Popular Tags: [View All]
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spent a bit of time looking at BGG and MCG forums (especially the rahdo threads) and I still have some issues with priority rules. There seems to be 2 ways to interpret the rule. I am struggling to find a clear answer to which one to go with.

Taking grubbers as an example who have priority rules as Threat > Proximity > Rage

If a grubber cannot attack the highest threat hero on the board because they are unavailable does he

a) attack the hero with the highest threat that IS available, even if it not the closest available hero

or

b) move down his priority list to the next priority which is 'proximity'. Ie he will attack the closest available hero, perhaps ignoring another hero with the higher threat who, although reachable for an attack, is a bit further away .

My feeling is that 'a' is the answer. Basically out of all available heroes the grubber will go to and attack the one with the highest threat.

I have seen this answered both ways in one way, shape or form. Even by the Mercs guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played that you move to the next listed priority if you could not reach the first,....

I know that this had been brought up and will be adjusted in the 2.0 rules prior to printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ɓukasz Majewski
Poland
flag msg tools
I know that some people find thematic ways to solve that. For instance shamblers are basicly dumb undead skeletons so they will try to reach the target even if it's out of reach. I think that makes the game too easy though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
I have always played that you move to the next listed priority if you could not reach the first,....

I know that this had been brought up and will be adjusted in the 2.0 rules prior to printing.

But I learnt from 2.0 rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually looking again I think my clarity has come form 1st Ed rules.

Top page 36

"When the occasions arise where the priority doesn't determine target..."

OK so in the case of grubbers they will look for highest threat. They are picking a single hero based on highest threat. So what if the highest threat hero is not available as they are either surrounded, cannot be reached legally or are too far away?

On the same page in blue box

"Available - ..... If an enemy can't get to a potential target then the target is not available and the enemy will move and attack the next available target that matches it's priority."

So they will move to and attack the hero with the next highest threat. If more than one available hero is tied for threat then it goes down to proximity and then rage etc.

???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Rodriguez
msg tools
Yeah, I've always interpreted the priority rules as priority AND tie breakers.

So say you have threat 5 out of range and two threat 4s at varying range. The grubber can't get to the 5 so it moves down the list to the 4s. Since the 4s are in a tie, then the priority would be given based on proximity and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackson
United States
Versailles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be wrong, but I've always played that I don't move down the priority list unless the first priority doesn't apply to anything within the monsters move/attack range, or I need a tie breaker.

So in the case of the grubbers:

Threat
Proximity
Rage
Least Vitality
Player Choice

First and foremost, melee critters will not disengage from a hero to chase another if they are already adjacent to a hero, but will shift to make room for others if they are intelligent, per the rulebook:

" In addition, any melee minion already adjacent to a target will not move away. However, if the enemy is intelligent, it can still move to another space adjacent to the target to make room for other enemies"

So, if you are wanting to get the grubbers off of the archer and onto the soldier, and they are adjacent, you need to move the archer away from them between DC's. You can't get them off just by having more threat on the soldier.

If they do need to move to attack, however, this is how I run it.

Hero A - 5 threat
Hero B - 4 threat
Hero C - 0 threat

If all 3 are in range, grubber/scout will target Hero A.
If hero A is out of range or inaccessible, B is 2 squares away, and C is 1 square away, they will attack Hero B, since I always look for the top priority of available targets -Threat- before moving down the list.
If the grubber cant reach Hero A & B, and Hero C is acessible, it will shift to proximity priority and target Hero C.

Hero A - 4 Threat
Hero B - 4 Threat

If both heroes are within range and accessible to be attacked, it will target the closer of the two. If both are the same distance, it will target the soldier (rage) instead of the other hero. If neither are a soldier, it will target whichever has the lowest vitality. If both have 4 vitality, the players get to choose which hero the monster moves to attack.

I see where some are saying that if the highest threat target is out of range, they immediately move down to Proximity for determining the target, ignoring threat at that point. I'm still looking for the most eligible candidate for that top priority line out of who is left.

If the former is the true ruling, I've been playing it wrong, and you are correct in stating that the rules don't really spell that out clearly.

I think I went this way from a thematic standpoint - if grubbers are geared to target the biggest threat, my reasoning is that if the biggest threat can't be reached, they are going to go for the next highest threat instead of giving up and attacking whomever is nearby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarelessOpossum wrote:
It may be wrong, but I've always played that I don't move down the priority list unless the first priority doesn't apply to anything within the monsters move/attack range, or I need a tie breaker.

So in the case of the grubbers:

Threat
Proximity
Rage
Least Vitality
Player Choice

First and foremost, melee critters will not disengage from a hero to chase another if they are already adjacent to a hero, but will shift to make room for others if they are intelligent, per the rulebook:

" In addition, any melee minion already adjacent to a target will not move away. However, if the enemy is intelligent, it can still move to another space adjacent to the target to make room for other enemies"

So, if you are wanting to get the grubbers off of the archer and onto the soldier, and they are adjacent, you need to move the archer away from them between DC's. You can't get them off just by having more threat on the soldier.

If they do need to move to attack, however, this is how I run it.

Hero A - 5 threat
Hero B - 4 threat
Hero C - 0 threat

If all 3 are in range, grubber/scout will target Hero A.
If hero A is out of range or inaccessible, B is 2 squares away, and C is 1 square away, they will attack Hero B, since I always look for the top priority of available targets -Threat- before moving down the list.
If the grubber cant reach Hero A & B, and Hero C is acessible, it will shift to proximity priority and target Hero C.

Hero A - 4 Threat
Hero B - 4 Threat

If both heroes are within range and accessible to be attacked, it will target the closer of the two. If both are the same distance, it will target the soldier (rage) instead of the other hero. If neither are a soldier, it will target whichever has the lowest vitality. If both have 4 vitality, the players get to choose which hero the monster moves to attack.

I see where some are saying that if the highest threat target is out of range, they immediately move down to Proximity for determining the target, ignoring threat at that point. I'm still looking for the most eligible candidate for that top priority line out of who is left.

If the former is the true ruling, I've been playing it wrong, and you are correct in stating that the rules don't really spell that out clearly.

I think I went this way from a thematic standpoint - if grubbers are geared to target the biggest threat, my reasoning is that if the biggest threat can't be reached, they are going to go for the next highest threat instead of giving up and attacking whomever is nearby.

I think its simpler than that - Move in Priority order, break
ties, using priority order, then least vitality and then player chooses.

All in Rulebook 2.0

They will all attempt to close to range in order of priority.

All enemies Move first as above and then attack as above.

They won't break off to move if engaged / have a target but I play they reassess attacks in priority order.

So if a soldier moves next to the archer with higher threat they will likely attack the soldier, depending on enemies priority list of course.

This seems in theme for enemies and heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziocyte wrote:
Yeah, I've always interpreted the priority rules as priority AND tie breakers.

So say you have threat 5 out of range and two threat 4s at varying range. The grubber can't get to the 5 so it moves down the list to the 4s. Since the 4s are in a tie, then the priority would be given based on proximity and so on.

This is how we've figured it.

You figure out the range of the monster, and then within its range go down the priority list.

You only go to the second or third if there's a tie, within range, for first or second.

So as another example, a soldier and Archer are in range, both have equal threat.
So then it so happen both are the same distance away.
So now it move this rage, and since the soldier has the rage... It goes after him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great thanks. I think we are all on the same page with this and I think that we are playing correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.