Nathan Kushner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Flesh Tetris
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a really cracking 5-hander last night. My first game to have more than 4 players, and even though some players were new, everything clicked. People got pretty quickly that throwing out invitations casually was not going to be a winning strategy, and decisions were made with consideration of not only their power and the encounters' opponents' power, but all powers on the table. Everyone did at least one thing that was clever or hilarious that they could be proud of. Basically, they "got it" to a degree beyond any other group in my 5-6 plays so far.

In the midgame, I was playing the Loser as the offense in an encounter against the Pacifist. I had spent the last few turns making it so that my only card left was an N, and I invoked the power, knowing that it was a rare chance for me to use my N in an upset encounter, while at the same time preventing the Pacifist from using any of his Ns.

So, it was N vs attack. I lost, therefore I won. None of that was in dispute.

What was briefly in dispute was whether I could win an encounter and still get compensation from my N. I didn't press the issue, since the encounter left me in a great position to eventually win the game (my first win! Solo!), the table largely didn't think I should take compensation, and also because at that point, I'd have rather had 8 fresh cards than 2 compensation cards. I just let the question drop in the name of fun and let people know I'd research it later.

What would you guys rule in this case?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you get compensation for ships lost to the warp (source: rules page 11). You won the encounter and lost no ships to the warp, so no compensation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kushner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Flesh Tetris
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect! Now that you say it, it sounds so obviously correct. Good to know we played it correctly, and thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. You only get compensation when you *lose* with an N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.