Smash Up: Pretty Pretty Smash Up» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Good combinations for the new factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've found a few good combinations for the new factions.

- Princesses go well with Wizards. The card draw from the wizards gets you faster to the powerful princesses. The extra action plays from wizards team well with the high action count in the princess faction. With the high action count, the Neophite has a higher chance to hit something nice.

- The Kitty Cats go well with the shapeshifters. With G.E.L.F. and Doppelgänger, there are extra ways to get to the excellent combination of Queen Fluffy and Whiskers. Even transmogrifying a mimic at the right time can get you the combo. Speaking of transmogrify (and .. Really? and Bacta the future): what better targets for these than the minions you just temporarily stole from your opponents.

- Mythical horses go well with robots. The extra minions you can play in certain turns is enormous. The horses also get you some more extra card draw that the robots really need. In my game, they were hampered a bit by Eliza, and lost a close fight against the Wizard Princesses because of it, but I could see the potential of this combination.

- I have not found an exceptionally good partner for the faeries. They are so versatile that they can go well with several partners and against many opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radical Rhino
msg tools
I found Fairies to go very well with Ghosts. When you only have a few cards in your hands, it's nice to have options. Puck lets you either play an extra action or draw a card, depending on whether you want to decrease or increase your hand size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Puspok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for Fairies, I Think it's such a well balanced support deck, that almost anything can go well with it, who by itself lack utility, card drawing mechanics, or extra action mechanics. Last time, I almost won with werewolf fairies, only beaten by kitties of cthulhu. Speaking of which my second all-time favorite the minions of cthulhu and kitty cats ate dangerous combination.
I always try to combine the less obvious combinations, which led me to Pirate princesses, full sail never been so strong before.
Other than robots, so far was unable to find any useful for mythical horses. But I haven't got that much chance to play Smash up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radical Rhino
msg tools
Full Sail is nasty when used with the Princess card that moves all your minions to one base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Jones, yo
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
ET anyone?
Has anyone seen Elder Things and Kitty Cats ride together? I mean, thematically, they're a fantastic fit, so obvious- but I'm curious how the cat mind control powers syncs up with ET's Shoggoths and Elder Thing. You can use their debuffs to really prolong a base as well, more time to load madness into your foes before the 15 mark is reached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kitty kat/tricksters is amazing. Similar to using tricksters with vamps, it is so nice to kill the gremlin, but especially good with kats because you are usually doing an extra minion or action then killing a gremlin.

Horse/dinos. Dinos have no extra card play but tons of huge minions. Now you can play lots of extra dinos.

Kats/Shapeshifters. kats have abilities to take control of enemy minions then kill it, but now you can take control of the minion and use shapeshifter cards that have you kill one of your minions. Tons of options to benefit from killing a minion you gained control of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found fairy ninjas to be weak in practice... ninjas need to combo with higher power minions.

Princess spies were awesome... princess shapeshifters were workable, although the Gelf was somewhat neutered by the combo.

Horse robots was very strong.

Cat pirates have not performed well for my wife, but partly because she's just come back to the game after a long time... it's not clear to me where their synergy lies.

People often forget about bases in these discussions... a combo can be made or broken by the base powers that appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calildur wrote:
Last time, I almost won with werewolf fairies, only beaten by kitties of cthulhu. Speaking of which my second all-time favorite the minions of cthulhu and kitty cats ate dangerous combination.

Agreed, but they definitely need to be referred to as "Kitty Kultists."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played zombie ponies in honor of Tina Belcher, and it actually was real effective. Zombies' swarming abilities went well with ponies' teamwork powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathon Stanford-Carey
United States
California
flag msg tools
I used Elder Kitties in a one on one match, I forgot my opponent's pairing (Princes something), but they did decent. I lost by one madness card. Cat control was great for making it easier to get the power to bring out Shoggoths and the Elder Thing; the real trouble is getting the extra minion play since the deck only card that allows it (Nine Lives). The game was built mostly around madness spam and Whiskers's destroy for an extra action. That said though it was really fun, especially in a one on one game where you can just disrupt anything your opponent is trying to build and stress them with Madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game and Robot Mythic Horses were unstoppable. In the final turn of the game they managed to amass an army of nearly 40 power to break the final base.

Fairy Princesses did decently. They were also able to amass large numbers quickly with extra actions.

Kitty cat Vampires did OK. They had some fun killing potential but they were not able to get enough strength in play nor weaken the Robo-horses enough to slow them down. So many bases scored that game by players mustering 15+ power in minions out of nowhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Effect
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairies + Cyborg Apes = Many new transferible Actions to play on Ape minions and many options to do with cards. You can transfer Actions to fairies.

Kitty cats + Geeks. Geeks had cards to control minions, so the options to do that with cats are better with geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairie ants rocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Princess/Steampunk. You have huge power potential when you get out your Aggromotive and Rotary Slug-Thrower, and you increase the Princess' already considerable ability to move from base to base. Got rocked by this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Grandjean
msg tools
I won't say it's the most powerful option, but kitty ninjas are hilarious.
Would you like some death with your death?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
Robot Ponies was INCREDIBLY strong in my playgroup.

In fact, I think both Ponies & Princesses went well with just about anything. Faries were probably the "weakest", but weak is relative. I had a Fairy/Wizard player who had some insane plays. Werewolf Princesses, Time Traveling Princesses, Cat Robots, Cat Dinos, Cat Ghosts, Cat Pirates, etc. This factions is incredible aha.

However, I have to add that every time I played with PPSM, we played a 4-player game where each person had 1 of the factions. I'm not sure how they handle outside of themselves, but I'm sure they're all still strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
I just played Princess/Spies last night and almost won. It's incredibly useful to look through your upcoming cards to plan accordingly through the extra actions the deck has. Mole also has a lot more options at hand with many of the Princess' actions (Tale As Old As Time becomes another Full Sail when used by Mole, while True Love's Kiss could act as another Some Day My Prince Will Come).

My friend played Cat/Pirates, which proved to be deadly as he'd take control of your lower power minions and take advantage of them with Powderkeg and Dinghy.

I also played Fairy/Apes, which proved to be powerful with the extra actions or draw power the Fairies give you.

Horse/Werewolves seems like it could work, as the Horses have a few cards that allow them to play an extra minion, which could be used to play an extra Werewolf (any would suffice, they'd all have at least 4 power when coming into play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Mikic
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like playing the faeries with cyborg apes.

The actions that have talent move to another minion is very powerful to have spread out then all move to a Furious George when you play him.

Robot Horses are strong, can feel a little too strong at times... until

Princess Zombies with constant "can only play one extra card" minion appears, and appears, and appears, and appears.

Cats shape shifters is the only combo I played with cats, only because you get more chance of getting fluffy n whiskers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quit and nuts wrote:
- I have not found an exceptionally good partner for the faeries. They are so versatile that they can go well with several partners and against many opponents.

They are quite helpful for First mates (but a bit less than mad scientists). The card draw gives some options when pirate actions aren't truly useful yet.

Card draw is very useful for Tricksters's Enshrouding Mist . The movable Leaf armor make the Leprechaum happy

Cats also enjoy options for reducing minion's power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.