Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A game with little to no downtime like Puerto Rico? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Realized this is one of my favorite aspects of the game after reading the meta-review of Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy and San Juan 2nd Edition are based off PR, and both have extremely low/no downtime.

Games that typically have "no downtime" either have simultaneous actions or very high interactivity. Cooperatives and drafting tend to be like this.

I'd say consider:
Pandemic
Forbidden Island/Desert
7 Wonders
Libertalia

All these 6 have relatively low downtime. I can't say much more without more of what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges. Many actions take a matter of seconds to execute. Occasionally, someone could take a while to figure out which card to play. But that shouldn't happen often enough to create significant downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
United States
Sumas
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 7 Wonders, San Juan

Metropolys
Ginkgopolis
Luna
Troyes
Santiago
Yspahan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bondgoldfinger wrote:

I have San Juan (and like it). Not a fan of 7 wonders (friends play it a lot, I'm starting to hate it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few games that fit this bill. The biggest one I have is 7 Wonders - No matter the player count, everyone chooses their actions at the same time. This means that with 5 players we usually finish a game in about 30 minutes or so.

There are a lot of others so I will just list a few here and if I have to, explain why there is less downtime with them.

Race for the Galaxy and San Juan - both are based on Puerto Rico, so if you like the rounds of Puerto Rico per role selection, each of these are similar and awesome.

Roll for the Galaxy is a similar deal to above.

There are lots of coop games that keep players involved even on other players turns. This could be considered downtime if you choose not to contribute, but I will leave it at that. Coops are a good choice because they may not be taking their turn, but they are discussing the team's actions.

In some cases, all you would want is a game where play is relatively quick, or maybe something like Catan wherein you can trade with other players during their turns, meaning you might be contributing outside your turn.

Many games do things to mitigate downtime, but not all.

You may want something like Formula D where turns are short each turn.

I'm sure many other good answers will come. These are just top of my head answers.

Edit: Typing mine at work made me take longer and now all my answers have been taken (or many have been). Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that Kingsburg and Stone Age have relatively little down time. Action choices cycle through all players multiple time and resolutions are relatively quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What I liked a lot about Roll for the Galaxy was the minimal downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Semotan
United States
New Lenox
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Snake Juice
mbmbmbmbmb
I also look for games that fit this bill and ones that I have had great success in with little down time are Mac Gerdts games. These include Navegador, Concordia, The Princes of Machu Picchu, Antike (II). Most of his games are "rondel" games, but I think that's what makes them appealing in this regard. You pick just one action for your turn and then you're done. That holds true for all the other players as well.

Every group is different of course and sometimes the implications of your selected action might take a sec, but for the most part, it's a pretty good paced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious one not yet mentioned - Escape: The Curse of the Temple. 10 minute cooperative simultaneous turns dice rolling madhouse. Explore the temple, ditch the cursed gems, and get everyone out before it collapses - but remember to return to the safety of the temples heart every 3 minutes or face the dire consequences (you have 5 dice, not getting back in time costs you one of those dice). Great filler - but a bit stressful for me, so I can only handle a game or two each game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth van Doorn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of recent games that fit this bill (and are also good):

Waggle Dance is a dice-worker placement game with a bee theme. The only "turns" is in placing workers after rolling your workers for the turn. With each player placing one dice at a time it tends to be your go again within a few seconds so no real downtime (I am often still trying to figure out the best next placement by the time it's my go again). Then worker resolution is simultaneous.

March of the Ants has a Puerto-Rico kind of thing going where for every action a player takes, opponents get to take a reaction. Ie if I use a "March" action to move 5 ants, everyone else gets to move 1 ant in reaction. It's still turn-based for the main phase but the constant reactions make it feel like no downtime. Several phases are simultaneous resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget games that break rounds into tiny bite-sized actions for each player like:
Keyflower
Eclipse
Imperial Settlers
Chicago Express

and group-think turns like
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

And if you are familiar with Race for the Galaxy, I would assume you have looked into Impulse and Glory to Rome as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally and Space Alert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Keyflower!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome - though you might have some trouble getting ahold of it.

And probably lighter than what you're looking for, but Colt Express is a really fun, fast casual game that I like to whip out to get everyone excited yet relaxed before a big name night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is a good one and the only deck-builder I know of that scales well. And the reason is because everyone gets to play on everyone's turn. Each player has their own turn, where they choose an action and the other players are allowed to follow that action, but the turn player gets some kind of added advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for all the recommendations. Digging through all these games will be half the fun but it's quite the choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't get less downtime than Pit!

Some new games you might consider:
Bomb Squad
Entropy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jhaimowitz wrote:
I've found that Kingsburg and Stone Age have relatively little down time. Action choices cycle through all players multiple time and resolutions are relatively quick.

Is Kingsburg as good as I think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly no downtime: Space Cadets: Dice Duel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Strybuk
Belarus
Gomel
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in Historia all players choose their actions simultaneously, downtime is minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:

One of my biggest dislikes of the game is the downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi, since you want to interpret everybody's hints to each other to understand who knows what and what crazy things you can say/do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark downie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few great games I believe have little or no downtime.
Race for the Galaxy
Dixit
Diamant
Fairy Tale
Galaxy Trucker
RoboRally
River Dragons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwould wrote:
GrimThunderbrew wrote:

One of my biggest dislikes of the game is the downtime.

Then somebody is playing it wrong. You have one action. You can keep doing actions in the round as long as you can do something. There is little player interaction so you have little reason to worry about somebody screwing you over. In other words, you have a large amount of free reign in terms what of you can do on your turn.

Outside of the previously mentioned simultaneous action selection games that are built for little downtime, Trains and its follow up has always played quick for me, but I tend to play with people well versed in Dominion.

It is a filler, but No Thanks! also plays real quick.

Just played Tower of Babel yesterday and that played rather quick as everybody is involved in each player's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.