Subject: Supply after an invasion of Upper Egypt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Van Camp
Belgium
Gent
Unspecified
flag msg tools

After a German breakthrough in North Africa, the British attempt to catch the panzers moving on Baku in the rear by invading a German-occupied Upper Egypt from the British Home Areas.

My question is - assuming Upper Egypt remains Axis-controlled but contested after the invasion combat rounds are resolved, how is British supply handled ?
- are the units supplied through the beachhead, requiring double supply capacity, in addition to the requirement of 4x capacity for being supplied around the cape = 8x Atlantic supply capacity which equals 2 Atlantic FleetPoints for each unit ?
- or can they be supplied through the port, and as such simply require a 4x capacity requirement which equals 1 Atlantic FleetPoint per unit ?

Thanks for clearing this up :-)

Johan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Upper Egypt is still Axis-controlled, the British will have to trace supply through the beachhead, with each block counting as 8. Thus, it takes two Atlantic Fleet points to supply one block. I hope you've got lots of fleets in the Atlantic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan - Sounds like your clever Axis opponent lured you into a self-sustaining POW camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Van Camp
Belgium
Gent
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Rick Young wrote:
Johan - Sounds like your clever Axis opponent lured you into a self-sustaining POW camp.

Well the actual situation isn't quite that bad, though probably not that much better either... after defeating the British line in Western Egypt the Axis played out two Operational Breakthrough movements in order to have their few remaining panzers make a dash for the ports of Alexandria and Transjordan - assuming that with those ports no longer under Allied control, it would seriously complicate British operations in Africa or the Middle East. Fortunately there weren't enough special actions (or units for that matter) left to pass through Upper Egypt as well, so that area remained British-controlled, and in order to cling on to that African toe-hold I ended up strat-moving a strong infantry unit into that area. I was thinking that without such an action, the Axis would have a clear run on Baku, but maybe it would have been better to give up on Egypt alltogether and send the unit straight to Persia - act as a speed bump while the Russians build up their (currently non-existing) southern flank defenses.

But it's in this context that I started wondering what difference an Axis-occupied Upper Egypt would have made. Looks like invading through that route is only an viable option when the whole Atlantic fleet is not preoccupied with anything more important (i.e. before any serious action on the western front)...

...in any case, a big thanks for the quick response!! :-)

Johan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.