Popular Tags: [View All]
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to think I'm not the only one who misinterpreted "Diet of Worms." After having purchased the game and reading the rules, I have come to learn that the phrase does not refer to what Luther ate while trying to hide from the Catholics. After reading more of the historical background apparently I was pronouncing it wrong. I now believe it to be "dee-yet" (like Japanese Parliament) and not "die-it" (like South Beach Diet). Also, worms is evidently some town where this body met to conduct business, and does not refer to annelids and nematodes.

Now I'm sure that when Luther burned the papal bull, he did not set fire to the pope's male cow. Perhaps bull is short for bulletein (I don't know how to spell it).

Would any one care to indulge me about indulgences? After the forgoing, I do not believe they are what I think they might be.

(I do not mean this to be sarcastic. I have always considered myself a learned person. This is just a testament to these "wargames" that I have recently discovered. I have learned so much from them in such a short time. I'm now hooked and looking for a copy of wilderness war. Always wanted to know more about the war between the French and the Indians (that last bit actually was sarcasm)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Okay, so I'm and idiot.
Devon Harmon wrote:
Also, worms is evidently some town where this body met to conduct business, and does not refer to annelids and nematodes.

This 'body' was the assembly of all high ranking nobility of the HRRdN including Emperor Karl V. And the business in this case was to have Luther withdraw his opinion.

Devon Harmon wrote:
Now I'm sure that when Luther burned the papal bull, he did not set fire to the pope's male cow. Perhaps bull is short for bulletein (I don't know how to spell it).

The word bulletin has the same roots as bull. A bull was a significant stately or papal decree/document in the middle ages, which had a (usually metal) seal attached to it, the bulla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devon Harmon wrote:
Would any one care to indulge me about indulgences? After the forgoing, I do not believe they are what I think they might be.

From what I understand, indulgences are sort of a spiritual forgiveness handed out by the church, usually in exchange for some sort of service meant to be an act of contrition. Back in Luther's day, the church was in the habit of selling indulgences to sinners, in exchange for a monetary contribution, often to fund the rebuilding of St. Peter's Basilica. This is one of the practices of the church that Luther and his followers thought corrupt, and was one of the major objections of his Protestant Reformation.

This is just based on my very rough understanding of the history. Wikipedia has an excellent article on indulgences, and it's an interesting read. In fact, most of their articles on the Reformation are very insightful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smidt
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devon,
"indulgences" were sold by travelling Catholic thugs as bits of worthless documents that were promised to "buy" your dead relatives a reprieve from purgatory. The uneducated masses were duped into believing that by making a big contribution to the Pope's coffers by purchasing an indulgence, they could spare their dead Grandpa some time in this limbo of purgatory (which is in itself an invention of the Catholic church).
For an excellent representation of this in the life of Martin Luther, go out and rent "Luther" on DVD. It's a great movie and explains many of the questions you had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, not only were you mispronouncing "Diet," you're probably also mispronouncing "Worms." In German the "W" is pronounced as a "V," so "Worms" is pronounced "Vorms," and it rhymes with "forms," not "terms."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.