Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see in several threads where Russian is lending a resource to Germany until there is a DOW. While this makes sense can someone point to where in the rules this is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is briefly mentioned in the Gazetteer under Germany and then shown on the AXIS resource tracking / OOB sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Savatt
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Bearing this in mind, is it in Russias best interests to declare war on Germany asap thus stripping them of the shared resource?

I don't see any rule that prohibits this or punishes Russia for an early DoW, especially if they remain on the defensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Westerman
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
No rule prohibition but the punishment is that Russia can not move any units from the Urals (except for the two released via card play) until '42. Effectively this keeps the potential 8 production points in the Urals out of play for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Westerman
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
As for if it is in "Russia's best interests" my feeling is "no". It denies a potential 1 PP to Germany at the cost of not being able to effectively use the Ural PPs.

For a reverse of the above, my Axis opponent in my current game did an immediate DOW on Russia in Summer'39. He then bombed the Leningrad factory out of existence thus dropping the Soviets from a non-Ural PP of 6 to 5. That, and the ability to starve the Poles instead of fighting them, was his rationale for the early DOW. I rebuilt the factory so in effect the bombing/DOW cost me 3 PP. The Poles did slowly starve thus saving the Germans probably 2-3 steps of unit losses; say 4-6 PPs. So an overall net effect of plus 7-9 PP to the Germans over the Allies/Soviets. On the other hand he has to now station a number of units on the Soviet border which I think is a negative factor for him. Oh, another effect is that the Allied command points now have to be split between the Allies and the Soviets -- that is the part that really hurts.

In any case if either of the above strategies are "best interest" ones or not at least ViE gives us the chance to explore such possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
I think the mandatory CM sharing is the biggest cost and negative for and early Russian DoW. It would not be a huge deal after the fall of France, but before hand would seriously crimp the Allies ability to SM, reinforce, or initiate naval combat. I presume any Axis player will garrison the east front and steadily increase that garrison lest the Soviets move on Berlin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The downside of CM sharing is why I thought the majors should have separate card decks---but without changing the Allied and Axis CM totals when on a historical path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.