Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Rosario
Puerto Rico
Toa Baja
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello guys. I'm into the task to paint my Battlecry Anniversary edition figures and I really need help into something.

Due that I am a neophyte into matters of the Civil War; I'm here to ask for guidance on an idea I had. I wanted to paint 3 units from each side depicting some of the most famous or "different" (uniform wise).

I have selected for the Union to Paint the Berdan Sharpshooters, the 5th NY Zouaves and the 22nd USCT all with their respective banners and uniform colors. And maybe the Iron Brigade with their distinctive hats.

Now...my problem is with the Confederate....so far I can only recognize the Tiger Striped Zouaves ... can you guys help me in naming some of the volunteers or troops that used different uniforms? I just need two more but all you can list me I will be glad to research!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Here is a good website about the ACW (sadly only in french)

http://civil-war-uniforms.over-blog.com/tag/uniformes/

or you buy some CS digital templates here

http://www.imagesdesoldats.com/en/160-civil-war
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the cadets of the Virginia Military Institute VMI. Or early war uniforms with havelocks. Here's a link to get you started. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_Confederate_S...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are going to have a tough time painting alot of thoe Zouave or US Regular/Iron Brigade units, as they had very different headgear (Hardee hats, fezs, slouch hats) than the kepis included with BC150.

There are also the Maryland Guard Zouaves for the CSA. Realisticaly, though, the info for CSA volunteer units is pretty spotty, as most of them discarded or wore out their unique uniforms long before their USA counterparts.

My suggestion for CSA units would be to concentrated on different combinationbs of grey and butternut jackets and grey, butternet, and blue trousers. You could also, for example, paint some CSA in Union blue coats and grey/buttner trousers to represent A.P. Hills troops at Antietam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
You are going to have a tough time painting alot of thoe Zouave or US Regular/Iron Brigade units, as they had very different headgear (Hardee hats, fezs, slouch hats) than the kepis included with BC150.

There are also the Maryland Guard Zouaves for the CSA. Realisticaly, though, the info for CSA volunteer units is pretty spotty, as most of them discarded or wore out their unique uniforms long before their USA counterparts.

My suggestion for CSA units would be to concentrated on different combinationbs of grey and butternut jackets and grey, butternet, and blue trousers. You could also, for example, paint some CSA in Union blue coats and grey/buttner trousers to represent A.P. Hills troops at Antietam.
Nimits is correct...unless you want to purchase some new figures with different hats, coats, etc. You're stuck with just doing a variety of colors between the pants and coats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Rosario
Puerto Rico
Toa Baja
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You guys are awesome, I just bought some HaT and other miniatures to accommodate the looks. Thanks very much for the Input!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst I have every respect for your intentions to paint unique uniforms, I think the simplest is a pretty standard paint scheme, and unique banners. Like this

There are a number in the files section.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101663/replacement-in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Whilst I have every respect for your intentions to paint unique uniforms, I think the simplest is a pretty standard paint scheme, and unique banners. Like this

There are a number in the files section.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101663/replacement-in...
Ive used those flags and they made a really nice difference...even without painting my units...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paeuser
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend you to visit the website www.bigcountry.de. There you can find a lot of detailed informations about the American Civil War, especially about uniforms etc. It is a German website, but I think that you can find the needed informations, even if you don´t speak German because there a lot of images und pictures.

A little translation, that might help you "Uniformen des Süden" = Uniforms of the South"
"Uniformen des Nordes" = "Uniforms of the North"

In addition, I recommend you the issue of "Military History "America´s Great Battles 1775- 2002". The painting on page 34, 35 gives you a very good impression about the uniforms of the CSA (15 th Alabama during the Battle of Gettyburg Little Round Top).

By the way, I purchased Italleri-Miniatures (Infantry, Cavalary, Union Artillery) and two IMEX Artillery-Sets (CSA and Union) to replace the Battle-Cry-Minis. I have nearly painted all of the miniatures. I didn´t use the IMEX-Miniatures, because their quality was not very good, but the canons are o.k. Only 18 CSA Cavalary-Mini are left and are urgently in need to be painted. The Union Cavalary needs some final touchs. Maybe next weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for unique US units that more or less fit the default BC figures, you could go with:

-Irish Brigade (Blue coat, gray paints, at least through part of 1862)
-Berdan's Sharpshooters (official uniform was supposed to be green cap, coat, and trousers, but I believe at various times they wore the dark blue coats with green trousers, or green coats with sky blue trousers, so you could do either)
-5th NY/14th Brooklyn Zouaves (a bit of a fudge, but the officer were red kepi, blue coat, and red trousers, so you could paint all the troops with the officer uniform; at the scale of the game miniatures, you could probably get away with it.)
-US Marines (fought at Bull Run), Blue coats but with white trousers
-1861 uniform (dark blue trousers, roughly the same color as the coat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9th New York Volunteers, 1861: Trousers in Scottish Tartan.

1st Massachusetts Militia: grey uniform with blue cap.

7 th New York State Militia: all grey with black trouser stripe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I recommend against using the all grey for Union or all blue for Confederate 1861 uniforms, solely because they could become confusing to use on the game board.

Plus, outside of the battles of the summer of 1861, such uniforms were extremely uncommon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.