Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction:
I enjoy light games I can play with non-gamers or my gaming friends and their wives. I also tend to not be critical of light games that are social, because really the fun level is determined by you and your friends you are playing with so the mechanics are totally secondary to the interaction and social-ness of the game. Even with this in mind, I can’t recommend this game.

The Contents:
HEX HEX is a card game for up to six players. It comes with 94 cards, 6 score cards, 6 score tokens, and 12 Hex tokens. The cards are nice, heavy cards that should be able to easily withstand the limited amount of play this will see the table. The score cards are card sized and much too small for the score tokens used to track your score, making it very easy to accidentally nudge your token to a different score. Good thing it is unimportant who wins, more on that later.

The Gameplay:
First off, there is no ending to the game. Each hand has an end and the game ends when everyone has had a chance to deal a hand, but the game doesn’t really end there, the winner of the last game, gets to make a global rule that impacts the next game, which is to immediately follow.

The game plays like hot potato where a HEX travels around the table being dictated by the cards people play. When the HEX gets passed to you, you get to play cards to get rid of the hex or move it to other players. There are cards that split the HEX into two HEXes or doubles the HEXes damage, which can confuse gameplay unless you really use strict timing. The hand ends when a player is HEXed and is unable to pass or remove the HEX.

The Conclusion:
The game fails because it is too fiddly to be light, and way, way too light to be anything else. It is pure luck with very few choices that impact the outcome. This alone doesn’t sink the game, like I said light games of this have their place and I enjoy them in the right setting. But the fiddly-ness of the turns when there are multiple HEXes out causes undo complexity for a game that should be best while served with alcohol. The other fiddly part is the shuffling and dealing. I swear you spend more time shuffling and dealing than actually playing. It is absurdly ridiculous. Each hand only lasts 2 minutes and then you have to shuffle and deal again, and two minutes later again, and so on, and so on, and then the game never ends, and so on. When I finally do win a round, I make a rule that this game gets to burn in the fireplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules say to reshuffle only when the deck runs out. The cards from the previous rounds are discarded rather than added to the unused deck. That way all of the cards get used.

We enjoy this occassionally as a starter or last game. I even bought Hex Hex Next to add even more nastiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
My rules say to reshuffle only when the deck runs out. The cards from the previous rounds are discarded rather than added to the unused deck. That way all of the cards get used.

That's how we played also, but I've only played in 6 player games were 1/3 of the deck is in play. So, it saves some time not shuffling, but since hands are so quick, it still feels like we needed a shuffle-o-matic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I usually play with 3 or 4 players so we end up shuffling only once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.