Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy Memoir '44, but Heroes of Normandie is making me feel like I should consider it as a replacement. I don't need both games in my collection.

Can anyone compare and contrast this to Memoir '44, please?

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Normandie is more complex than Memoir '44. Memoir ruleset is simplier and cleaner. Heroes of normandie is a lot more detailed Memoir is got an enormous amount of scenarios while Heroes of Normandie lacks in compare becaus it looks like you're supposed to build your own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, completely different. It isn't card driven first of all and it isn't as "rigid" either. I can go on with a lot of reasons, but the two games are apples and oranges. I always preferred Battlelore to M44, so take that for what it's worth.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games are not comparable in any way except they both are WWII games. I have both and enjoy them for different reasons. Memoir is good for quick, laid back fun with plastic figures and for reliving many battles in a very abstract way. I don't care about so-called lack of realism/simulation or game mechanics complaints given its a game and all games are unrealistic on many levels.

HON is a little more involved, more detailed,, takes a bit longer and has fewer redesigned scenarios. I find its closer to Conflict of Heroes than Memoir 44, but not as serious of course or time consuming.

I'm keeping all three systems along with solo games in the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir has more scenarios because it has been out for years. They have had more time to develop a catalog and have some nice expansions and scenario sets available.

Heroes of Normandie has a bunch of scenarios in the core box, but most are just introductory to help you learn the system. There is a system included for build-your-own scenarios and they can be a lot of fun.

D-Day has 2 new units and 3 scenarios in the book. along as a set of rules for building landing scenarios.

So far they are publishing about 3 gazettes a year with 2 scenarios and usually additional units.
Gazette #0 has the errata boards instead of new units.
Gazette #1 had mine fields and mine sweepers (and their rules)
Gazette #2 has Hobart's Funnies (special purpose tanks) and their rules.

The 3 scenario boxes coming this summer have more terrain, additional units, expansion rules, and several scenarios (I do not know the exact count per box at this point).

DPG also gave official support to a fan-run scenario contest where they put all the scenarios in their Scenario Template so that presentation would not be factor for the judging. They have expressed plans to do more such in the future as they upgrade their website to include better fan-made scenario support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and they are totally incomparable. I shall be keeping both as they scratch different itches.

I only play M44 in Overlord format these days as the rules and scenarios are much more satisfying than vanilla M44 to me.

HON is the best sandbox mode game I've ever come across due to the fantastic template system for units and equipment.

Liking one game doesn't mean you will necessarilly like the other, but neither do they 'replace' each other unless thinning your collection is your motivation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I play Memoir 44, Tide Of Iron, and Heroes Of Normandie quite a bit. Tide Of Iron bits + Memoir 44 bits = Heroes Of Normandie. Difficulty wise Heroes Of Normandie and Tide Of Iron as similar.

My takes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I own both and they are totally incomparable. I shall be keeping both as they scratch different itches.

I only play M44 in Overlord format these days as the rules and scenarios are much more satisfying than vanilla M44 to me.

HON is the best sandbox mode game I've ever come across due to the fantastic template system for units and equipment.

Liking one game doesn't mean you will necessarilly like the other, but neither do they 'replace' each other unless thinning your collection is your motivation.

I've played both and totally agree. They are very different games. HoN is more detailed, more customizable, and more tactical.

M44 is a little grander in scale (both in represented battlefield area and army size). It's also less tactical for the same reason and has less rules.

Both are very fun and are really different IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing I'll say about HoN. It's very easy to House Rule and very easy to build your own senarios. I found that harder to do in M44 (especially the senario part).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 and Heroes of Normanie are *completely* different games. I mean, absolutely completely different games.

And I speak with authority, because I know nothing about the games themselves but read all the comments above and can now summarize them for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.