Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike iapezzuto
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I place a worker on my home tile can I move a resource from another tile towards my home tile so I can upgrade my home tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You do your transportation before you do your upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike iapezzuto
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know I transport before I upgrade, but can I move a resource from another tile to my home tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Grenier
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hammertime7777 wrote:
I know I transport before I upgrade, but can I move a resource from another tile to my home tile?

You can move resources along any road you want.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what rule you don't understand.

If you need wood and stone to upgrade your house, you have a stone on your home tile, have Keywood with wood on it next to your home tile connected by your road, you can activate your home tile, use the 1 transport to move the wood to your home tile, then use your one upgrade to upgrade your home tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook actually doesn't specify the order in which transportation and upgrading must occur. It just says that when you activate a transport/upgrade tile, you may transport resources and upgrade tiles up to as many times as indicated on the tile. It doesn't specifically say "transport and then upgrade". So I always assumed you could do them in any order and even split them up. For example, moving a resource, then upgrading something, then moving again.

It makes a difference. Let's say I upgrade my home tile first, with the required resources already there on the tile. Am I now suddenly able to do two moves instead of the one that I originally had before the tile was flipped over?

Where in the rules does it specify the order? Are you guys aware of a designer clarification on this issue or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike iapezzuto
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
The rulebook actually doesn't specify the order in which transportation and upgrading must occur. It just says that when you activate a transport/upgrade tile, you may transport resources and upgrade tiles up to as many times as indicated on the tile. It doesn't specifically say "transport and then upgrade". So I always assumed you could do them in any order and even split them up. For example, moving a resource, then upgrading something, then moving again.

It makes a difference. Let's say I upgrade my home tile first, with the required resources already there on the tile. Am I now suddenly able to do two moves instead of the one that I originally had before the tile was flipped over?

Where in the rules does it specify the order? Are you guys aware of a designer clarification on this issue or something?

The rules say you move goods and or upgrade tiles "as indicated by the upgrade icons" which references "one of the transport tiles" on which you placed a worker.

So, there's a tile with pictures on it. You put a worker there, you get the pictures. So your interpretation of upgrading a transportation tile and then using a different set of pictures does not sound appropriate. (And breaks down pretty fast.)

So at least with the base game, it's easiest to tell someone to transport first so they don't worry about questions like the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:

The rules say you move goods and or upgrade tiles "as indicated by the upgrade icons" which references "one of the transport tiles" on which you placed a worker.

So, there's a tile with pictures on it. You put a worker there, you get the pictures. So your interpretation of upgrading a transportation tile and then using a different set of pictures does not sound appropriate. (And breaks down pretty fast.)

So at least with the base game, it's easiest to tell someone to transport first so they don't worry about questions like the OP.

But it's the same tile - just a different side of that tile. You are probably right, but you have to admit there's room for misinterpretation there. The rules are not explicit on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:

But it's the same tile - just a different side of that tile. You are probably right, but you have to admit there's room for misinterpretation there. The rules are not explicit on it.

I haven't searched to see if anyone asked that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you upgrade first you are performing that before you look at the picture. So the logic of:

Upgrade first
Use upgrade side (I.e. Transport 2 instead of 1)

Is valid.

scifiantihero wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:
The rulebook actually doesn't specify the order in which transportation and upgrading must occur. It just says that when you activate a transport/upgrade tile, you may transport resources and upgrade tiles theup to as many times as indicated on the tile. It doesn't specifically say "transport and then upgrade". So I always assumed you could do them in any order and even split them up. For example, moving a resource, then upgrading something, then moving again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
But if you upgrade first you are performing that before you look at the picture. So the logic of:

Upgrade first
Use upgrade side (I.e. Transport 2 instead of 1)

Is valid.

scifiantihero wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:
The rulebook actually doesn't specify the order in which transportation and upgrading must occur. It just says that when you activate a transport/upgrade tile, you may transport resources and upgrade tiles theup to as many times as indicated on the tile. It doesn't specifically say "transport and then upgrade". So I always assumed you could do them in any order and even split them up. For example, moving a resource, then upgrading something, then moving again.

You get everything at once. Production tiles even say immediately in the rules before this one.

This same logic suggests you can just take the whole new side of the tile after exhausting the first side if a transport tile is upgraded.

I am sure I play correctly so am not bothering to see if this is a frequently misinterpreted rule on these boards. if someone else finds that not to be the case, I'm subscribed to this thread and to the forum, so I'll find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:

i think you're right that they don't specify but if you consider how everything else in the game works it stands to reason that you need to transport first before upgrading tiles. if this were not the case then transport tiles would work differently from every other type of production in the game in that you could activate the side of the tile that is not visible at the time of activation. that feels quite wrong to me.

regardless though given how frequently this forum is frequented by the designers i suspect we'll get an official response fairly quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's already be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it goes like this:
1. Activate "Transport / upgrade" tile with your workers. It does not matter where this tile is (in Your village, opponent has it, in auction).
2. Now you do the action related to that tile:
a) you MAY transport X number of spaces. What you transport, from where the goods come and where they go - it does not matter. You can activate auctioned tile and move goods in your village. or activate your home tile and move goods in your village, but on different tile, lets say 5 spaces away. You are only limited by number ov "moves" (so with transportation of 2 you may move 1 ANY resource in your village 2 spaces or you can move 2 resources 1 space each, resources dont have to come from same tile or go to same tile).
b) you MAY do an upgrade (or two - depends on tile you activated - number of upgrades is indicated by little black house icon, each icon is 1 upgrade) - you can upgrady ANY tile in your village as long as you have needed resources on that tile (or skill behind your screen). Distance does not matter.

I dont see any reason why you could not upgrade first and move afterwards. So You can do a) and b) in any order you want. Specificaly you can first move some goods to tile X and after you move them you can upgrade that tile (since it has required goods on it).

IMO as for upgrading your Home tile you just activated first... Well, upgrade is a result of activation, so the tile is already activated and you do the actions drawn on a tile at the same time you activate it. So flipping this tile is next in line. First activate/upgrade/move. You will not benefit from upgraded transport in the same action.

Thats my point of view - symbols you reslove are symbols you see when you are activating the tile, not after doing some stuff that activation allowed you to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.