Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When resolving calamities I understand that cities are 5 Unit Points and Pop's are 1UP (except for the Epidemic which is 4UP for a city, which in turn can be traded and replaced with 1 Pop)

Can this 'trade', City for Pop, be performed with any other Calamity, so as not to remove more points than needed?
Or, suffer the consequences and take the additional losses?

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, a city is worth 5 units points in an epidemic. However, you can't reduce any area to zero in an epidemic, so you can only remove 4 units points in a city area, leaving 1 unit point behind.

In many cases, this is more devastating than a famine, in that you have to spread your losses over more areas, because you're prevented from emptying areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personnaly, I prefer when an area is not completly depopulated after a calamity. Population will double next turn making it easier to rebuild. To illustrate my point let's say that I am loosing 12 units. I prefer loosing three cities where 1 population will stay on each of them, getting 2 on each next turn x 3 = 6 (this is one city already)
than loosing two cities and two tokens that will give me nothing next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all dependent on the situation. Sometimes, you're spread so thin that you end up reducing more cities than you would have liked. Or, you end up leaving units in out-of-the-way locations, when you would rather have emptied that out-of-the-way area so you could leave *two* units in the city site, so they would multiply to four. Instead. you end up with the one unit in the out of the way area multiplying to two units, far away from your potential build site.

You're right that you rarely want to depopulate a city site. The devastation of epidemic is that you're not allowed to depopulate the out-of-the-way areas containing single units, and instead are sometimes forced to reduce cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.