Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just opened my first AvX Gravity Feed.

I got 35 UCs, enough to trade even for all UCs. So far, so good.

But I got only 9 Rares. At this rate I will need more than two more GF's to complete the set of rares, or to have enough to trade for all my missing rares.

I got NO SRs, none.

Is this normal? I opened a GF of UXM last week and ended up feeling like I'd done ok, close enough to a complete set to be happy. This feels like even with another GF of AvX I'll still be far from having a nearly complete set, maybe not worth even trying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
far as I know that stinks, but isn't super uncommon for the avx gfs since they are far fewer packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understood, you should have on average received one SR per AvX Gravity feed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
The distribution of SRs in AvX is such that you have about a 2/3 chance of pulling an SR from a single GF (4 SRs per case on average with 6 GFs in a case). And 9-10 Rares per AvX GF is the expected distribution. So not an unusual result. If it makes you feel any better, I got 2 AvX GFs and no SRs in either one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss the days of Star Wars miniatures where you could buy a booster case and know exactly how many of each rarity you would get. The only question was which four of the eight super rares would you get!

When it comes to MDM, I buy the starter, then all the commons and uncommons. If I want a rare one, I buy it on its own, or trade, and if I want just another few dice, I buy a couple of commons again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I had the same issue this weekend. Found 2 full gravity feeds and got them home. The first did have the SR Gobby, and 9 rares, but the second had about 10 rares and no super-rares. Could be that since AVX has the 60 pack GF whereas UXM and D&D have the 90 packs, those games feel more "charitable" to us with rare and super-rare drops. In the end though, I agree - AVX does feel light on the rares and super-rares.

With UXM, I've gotten one gravity feed box and a few boosters and feel like I'm ahead of AVX, where I've gotten three gf's. On D&D, I started with 2 GF's, and after 2 trades, need 1 card to finish out the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two gravity feeds when this came out. I got zero super rares and an missing about 7 rares to complete my set.

The distribution in the Uncanny X-Men feeds are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also never got a SR from an AvX gravity feed, and I bought 2 of them.

If they had continued to sell them this way, I would have actually stopped buying/playing. I'm "that guy", in that I get the gravity feed without the SR, the fortune cookie with no fortune, and the Christmas cracker/popper with no toy inside.

But, now that I can buy a Gravity Feed, and get a SR, it doesn't make me feel like such a loser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Nope - what you opened is well within the realms of expectations for AVX. Starting with UXM, they improved the numbers.

Typical Distribution (not guaranteed):
AVX: 60 Packs per Gravity Feed (GF), 6 GFs per Case
~10 Rares per GF; ~60 Rares per Case
~0-1 Super Rare (SR) per GF; ~4 SRs per Case

UXM: 90 Packs per GF, 2 GFs per Case
~15 Rares per GF; ~30 Rares per Case
~1-2 SRs per GF; ~3-4 SRs per Case

YGO: 90 Packs per GF, 2 GFs per Case
~20-22 Rares per GF; ~40-44 Rares per Case

D&D: 90 Packs per GF, 2 GFs per Case
~20-22 Rares per GF; ~40-44 Rares per Case

For YGO and D&D, I haven't been following the GF opening data as closely, but everyone has reported an increase in the amount of rares opened. I've noticed this just by Rainbow Drafting the sets. Where in UXM I've seen people open 0 rares in their 12 packs, I have yet to witness that for either YGO or D&D.* Definite increase in the amount of rares opened.

*I realize that one person opening 12 packs can hit no rares, but given the gravity feeds that I have opened, in addition to unboxing videos, I haven't seen anyone going in order of the feed hit 12 packs in a row that didn't have a rare in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed out on the best way to complete the AvX set.
Rainbow Draft Events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Américo Dávila Alvarado
Mexico
Saltillo
Coahuila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the end is a card/dice trading game .. when I first buyed a started deck of UXM and 10 boosters .. I got lucky I have Iron man Industrialist (SR) ...

After that I buyed 20 more boosters .. 3 rares ...

I've played Magic the gathering for 17 years ... belive me .... this game is cheaper so dont feel bad about super rares .. they will come .. and if you want to play just for tournaments ... buy the cards and the die .. and forget the troubles ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walker
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased two gravity feeds of AvX and never opened a SR from either. But I did manage to open 3 SR's (Gobby, Tsarina, Canucklehead) from boosters bought individually. Unfortunately I bought the boosters chasing the 4th SR and ended up with a lot of extra cards and dice, especially after participating in some rainbow drafts. I did not make the same mistake with UXM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a second gravity feed and got a Goby. So one SR for two feeds. :|

Also, even with two GFs, I didn't get enough dice for the starter set characters. Not happy about that either. I bought another starter set to solve that problem. Now I can give somebody a heck of a start on Dice Masters: sidekick dice, basic action dice and cards, a ton of cards, some lousy dice bags, and even a rules booklet. Maybe I'll sell it as a "starter" set on eBay.

I definitely like the distribution on the later sets (UXM & D&D) better. Collecting AvX just feels too hard, frankly it feels "unfair" (yes, I know that is a subjective distinction. I don't mean it is literally unfair, I know it is my option not to participate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Getting Rares in D&D is crazy good. I had my retailer pull 30 boosters for me along with a starter. I got 10 Rares and a SR. I hope the Justice League GF is this good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:
I definitely like the distribution on the later sets (UXM & D&D) better. Collecting AvX just feels too hard, frankly it feels "unfair" (yes, I know that is a subjective distinction. I don't mean it is literally unfair, I know it is my option not to participate).

