Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy to report that Duel of Eagles has finally found a publishing home ... again. After being discontinued by White Dog Games, Compass Games has agreed to publish the game in an upcoming edition of Paper Wars under the new game title Position Magnifique: Mars-la-Tour 1870.

I'm open to any suggestions for adjustments and tweaks that gamers may feel are necessary to the design, so please let me know if you'd like to see anything new in the upcoming edition of the game.

Thanks for your support!

Hermann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What.... I thought is was going to be published by GMT soon....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Oliver
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermann you had posted this before:

"DoE II is only Mars-la-Tour and is a smaller, simpler game. DoE was actually the parent game for the Blind Sword chit pull system. So to answer your question, At Any Cost will essentially have DoE within it."

I have several questions:

1. Does Stonewall's Sword use the same basic rules as DOE? (It would be great if they use the same system, one would not have to relearn each time you played...)

2. I am confused about the "At Any Cost" game. Is it a more complicated DOE? and how is At Any Cost related to Stonewall's Sword as far as complexity?

(Sorry for the questions. I am planning to buy your upcoming game Stonewall's Sword through Revolution Games and would like to know of other games using its system (if I like SS, that is))

3. Why the name change for the Paper Wars addition?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian and Stephen!
Brian - At Any Cost is an outgrowth of Duel of Eagles - it covers not only Mars-la-Tour but Gravelotte-St. Privat as well and more importantly has two types of campaign scenarios included. Also, because of the greater component allowance and map size, I was able to get some more flexibility in the design. So though it is influenced by Duel of Eagles, it is a new game as far as scope.

Stephen - 1) The chit pull system for Stonewall's Sword is a variation of the DoE chit pull system. So yes, if you know the DoE system you'll understand the SS system; 2) At Any Cost is a broader design and includes Gravelotte-St. Privat and two campaign scenarios. Stonewall is about only one battle and at a different scale - AAC is brigades and SS is regiments; 3) I suggested the name change only to give the Paper Wars edition its own identity. I may also alter some mechanics to tighten things up.

Please remember that DoE was already a finished and published game anyway - it just wasn't availabe for a while. This just let's it live again.

Thanks and please - if you have any other question or concerns, please let me know.

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news! A fine small-footprint game that plays "bigger" than it looks. Glad to hear it will be back in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Peter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Another quick update ....

The Paper Wars game will actually be titled "Duel of Eagles at Mars-la-Tour" so that some unsuspecting buyer doesn't mistakenly purchase the Paper Wars thinking it's a new take on the battle. This way, buyers will be forewarned that it's the same game (but I think we'll have new artwork) and then could opt just for the mag if they already own the game.

Instead, I'll design a second game using the same system and that one will be named "Position Magnifique" and will recreate the Battle of Gravelotte-St. Privat and will also be available in a future Paper Wars (at least that's the plan now).

Thanks! Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Oliver
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermann,

I noticed that the current Paper Wars (#81) is called: "Position Magnifique: Mars le Tour 1870"

Also I noticed on the map posted it says "Game Design: Mike Nagel"

http://compassgames.com/index.php/preorders/issue-81-positio...

What's up???

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:
What.... I thought is was going to be published by GMT soon....

Might be thinking of 1914: Glory's End / When Eagles Fight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Oliver
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very similar game to DOE but covers larger area but same system:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-493-at-any-cost-metz-1870.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Stephen!
Yes, I changed the name to reinforce that it is a new edition and published by another company, but it is the same game with some additional stuff. The original map had mistakenly been printed with Mike Nagel's name, but Knut fixe it in the meantime.

Thanks!
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.