Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a semi-annual event, but this weekend Half Price Books has been doing it's 20-50% off coupon event. The following applies to ANY time they have a coupon event, which is several times a year.

One difference between now and the past is that HPB is now carrying stocks of brand new (in shrink, not used) board games. Combining Sunday's 50% off coupon (for a single item) with the standard 20% off price that all new board/card games are marked off, you can walk out of the store with one item at 60% off MSRP.

If you do not already have the coupons, you can sign up for the mailing list and get the discount right then (at least you could at the store I was at on Friday, as they were signing people up).

Board/Card games I have seen at HPB in the past couple months include but are not limited to the following...

King of Tokyo
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride
Adventuretime Card Game
Pathfinder Card Game (the first one, not the pirate one)
Pathfinder Card Game expansions
Settlers of Catan
Boss Monster
Bang Dice Game
Xmen/Avengers Dice Masters starter set
Gamma World Box set
Gamma World expansion

At 60% off MSRP and no shipping any of these would compete with regular online prices.

DS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Half Price Books 50% off coupon for Sunday May 22nd
Quote:
Subject: Half Price Books 50% off coupon for Sunday May 22nd

May... or March 22nd (tomorrow)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
Quote:
Subject: Half Price Books 50% off coupon for Sunday May 22nd

May... or March 22nd (tomorrow)?

Good Lord! What a horrible mistake. Tomorrow March 22nd.

Subject line fixed, and thanks for the heads up. Too much basketball.

DS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Nelson
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the 10% off coupon becomes a 50% off coupon for the day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bartholomew
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been coupons all week, starting at 30% Wednesday/Tursday, 40% off Friday/Saturday and culminating in 50% off tomorrow (Sunday). It is 50% off the highest priced item. The coupon was e-mailed to people on their mailing list, but you can sign up in store as well and they are usually pretty good about giving you the coupon right there. They typically just scan their own coupon behind the register so you just have to either flash yours, or show them you signed up. Good deal for games and or those expensive boxed sets of books you have been eyeing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Terry
United States
Nowhere
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One caveat, in the past they have been unlimited in the amount of discount you can get, now they have placed a maximum of $150 discount on the coupon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Stroope
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Party_Clown wrote:
One caveat, in the past they have been unlimited in the amount of discount you can get, now they have placed a maximum of $150 discount on the coupon.

This isn't quite true. $150 is the most the coupon can compute, so if the 50% discount would exceed that then the employee has to manually adjust the price as opposed to relying on the coupon to do the math. Should you be buying something over $300 with the coupon and you're concerned that the discount isn't applied correctly, politely ask for a manager to look at the transaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron McDonald
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up 7 Wonders for $21.64 (they had it marked at $39.99, then I used the 50% coupon). I'm quite happy with that.

They also had Bang the Dice Game, which I love (already have it). I might go back later to buy a second copy and give as a gift to someone. With the coupon it would be $7. They also had Uncanny X-Men Dice masters ($5.50), Killer Bunnies (blue starter deck) for $10, and few others I wasn't familiar with. These prices are after you apply the 50% coupon.

I love that Half Price Books is starting to carry good boardgames now. Definitely a bargain when these 40-50% coupons come out every other month or so. Get on their mailing list if you aren't!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Terry
United States
Nowhere
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ledhed wrote:
Party_Clown wrote:

This isn't quite true. $150 is the most the coupon can compute, so if the 50% discount would exceed that then the employee has to manually adjust the price as opposed to relying on the coupon to do the math. Should you be buying something over $300 with the coupon and you're concerned that the discount isn't applied correctly, politely ask for a manager to look at the transaction.

Good to know, I was going off what was listed on the coupon since it says max discount of $150, but if they will honor over what is listed on the coupon, that is awesome. I usually end up using the coupon for rare books so it can add up to $150 quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.T. Kauffman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anshou wrote:
So the 10% off coupon becomes a 50% off coupon for the day?

This is independent of any other coupons - generally Half Price Books will do a week's worth of coupons a few times a year, where they send out a series of 20%-50% off coupons to everyone on their mailing list (though this one was 5 days, with coupons being 30% off one item on Wed/Thur, 40% off Fri/Sat, and 50% off Sun).

If you were on the mailing list prior to Friday or so you should have gotten an email with the coupon(s) in it. If you sign up in-store, or signed up within the last 48 hours or so, you probably would not receive an email with the 50% coupon in it. Generally, all of the employees at the HPB stores here in Columbus are very cool about these coupons and if you did not receive the coupon but are on the mailing list, let them know and they will honor the coupon anyway without any problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Nelson
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yeah. Coupon is online if you search for it. Bought bang the dice game for 7.50 and titanium wars for 10 at one store. Headed to another to press my luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
msg tools
Didn't know about the coupon but my wife grabbed Tenzi for $5.99. SRP: $20 (currently $14 on amazon).

Decent little game. Great for kids. Even if you don't play you can't beat $6 (or $3 with coupon) for 40 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Costa
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They never emailed me my coupons. I'm a little upset as I would have ran into the store earlier. Anyone have a copy of that coupon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Costa
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevermind found online at http://www.couponsherpa.com/printable-coupons/coupon/3718547...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked up their website, but is this a physical store only thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ross
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, in Dallas we had our Spring sale last week (11th-15th). But seeing the online coupon, ran out to my local store and it worked. Just picked up Machi Koro for $13. Thanks for the coupon link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Schexnayder
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Was able to pick up Uncanny X-Men Dice Masters starter for 5.50 and Machi Koro for 11 bucks. Thanks for the heads up OP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Schlundt
United States
Gainesville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aww why doesn't this work online

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan B.
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link. We were able to pick up 7 Wonders for $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean James
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. Found Dragon Strike for $20. The game looks like a lot of retro RPG fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks OP, I picked up Forbidden Desert for $10+tax with the 50% off. I would have gone for King of Tokyo, but I already have that I also used my new member to the email list 10% off to buy a bunch of books for future reading. Today was a good day at HPB!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up Dan!

I had signed up the last time but didn't get notified of this. They had to sign me up again...

I found Civilization, Advanced Civilization and Civilization Western Extension Map for $55.

I told a friend, who found Ambush! and 3 expansions for (I think) $70.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldyn Gryphon
United States
Mesquite
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Battle at Kembles Cascade for $10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For future reference (it wasn't clear and I didn't ask!) are you able to use the coupon on their NIS games that are already marked with a '20% off' sticker - and then does the coupon replace or stack with the 20% base discount? I ended up getting 2 Uncanny Dice Masters Starters and an unpunched copy of Firefly- Out to the Black for a total of $25 - took a couple people with me and passed the coupons around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McGregor
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redmond, WA location had king of Tokyo, settlers of catan, boss monster, uncanny xmen dice masters, bang! Dice game, all brand new. 20% msrp normal price, then you could use 50% off.

I got king of Tokyo for 17.99 and bang dice for 7.50. Went to two locations to use coupon twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.