Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gamesplayed [+] [View All]
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I always record my games played...giving me a chance to sort of spy on myself...but I don't enter expansions played or electronic games played. For me, the expansions will make it look as though I'm playing a lot more than I actually do (one game of Carcassonne + expansions == 5 plays!) As for electronic versions...they seem...somehow...sub-standard for counting purposes.

So, I'm curious, do you count either of those when you're tracking your games played?

(And would anyone else like to see a survey mode for these posts? )
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Surveys are coming, someday.

As for recording games played, I only record 'face to face' (f2f) games, not games I've played on the computer with BrettSpielWelt.

As for recording expansions, one alternative method is to record the play of the expansion with a fractional number, e.g. '.01'. That way, the BGG system doesn't record it as a play, but it does crop up on your games played calendar (but not as a number on your games played list). You can go back and look at your calendar to see what games you played on a particular day, and the expansions will show up on that day as played x0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the time someone pointed out to me the fractional method for expansions, I've been doing that. That seems to make sense to me, at least with most games with expansions.

I've seen the argument about only recording face-to-face games. So far, anyway, that's all I've played so it's not really been an issue for me. I can easily see why playing against an AI would not count, but I guess I'm still not sure why playing remotely with real human players is not worth a tally. Honest question here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Jim, I've been using fractional accounting for tracking game expansions since I learned about it. Also (maybe) like Jim, I wouldn't count playing a computer version of a game against an AI, but fully count all my PBEM games and would count online games vs. live player if I played any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
No on both, and my expansion logging method is that if the expansion significantly alters the game the log goes under the expansion. If I think the game is not changed all that much, then I will log it under the base game.

Thus, I log all of my Age of Steam plays under the appropriate expansion board, but I log all of my Power Grid plays under the base entry. My Puerto Rico logs are the only ones which do not follow this method, and that is only because I had already lost count of how many times I had played with the expansion by the time I decided to start logging it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't record expansions played; just the core game. I do record electronic plays on BSW, SBW, YTMT, MaBiWeb and others, though. I'll also record plays against AIs, but I don't play many games that way, so I doubt it has much effect on my number of games played.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not record my expansion plays. I do record my plays on the computer, if I played a human opponent (BSW, Magic Online, Mabiweb, SBW, etc). Vs AI games are not recorded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I record expansions in addition to the base game. While it somewhat inflates the overall number of games played, I like to be able to see both how many times I played the base game and how many times I used an expansion.

I also record online plays (BrettspielWelt, SpielByWeb, MaBiWeb, Ludagora, E&T on BGG) when I'm playing against other humans because I don't really see much much difference. I prefer to play these games in person, but they're still great online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
toupsz wrote:
Personally, I always record my games played...giving me a chance to sort of spy on myself...but I don't enter expansions played or electronic games played. For me, the expansions will make it look as though I'm playing a lot more than I actually do (one game of Carcassonne + expansions == 5 plays!) As for electronic versions...they seem...somehow...sub-standard for counting purposes.

I log everything that was played; base game and expansions. I only log face-to-face games (I don't play online anyway). Then I can properly track what was played. I'm uninterested in the total the 'geek reports for how many games I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't do records on my games played before. But just decided to do so, and to add games to collection on BGG finally. It will take a long time to do so, only filed only 5% games so far.

I will only record only face-to-face gameplays, as I insist that physical social games are different from electronic versions, in terms of social influence and communicative values. There are also other differentiative factors, anyway.

And I treasure in organizing, managing, teaching and hosting games in person. The experience from hosting a good game event is valuable. Maybe, it's a meta-game.

I will use the fractional recordings for minor game expansions. But if an expansion changes the game significantly, I will mark the fractions to the basic game to reflect the importance of the expansions.

And I think I will record only games I truely played, but not games I host.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log online games, although I'm curious to know how people choose a date to log for multi-day PBEM games like those available on SpielByWeb or ACTS? Personally I pick the day the game started.

I very rarely play games with expansions, so that's not really an issue for me. I tend to think it's better to spend money on a new game than an expansion for an existing one. I do own a few though but since I've only been logging plays since my daughter was born in March 2006 it's never come up as a problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
I log online games, although I'm curious to know how people choose a date to log for multi-day PBEM games like those available on SpielByWeb or ACTS? Personally I pick the day the game started.
Since the link from SBW will log a game on the day it ended, that is what I use for SBW and Mabiweb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone that only recently starting recording games played on BGG, this is an excellent discussion. In the past I just kept a spreadsheet of games played.

When I starting keeping the spreadsheet version(about 2 years ago) I debated the question of recording BSW plays and expansions. I decided against both, based on my reasons for keeping such a game record.

When I started keeping a games played record, It was because I wanted to see what games I should moving off the bookself and into storage boxes, which games I should consider selling, and which games I should buy. I reasoned that the longer it goes between plays, the less I need that game readily available. I also wanted to see how much gaming I was doing compared to previous months and years.

Other than carcassonne, I don't play many expansions. And I don't play many games of carcassonne at that. I didn't know about the .01 trick before this discussion. I think I'll start using that, since it doesn't distort the game count.

BSW was a tougher call for me. Since for almost all BSW games, I play much more than I do face to face. It seemed like those numbers would flood my list and make it virtually impossible to see how much face to face gaming I was doing(for the games that are available on BSW).

If I could somehow(other than having a 2nd BGG id) make 2 lists I would certainly list my BSW plays. It would be nice if BGG added "online plays" as a data item in addition to "plays" That would solve the issue for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know about the fractional trick until today. Still...it would be nice if the BGG database had ontological support for tracking expansions and then allowed you to, when recording a game play, check off which expansions were used, that would be great. That's probably a lot of work, although if there was an easy way to encode it, it might not take too long, since I think all the expansions are marked as "expansion to base game" or somesuch. I'd do the data entry, if necessary.

Support for recording electronic plays specifically seems useful to me too.
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
On an aside here: I think expansion logging methodology probably should have more to do with why you are logging games than anything.

For instance, I log expansions only under the expansion for Age of Steam. The reason that I do this is because I am interested in seeing how many times a particular map set has come out.

The only real reason why I find this system a disadvantage vis a vis logging in both the game AND the expansion page is that it screws up my Extended BGG Stats somewhat (i.e.: expansions do not add to my AoS play totals and playtime totals). I think the converse, inflating my AoS base page logs, is a much more annoying side effect, so I just settled on doing it the way I am.

Ideally, the stats thing would be upgraded at some point so that a person could log both, but have the logs refer back to each other. I.e.: You could see that I have, for instance, played Age of Steam 48 times, and that of those 48 plays, this many were on the Rust Belt, this many on the Moon, and so forth. I imagine that kind of coding would be annoying, and the functional difference probably wouldn't justify it, but as a game logging geek (it's probably my second favourite feature of the Geek beyond game rating itself!) I would love to see that sort of addition.

The reason I don't log electronic games played is because I don't play games online

The reason I advocate others not doing it is because it screws up the BGG wide stats which are sometimes used as gauges of popularity for a game or other random stat purposes. The reason why I consider this suspect when electronic plays are used is simple availability. Only some games are playable online, and because it is easier to play those games (accessibility of opponents, speed of play), the number of plays logged would and should end up being much higher for those games. As a result, we have an inaccurate statistical picture of any game available online. I know that some people already log online games, which already throws stats of that sort out of whack, but I would like to see fewer people do it in the future. Fat chance, I know, but whatever

(and yes...I also know that the stats derived from the play logs is already dodgy because so few people do it, but peh anyway )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blast from the past:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/109850

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.