Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The girl and I sat down to our first game of Power Grid the other night. I've been eyeing it for months, and just recently picked it up after all the fun we've been getting out of Railroad Tycoon lately.

At first we were going to just play the introductory 'Phase 1' game, but ended up playing out the whole game. The game was very close the entire time, but she ended up overbidding on the Fusion plant near the end while I went with a high production coal plant and saved a lot of cash. She also favored the Windmills most of the game that gave me a slight advantage in the number of cities I could power. During the last turn of the game I managed to power 3 more cities than her and took the victory.

We both enjoyed the game quite a bit, though not as much as Railroad Tycoon. I felt this game lacked a lot in 2 player that RT did not, though she enjoyed Power Grid with 2 more than I did. I certainly feel that a 2 player game of PG really shows how much more fun you could be having with more. The auction being a central mechanic of PG is probably one of the main reasons, while the auction in RT simply takes a step back in a 2 player game and loses a lot of the importance that it has in a bigger game.

Still, I see us pulling it out every now and then when we feel like a break from RT. I can't wait to play this with 4 or 5, because I think I'll get a whole lot more out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is Good with 2, Great with 3, but it's Fantabulous with 4 or more. My favorite and highest rated game, in fact

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definatly get more people. I was a bit bored by the 2 player version, but it's my favorite game overall with 4 or 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.