Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group got the first Well of Darkness play in on Sunday. 5 players total, ended up grabbing 2 Wizards and 2 Rogues. The lack of a 'tank' ended up hurting them, as did the fact that 2 of the characters were 8 lifers.

I was the overlord and ended up choosing the third quest in the new book, 'Raiders of the Lost Temple' or something similarly Indiana Jonesy. I wanted to play something that reflected a lot of the new rules and toys so we could get a feel for a lot of the changes in the game.

Game got a relatively slow start and the fact that 2 of the big rooms were mirror images of eachother gave kind of a 'boring de-ja-vu' feel. The players cleared out the first room with very little difficulty, the scything blades were a lot of fun but didn't do any real damage. When they got to the second room they started having trouble. The scything blades took a pretty heavy toll, and I was able to upgrade the ogre in the room to a Master Ogre via Brilliant Commander. Though his undying ability didn't kick in, I managed to drop the new healing card on him to keep him around longer and a well placed Rage knocked a hero back into the scything blades. Once the room was cleared all of the heroes but one ran off to town and left one of the rogues alone. I dropped a master naga into the room with him (gotta love the new spawning cards) who managed to miss his attack, but still cause everyone to panic and run back into the room, costing them a couple turns. Master Naga went down, heroes flooded out again, and yet again the rogue was in the room alone, albiet 1 space from the glyph. This time I spawned 2 Ferrox who beat down on the poor Rogue and left him with 2 life and 2 bleed tokens.

As an aside, those bleed tokens are pretty brutal. Between the Ferrox and the blades, I did a massive amount of damage through bleed alone.

Back to the game, at this point the players were hurting, the Ferrox ambush managed to take their last conquest token and we decided to play it out to the end to see if they could end with a positive number. Walking into the hallway of death, they dropped the boulder on one player, killing him instantly. Next turn I got a lucky boulder roll and moved it forward 3 spaces, killing another guy. Last 2 players opened the door to find an ogre upgraded via Brilliant Commander, which would have been horrible if the boulder didn't roll over them first. As they were now at -10 conquest we decided to call it a game there.

Overall I feel the Overlord gets a pretty hefty boost. The new traps are brutal, the new monsters are tough but very cool (though the Kobalds didn't get a chance to shine, which was unfortunate as I had enough cards to spawn 21 Kobalds at one point) and there was very little there to boost the heroes. I think in a lot of quests now things are balanced towards the Overlord, which I feel is the way it should be: a heroes victory should be hard earned and edge-of-your-seat. At this point I still feel the heroes should always play through to the end of the quest on the tougher ones, as it is more fun and less abruptly ending.

We all really enjoyed the expansion, and though we look forward to AoD, there is more than enough here to keep us entertained for quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fredriksson
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
is there any rules of campaign play??
because THAT is what I think is missing in the original game. The "lvl-up" just doesnt feel that great, since the only thing that happens is you get a little more money to spend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChoArrim wrote:
is there any rules of campaign play??
because THAT is what I think is missing in the original game. The "lvl-up" just doesnt feel that great, since the only thing that happens is you get a little more money to spend.

No, there's not additional rules for campaign play. Those are supposedly coming in AoD, the next expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:

No, there's not additional rules for campaign play. Those are supposedly coming in AoD, the next expansion.

Actually I'm pretty sure AoD is more monsters and scenarios, just like Well of Darkness. According to FFG, campaign rules *may* be in the third expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.