Keep in mind that AvX was the very first set released, and really the first time this type of distribution had ever been attempted (to my knowledge). Thankfully, they learned from their early "mistakes" and the later sets have been much better. I, for one, am very thankful that they seem to be quite receptive to customer feedback in this way. Not only is it a lot easier to get Rares and Super-Rares, but they even switched the Starter Set characters from Uncommons to Commons in the booster packs to make it easier to get a full set (and not have to buy multiple Starter Sets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never bought a gravity feed, but I've been buying a handful of AVX boosters almost every week and I can't believe how hard it is to get Rares and Super-Rares.

I was fortunate enough to get Tsarina and Canucklehead, but I am still missing a great deal of Rares (I only have 7) to complete AVX (missing: 1C, 9UC, 23R, 2SR).

It's been much easier/more rewarding to buy UXM boosters as I'm only missing 13 cards to complete that set (missing: 2UC, 9R, 2SR).

If my calculations are correct, I've purchased about 160 booster packs in total for both sets, so a handful of boosters more than if I would have bought a 1 GF box for each set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpidermanGeek wrote:
I've never bought a gravity feed, but I've been buying a handful of AVX boosters almost every week and I can't believe how hard it is to get Rares and Super-Rares.

I was fortunate enough to get Tsarina and Canucklehead, but I am still missing a great deal of Rares (I only have 7) to complete AVX (missing: 1C, 9UC, 23R, 2SR).

It's been much easier/more rewarding to buy UXM boosters as I'm only missing 13 cards to complete that set (missing: 2UC, 9R, 2SR).

If my calculations are correct, I've purchased about 160 booster packs in total for both sets, so a handful of boosters more than if I would have bought a 1 GF box for each set.
It may not sound like it, but you have been very lucky.

For example in AvX, if you bought a gravity feed, you would have a 67% chance of getting 1 SR. Through your random pack buying, you have 2 instead. Plus, with one being Tsarina, if you are more driven to get your Rares, than to finish the set, you could trade her and put a huge dent in the rares you need, and definitely finish your commons and uncommons too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
It may not sound like it, but you have been very lucky.

For example in AvX, if you bought a gravity feed, you would have a 67% chance of getting 1 SR. Through your random pack buying, you have 2 instead. Plus, with one being Tsarina, if you are more driven to get your Rares, than to finish the set, you could trade her and put a huge dent in the rares you need, and definitely finish your commons and uncommons too.

I bought a few more Boosters yesterday, so I double checked my Booster purchase stats.

AVX: 69 Boosters purchased - Missing: 1C, 8UC, 22R, 2SR
UXM: 104 Boosters purchased - Missing: 2UC, 9R, 2SR

Which means that in conjunction with the Dice from those purchases and from each respective Starter Set, I have these completed character sets (all available card and enough dice for Max allowable per character set):

AVX:
BLACK WIDOW
COLOSSUS
HUMAN TORCH
LOKI
MAGNETO
NICK FURY
STORM

UXM:
ANGEL
ANT-MAN
BISHOP
CABLE
CEREBRO
EMMA FROST
FALCON
JUGGERNAUT
KITTY PRYDE
MAGIK
MISTER SINISTER
NAMOR
PROFESSOR X
PYRO
SABRETOOTH
SCARLET WITCH
SENTINEL
SHE-HULK
STORM
WOLVERINE
X-23

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought 11 more AVX Boosters today and that emptied the Gravity Feed on the shelf at the store.

Gained 4 missing cards (1C, 2UC & 1R) and also pulled another Tsarina.

so now...
AVX: 80 Boosters purchased - Missing: 6UC, 21R, 2SR

Which are the following:

AVX - #70 - Deadpool - Jack
AVX - #75 - Ghost Rider - Spirit of Vengeance
AVX - #82 - Mystique - Shapeshifter
AVX - #88 - Punisher - Vigilante
AVX - #91 - Spider-Man - Wall-Crawler
AVX - #93 - Thing - Grim Ben

AVX - #99 - Angel - Soaring
AVX - #102 - Cyclops - Scott Summers
AVX - #105 - Doctor Octopus - Mad Scientist
AVX - #106 - Doctor Strange - Probably a Charlatan
AVX - #107 - Gambit - Cardsharp
AVX - #108 - Ghost Rider - Brimstone Biker
AVX - #109 - Green Goblin - Norman Osborn
AVX - #110 - Hawkeye - Robin Hood
AVX - #113 - Mr. Fantastic - The Invincible Man
AVX - #116 - Nightcrawler - Circus Freak
AVX - #117 - Nova - The Human Rocket
AVX - #118 - Phoenix - Jeannie
AVX - #119 - Professor X - Charles Francis Xavier
AVX - #120 - Punisher - Big Nothing
AVX - #121 - Rogue - Can't Touch This
AVX - #122 - Silver Surfer - Sky-Rider
AVX - #123 - Thing - Idol of Millions
AVX - #124 - Venom - Angelo Fortunato
AVX - #125 - War Machine - James Rhodes
AVX - #126 - Wolverine - Formerly Weapon Ten
AVX - #127 - Mjolnir - Thor's Hammer

AVX - #130 - Green Goblin - "Gobby"
AVX - #131 - Mr. Fantastic - Elastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.