California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I were planning to attend GenConSoCal and were looking forward to picking up the Earth Elemental since it has been advertised as a con giveaway figure but just read on the DoW site that they won't be attending.

This is most depressing since it was one of the reasons I was planning to attend. I'm shocked actually since its so close to the release of the game and many companies use big cons as launch times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
looking forward to picking up the Earth Elemental since it has been advertised as a con giveaway figure but just read on the DoW site that they won't be attending.

Well dang, that was also one of my major reasons this year for attending GenCon SoCal. soblue As the proud bearer of a Press Pass I was planning on writing a nice review of DoW's new releases. I guess I'll just have to write about someting else instead. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
ScottE wrote:
looking forward to picking up the Earth Elemental since it has been advertised as a con giveaway figure

When I was at a BattleLore demo (Endgame, Oakland, CA), the DoW rep (Mark Kaufman?) indicated that the Earth Elemental would not be distributed until after the release of BattleLore.

So I suspect that even if DoW were at GenConSoCal - the Earth Elemental would not have been there.

And a quick check of DoW's website confirms:
Quote:
The Earth Elemental will be available at many demo events and numerous venues nationwide, once BattleLore starts shipping in Late November 2006.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GenConIndy has a better turn out of board games. GenConSoCal I think Fantasy Flight Games will be there and that's about it. Boardgamers are pretty much shunned there. Oh yeah there be DreamBlade there but that's collectible. I would easily go if they had some board games but sadly they don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
GenConIndy has a better turn out of board games. GenConSoCal I think Fantasy Flight Games will be there and that's about it. Boardgamers are pretty much shunned there. Oh yeah there be DreamBlade there but that's collectible. I would easily go if they had some board games but sadly they don't.

I've gone to the past two and though its nothing compared to the big Gencon it does have a decent dealer room. At least compared to the local game cons which have tiny one room ones that are basically just the local stores. Fantasy Flight has been there each time but I discovered some other publishers like the guys that did Hunting Party just from wandering around.

I did go to Gencon 2002 since my company at the time sent me and it was wonderful and amazing. I suppose considering this con is probably less then a quarter the size they don't feel its worth the cost so I guess I can understand. But if Gencon SoCal wants this to grow they need to get more publishers to come which might require them to lower costs or make deals to entice them to show up. Otherwise fans like me will stop showing up since the cost to attend isn't cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.