Ben Pelzmann
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I just finished the first three (intro) scenarios with my friend. There was always a lot of excitement when we explored a location and revealed a card we hadn't seen before.

So, now we will start with the first adventure. My question is: do the weapons, spells, allys and so on get shuffled into the corresponding decks we already have? I guess that's the case but if so, will we still encounter these basic items we encountered now when we are far further ahead? With every card that's added, the decks "dilute" a little bit, right? We don't take anything out and we will see the same allies all the time?

Thanks for any answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The decks will be a bit diluted, but you start taking out "Basic" cards in Adventure 3, and then "Elite" cards in Adventure 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The instructions for this are on the Adventure Path card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to answer the question in your title, I found exploring got boring after a while, but mainly because I played the game so often. It had nothing to do with the content of the decks. I like that the older cards are always more numerous than the new ones. It makes finding a high-level boon that much more exciting (and you usually waste a bunch of blessings making sure you gain it, since who knows when you'll see it again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the boring cards get exciting when you have the wrong hand of cards. We're playing through adventure path 4 of Skull & Shackles, and one character ended up having to re-fight a Basic Zombie 3 times because of a combination of rotten die rolling and no weapons in hand... It was one of the rare homing zombies, that kept reappearing after being shuffled into the deck... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To answer the question in your title, our group of around 3-5 players has played all of Rise of Runelords (33 encounters?) and more than half of Skull & Shackles.

WE NEVER EXPLORE ANY LOCATION EVER snore

Stuff just accumulates as you go. We concentrate entirely on closing locations. Today, for instance, we closed 3 of 6 locations on the first turn of our game! Even so, the blessing deck was nearly exhausted by the time we managed to finish it off. Time is precious, don't waste it exploring or your clock will run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pelzmann
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
The decks will be a bit diluted, but you start taking out "Basic" cards in Adventure 3, and then "Elite" cards in Adventure 5.

Thanks! I missed that because we hadn't started the adventure yet, that's a nice feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimZam wrote:
To answer the question in your title, our group of around 3-5 players has played all of Rise of Runelords (33 encounters?) and more than half of Skull & Shackles.

Stuff just accumulates as you go. We concentrate entirely on closing locations. Today, for instance, we closed 3 of 6 locations on the first turn of our game! Even so, the blessing deck was nearly exhausted by the time we managed to finish it off. Time is precious, don't waste it exploring or your clock will run out.
How exactly do you play without exploring and how exactly did you close 3 locations on the first player's first turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
firedale2002 wrote:
JimZam wrote:

How exactly do you play without exploring and how exactly did you close 3 locations on the first player's first turn?

I'd be curious to know this too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@firedale and Duchess:

I suppose I should have expected these sorts of responses (this is BGG after all) but here goes:

When I said "first turn" I meant the first go-around at the table where we had 4 players, I'm pretty sure you understood what I meant. The first player closed a location, the second player closed a location, the third player did not, and the fourth player closed a location.

As for how you "play without exploring" I'm pretty sure you also understood what I meant, but to make it perfectly clear: we play always to prioritize closing of locations, for example nobody ever goes to a location that they have very little chance of closing. Also when we encounter a henchman, we always pile everything on the kill, and then we do the same to close the location.

And with that, I think I'll check out of this post for good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimZam wrote:
@firedale and Duchess:

As for how you "play without exploring" I'm pretty sure you also understood what I meant, but to make it perfectly clear: we play always to prioritize closing of locations, for example nobody ever goes to a location that they have very little chance of closing. Also when we encounter a henchman, we always pile everything on the kill, and then we do the same to close the location.

No, we didn't understand what you meant. All I can figure is that you either meant "we don't explore" in the precise PACG sense of explore, in which case your post made no sense since it's impossible to play without exploring; or you meant "we don't explore" in the colloquial sense of "to wander aimlessly" in which case you post also made no sense, since that's obviously not what the OP was talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
JimZam wrote:
@firedale and Duchess:

No, we didn't understand what you meant. All I can figure is that you either meant "we don't explore" in the precise PACG sense of explore, in which case your post made no sense since it's impossible to play without exploring; or you meant "we don't explore" in the colloquial sense of "to wander aimlessly" in which case you post also made no sense, since that's obviously not what the OP was talking about.

I'm baffled myself. Considering the likelihood of 3 locations having the Henchman on top that consistently, allowing you to close them on the first set of turns. I really have to wonder if they are just ignoring the entire rule about defeating the Henchman first. In any case, they could be a bit less snarky about trying to restate their point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimZam wrote:
@firedale and Duchess:

I suppose I should have expected these sorts of responses (this is BGG after all) but here goes:

When I said "first turn" I meant the first go-around at the table where we had 4 players, I'm pretty sure you understood what I meant. The first player closed a location, the second player closed a location, the third player did not, and the fourth player closed a location.

If I had understood what you meant, I wouldn't have asked for clarification on how exactly you did it. This being BGG and all, lots of people come here and view topics, many of which don't have English as a first language, and so, much of the things they read here are taken literally.

I have English as my first language, and sadly, I still didn't understand what you meant because it had no context other than exactly what you said, and exactly what you said made no sense.

That'd be why I asked for information. Perhaps, in the future, instead of deciding and replying like someone asking for clarification on a post you make has some other intent than asking for information, you should simply respond in an informative and respectful manner.

Quote:
I suppose I should have expected these sorts of responses (this is BGG after all) but here goes: ...
It seems to be people like you here on BGG that you're referring to, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Fromhell
msg tools
To stay focused on the original post, this is my comment on the latest postings:

You can explore multiple times during your turn by playing blessing and ally cards you have in your hand, or acquire during exploring. There are even some effects, on locations or character effects, that let you explore again "for free" when certain criterias are fulfilled, so the Henchman doesn't have to be the top card; it's enough that it's among those top 1 to X Cards that you happen to explore during a player's turn.

When I read what we are commenting here I read it as "we explore each location with the purpose of closing each location as early as possible" as opposed to "We cycle through as many cards in each location deck as possible in order to get juicy new card to put in our decks".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimZam wrote:
@firedale and Duchess:

I didn't understand that 'first turn' meant first turn of all players. And that's what caused the confusion for me.

I did suspect, but could not tell for sure from your post, that with 'play without exploring' you meant that you don't explore for the sake of exploring, but only to get to the henchies and get rid of them to close the location (this is what we do too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.