Popular Tags: [View All]
Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, after a hiatus of over two months, me and my brother-in-arms Mats finally found an evening when we both were off duty and were able to fight another battle of Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1. It turned out that we would meet in two conflicts before night was upon us, which also effectively meant we have played through the all the basic scenarios in the first game. Luckily, I have already purchased the second box, where more scenarios (and artillery, let's not forget the artillery!) await us.

S5: Clearing Colleville

Fate would have me act as the German commander trying to keep the town as the advancing American 1st Infantry Divisions, commanded by Mats were appearing on the horizon. I set up my machinegun squads west of town, as at least the backbone of the americans were to come from there. And so they came. Mats' fighting yanks took cover in the nearby houses on the other side of the field (yU6) and opened fire.

Because of a huge fninjakup in logistics the american reinforcements that were supposed to enter from the start were left behind. I guess the american commander hadn't woken up yet... There was much laughter (mostly on the german side...) about this blunder, as the outnumbered americans' coverfire had little to no effect. The Germans were keeping their heads down and were satisfied with simply returning fire. As all squads were taking cover in stone houses, little was actually accomplished in the first minutes...

But then the american reinforcements started to pour in like locusts in ancient Egypt. Mats sent in a squad to the wood house north of town (yO10) and tried to surround the town by sending in part of his troops through the woods east of the objective. The rest of the troops were (perhaps overly defensively...) placed out of harms way into the houses far west (yZ7-9). I did some minor regrouping to be able to meet the newcomers from the east, sending a machinegun squad to the center of town (yM6) ready and able to fire in all directions. All other squads stayed put and merely sprayed salvos of cover fire all over the place to, again, no result...

As the americans were entering town from the east I noticed the americans were not the only ones capable of fatal mistakes. The reinforcements I had been expecting had forgotten about their engagement, and were no-where to be seen. Mats had the town surrounded, and even had some troops in town. Now all he had to do was break my units to win.

I should probably have sent my reinforcements, as they arrived a turn too late, into town to protect the houses, but I was (unnecessarily) afraid of the americans waiting further west, so I sent in half of the newcomers behind the woods in the west to at least keep them in place. As I had my men still in good order and spread out in town Mats was not able to move his troops into optimal positions and had to settle for firing from further back. He kept the trigger pulled for three turns in a row. But his infantrymen seemed to be tired from the fighting on the beach, and hit nothing. By the end of his last activation all my squads were in good order, and I was in position in seven houses withing the town. Mats ordered a tactical retreat and headed back for more supplies and ammunition. Maybe even some target practice for the troops - they seemed to be in need of such.

Victory for the german 726th Regiment, 352nd Infantry Division! Colleville had not been cleared. History too tells the tale of how Colleville wasn't taken by the allies until the following day.

The scenario was a complete disaster for the americans for the simple reason that all Prep-firing failed. All the time. However he tried he could not get my troops to break for long enough to advance. My firing was not conciderably better, but I was not pressed for time either. All I had to do was keep at least one good order unit in town, so I just made sure I always had at least one leader running around to rally troops if necessary. This was probably (for the reasons stated above) the most boring scenario we had played so far. The good news was it hadn't lasted for more than about two hours, so we quickly did the traditional shaking-of-the-hands and set up for the next scenario.

S6: Released from the East

Again fate (the dice) decided I was to command the germans, and again I was to defend a town. This time, however I was attacked by the Russian 9th Guards Infantry Division, who needed to (re)take control over two out of three large (multi-hex) buildings (zR2, zL6 and zD3). I did the simple set up and divided my troops into three, placing them around the three buildings. I could have placed them inside the buildings, but opted not to, as that would not have been a good position to return fire. I briefly concidered leaving one house totally undefended, concentrating on just the remaining two, but chose not to.

Mats decided to use the tactical reserve option and left some squads behind as he sent in his initial forces. From the arriving troops he seemed to have decided on not going for the western house (zR2), attacking both other houses straight on from the north. He took positions in neighboring houses and opened fire. And this time it hurt... As my troops in the middle house were taking a beating I decided to leave the western house and sent in the SS-troops from there to the houses west of the middle house (zR5-7) to offer coverfire.

My gamble paid off as Mats sent in his remaining squads from the tactical reserve to appear from the southeast corner, moving in on the east house from the unprotected rear. I had on a previous turn been forced to move my squads northward in the house to keep the russians firing from the other side of the road (zG7 & zF7) from advancing into the house.

My problem was my too many of my squads were broken, and I couldn't respond to the attack from the south. I was forced to dispatch some squads from the middle house and sent them running double-time along the roads. They had to take a slight detour to not be caught by russian fire, and didn't make it in time. I had effectively lost control over the two houses, having only a broken half-squad in each, outmanned by at least four times as many russians, all in good order.

On my last turn I advanced the last squads I had alive into the houses, but these had no time to open fire before they were ambushed by russians who took care of them in close combat. It was time for me to look defeat in the eye...

After the previous disappointing scenario we were pleased we decided to play one more, as this was one of, if not the most exciting and tight battles we've had so far. The final result of the fight was not decided until the last dieroll of the last turn, and our hands were shaking as we rolled for the final close combats.

I was surprised Mats chose not to attack the western house, as it is the smallest of the objective houses, and has the most space around it. But in aftermath I guess Mats made the right decision, as I had the western house very well surrounded and defended. I also (nevertheless) think I was right in not leaving any houses undefended from the start. Even if that would have meant more troops to defend the remaining two, it also meant I could afford to lose only one of them. I think neither of us made any tactical errors in this match, we merely shot a lot better, Mats more so than me.

We congratulated each other, and established the fact that after six scenarios we are still tied for victories. We pulled out the first scenario of Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #2 to examine it and discuss tactical choices, as we always do. One final beer along with some discussions of army memories and it was time to call it a night. We also made a executive decision not to wait two months until we meet again, as one manages to forget at whole lot in two months...

Mats (Coast jaeger/infantry 3 victories
Mosse (Fire command/artillery) 3 victories

----------
pictures on my blog entry at:
http://www.imosse.net/index.php?show=entry&id=606
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report for a great game. Any plans to try to graduate to full ASL in the future?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Great session report for a great game. Any plans to try to graduate to full ASL in the future?
Andy

Thanks!

It's an easy game to write session reports on... We've just played (once) through the scenarios in the Starter Kit #1. I think we'll play through the scanrios of all three starter kits (at least) once before even concidering buiying the Advanced Squad Leader (the rulebook), and Beyond Valor: ASL Module 1. There's playing enough for quite some time, after which I think we'll try some other systems too... There's just too much to choose from.

It's not out of the question, though - not by a long shot!
We're both quite addicted to the system...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, keep at it.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gilchrist
United States
Voorhees
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget you can play scenarios S7 "Prelude to Festung Brest" from Operations Magazine #46 and S8 "Ad Hoc at Chef-du-Pont" from Operations Magazine #47
Both are for Starter Kit 1, and there are two more starter kit scenarios from Operations #48 and #49 for Starter Kit 2 (S17 "A Ridge too Far" and S18 "Baking Bread)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.