player who triggered it losing the game, Twilight Struggle-style.

Each player would also have air units of course, and there would be some battle for air supremacy (maybe handled abstractly and 'off-map', without taking account of geography).

Players could have a few interceptor units, a few bombers, and a number of fighter-bombers. They'd have to decide whether to assign each of the latter to air supremacy or to ground attack. There could be secret assignment every turn, with both players revealing simultaneously.

Just throwing around a few ideas.

Edited to expand upon the tactical nuke idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cairo
United States
Brookville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Playing Wargames Since 1976 (image from Rand Games Associates)
mbmbmbmbmb
paulh76 wrote:
How about a hypothetical HoldFast WW3? Set in Europe in the 80s, Warsaw Pact against NATO.

I really like that idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Black
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My vote in order of personal priority;
1) 42 South Pacific
2) Japan invaded China WWII
2) Fall of Berlin WWII
3) WWIII
4) WWI
5) Arab Israeli war
6)bulge

I would buy a copy of any of them if they were produced, but would probably buy two copies of my first couple choices.

Might also be cool to simulate India vs Pakistan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Athese suggestions sound truly amazing. I absolutely love the two current HoldFast games and can't wait for new releases.

It may be blasphemy to say this, but HoldFast: Russia plays better than EastFront II and usually follows the same patterns of strategy and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Feldman
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any word on the future of BULGE and SOUTH PACIFIC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.