Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Willson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've been self debating this for a while, and I'm curious what other 'scapers think:

Do you play with custom figures? Would you allow an opponent you don't know field a custom?

I ask due to the over-whelming amount of custom figures on eBay. They must get purchased once in a while, otherwise they wouldn't be there. Has anyone ever bought a custom off eBay? Was it worth it's salt? I wonder if they are, or if they are (to my cynicism more likely) the dumping ground of un-loved commons from CLIX games. Many times I've had a look at one of these customs at auction (usually while hunting for Sir Hawthorne) and thought, "why not just grab some boosters of mage knight, sell the rare and make these myself?" They usually include an army card, but I question the quality of the card, and many times the figures are still on their CLIX bases.

So: Customs or Not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important parts of a figure are the accompanying cost, stats and rules. My feeling is that it would be very easy for custom figures to throw the game out of balance. It seems to me that a game played with custom figures wouldn't feel "official". I can hear the arguments now, "Well, of course you won! That guy has ridiculous abilities."

But then again, if a group of friends creates some customs based off of a an idea that everyone collectively thinks is pretty cool... there's no harm in that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J. Boisvert
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Custom Unit section of www.heroscapers.com

http://heroscapers.com/community/viewforum.php?f=14

There are quite a few of us that take the time to try and create well balanced customs that don't break the game. There are a lot of creative and talented custom makers there. Many of the customs are made using DnD minis or MageKnight minis. I never understood why people would pay for a custom on eBay when there are so many more for free at HSers, especially since most of the ones I have seen on eBay are WAY overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no customs in our group. They are almost always overpowered and undercosted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've not played with customs, ever, in my group. I have the feeling that if we did, we'd probably treat them more like the upcoming Marvel Heroscape: similar game, different universe and figs, no crossing the streams.

Heroscape is a gret engine for all sorts of skirmish gaming. I have the feeling that if the game stays popular and grows, people will adapt it for specific historical periods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.