Subject: Party Policies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Before giving my new copy of Die Macher a run through I watched the Boardgames with Scott video and found it to be really useful. I would recommend it to anyone new to the game and I'll suggest my fellow players watch it too (although I doubt they will do so).

Scott describes an earlier version of the game and I notice that some of the election issues have changed. The square tomatoes are still there, of course, but I think I prefer some of the issues in the previous edition: they seem to be more solid, tangible issues for players to get to grips with. I think it's important that they can easily understand this part of the game, as the rest looks like it could be overwhelming. So issues like the Euro, healthcare and education are things most players will already be familiar with, unlike concepts such as the wishy-washy Economic Redevelopment and Nuclear Power Development (why not just Nuclear Power?). Workers' wages is an odd one, too. Surely a party campaigning on the basis of lowering workers' wages is not going to be too successful? And what kind of electorate is going to agree with that policy? Is it supposed to represent something specific like government workers' wages?

I can see why the Euro would no longer be an issue in German politics, but healthcare and education are ever-present, and could have been left in. This has probably been discussed before, but I never paid much attention to the Die Macher forums until the game arrived on my doorstep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you about education, but there is broad consensus amongst contemporary German parties about health care; socialized medicine is taken as a given in most of the non-American West. As for worker's wages and economic development, given the nature of German corporatism (i.e., unions having a say in economic policy at both the state and national level), these issues do very much come up.
Of course, maybe a European will come and correct my misunderstandings of German politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of time and research went into picking the issues for the new release. There were some issues that obviously needed updating (the "Euro" comes to mind), and others that didn't seem quite as important since the previous edition.

In researching issues, we consulted with both German citizens (well, not ALL of them!), and even professors of Modern German History. Both sources were particularly helpful.

Then came the narrowing down of the issues into their core elements. How, for example, can you best describe an issue in two or three words? This is why, for example "Economic Redevelopment" might sound a bit generic. It might mean development of infrastructure to some, but it also might mean increasing exports of manufactured goods, or decreasing barriers to trade. Given the size of the issue, "Economic Redevelopment" sums it up as best as possible.

"Worker's Wages" can seem a bit confusing too. Why would a candidate pursue a platform of "Vote for me so I can reduce your wages!"? This is an issue that was struggled with for some time. It is an important issue though, and yes, many people do agree that lower wages are necessary (including, I believe, the current Chancellor). The idea behind lower worker's wages is to make manufactured goods more competitive on the world market, ideally leading to increased numbers of jobs and lower unemployment.

The issue, then, is best summed up as "Worker's Wages", even though in practice, politicians would be very careful as to how they present both sides of the issue.

Of course, every voter will have their own interpretation of the "key issues" but I personally believe that with the research that was done, these issues can be broadly described as "accurate and relevant" in modern Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
I never paid much attention to the Die Macher forums until the game arrived on my doorstep.

Sorry for high-jacking your thread, but please tell me that you also pre-ordered the game directly from Valley Games, and that I can expect my copy to be delivered any day now. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Workers' wages is an odd one, too. Surely a party campaigning on the basis of lowering workers' wages is not going to be too successful?

Clearly you are not familiar with the Republican Party in the United States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Of course, every voter will have their own interpretation of the "key issues" but I personally believe that with the research that was done, these issues can be broadly described as "accurate and relevant" in modern Germany.

It's a nice touch that they reflect the real world, but I'd be just as happy with snappy issues that are irrelevant to real-world politics but aid gameplay. Since the game is necessarily an abstraction of the actual election process, I don't think that accurate and relevant issues are all that important. They make the game sound so serious! For me games with square tomatoes are fun, economic redevelopment less so.

Johan wrote:
Sorry for high-jacking your thread, but please tell me that you also pre-ordered the game directly from Valley Games, and that I can expect my copy to be delivered any day now.

Sorry Johan, I didn't pre-order, I just ordered online when I saw it was available. I would have pre-ordered but I've had transatlantic postage problems before and now prefer to buy locally. I hope your copy arrives soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanders
United States
Greendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, also, appreciate the effort at modernizing the issues - but I'm not thrilled with the new ones, either.

I love the game, and I'm glad I preordered, but at least for now the issues don't grab me as much as the older set.

Looking now at the old issues, the problem I have with it may actually be not so much the names of the issues, but the icons to represent them.

The old set had big, simple icons (Life Preserver, Coin, Badge, Briefcase, Chalkboard, Waste Drum, Cube-mato). Some of the new set icons are far too detailed to simply differentiate between them (upside-down, across the board, in the small four-to-a-card format). Econ and Nuke both have gray buildings with a crane and are probably the "worst" examples. In general, I'd just say the issue card icons are too gray.

OK - Genetic (cubemato), Wages (fist w/ money), and Social Sec. (Nest).

Not-so-Good - the rest, to varying degrees.

Just my $0.02 on a game I am still very, very glad to have back in print.

If you don't own it - buy one today!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
I rephrase "worker's wages" to "minimum wage" and all my players got it with no complaints.

my only issue is the images for nuclear development and economic development. they are deffinitly different, but a few players kept mistaking one for the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.