Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I (happyjosiah here on boardgamegeek) were wondering if this would be possible in this game? We love draft cubes (although Magic CCG and LotR CCG cubes are my favorite).

I would assume there should be a separate draft for summoners since everyone needs them. I'm thinking we'd create a "pack" of summoners and everyone would draft from that pack, and then I would place the remaining Summoners not used (all of them), into the drafting pool for people to draft for more options. Of course then it would be annoying to try and find them afterward and make sure they get separated. Any suggestions? The only thing that you keep with your summoner would be the starting setup and the units that go into that starting setup (meaning your deckbuilding options would be including the starting cards in your total)

But other than that any units or events could make it into your deck I doubt all events could make it into the pool as some of them are way too specific for each faction (looking at you Sneek's events), or just wouldn't be desirable considering how hard it would be to coordinate getting the friendly commons. But I think there are still plenty of events that would be useful.

The other rule that would have to be made is that I think that after everyone drafts their deck they will have to sleeve their deck with different opaque cards as it would be a nightmare trying to remember what goes where after a game where all cards are scattered in all the various piles. It's not ideal for a draft cube as the card longevity would be compromised, but it's probably as good as it gets.

I'm thinking I will need to put at least 2 of each common in the draft pool in order to have enough cards, as I don't think there are enough commons (even with the starting ones included), for multiple players to get up to 18 or more. There will also probably be 2 of various events as well, but we'll see.

I tried to search for a thread talking about this but I couldn't find anything here or even at boardgamegeek. Has anyone else tried this out and tested it?

I'd love to hear some input or maybe if someone has already tried it. I haven't even begun to think of the crazy rule questions that will arise by allowing the combination of anything in the game, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, free build is getting resurrected. I haven't ever seen or heard of anything that crazy, but it's a cool idea.

Rather than doing the sleeving, why not just make a deck list after your draft and then rebuild using that? You could even lay your deck out and snap a picture of it.

If you try this, let me know how it goes. Seems mindblowing, but could be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your intention to get a single deck when done, or let people build their deck out of what they've drafted? I could see it going either way, but there may wind up being a lot of filler in people's decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thought is that there is a group of us (probably 4), and we sit down and draft decks and then play everyone. It's something fairly simple and doesn't take too long to do. That's what we do with drafting cubes of other games. We like to keep it fast paced.

People will build their deck out of what they drafted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I found the idea of drafting for Summoner Wars really appealing as well. One house rule we are trying out serves to help with the faction issues. It consists of two "unwritten" rules:

During your event phase you may spend 1 magic point to add a marker to a unit and make it factionless while that marker is on it. So a Vanguard common could be affected by Cave Goblin events for example. If it leaves the battlefield it loses the marker.

The second is that during your event phase you may spent 2 magic points to make all of your cards (your discard,your magic pile, deck, hand, all units and walls you control) factionless for the turn, but only until the end of that turn.

We are still testing it out but so far it has been a lot of fun.

We are also experimenting with allowing units to be swapped into the starting setup if they have the same cost...that one is still a little finicky.

Let me know what you think, or if your group has had any success with similar adjustments.

-Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.