Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report is posted with permission and without edits from an email that Dr. Rob Seulowitz posted to our gaming group.

Churchill

I love this game! I think it’s the best thing Mark Herman has ever done – efficient, asymmetrical 3-player game with a huge array of decision points and interactions. The “Dead Man Switch” rule is the key to this game – if the distance between 1st and 3rd is > 15 points, the 2nd place player wins! Played it twice and both games were completely different.

In game 1 I had Stalin against Hawkeye’s Roosevelt and Mark’s Chruchill. I stalled on the Ukraine for 2 critical turns but since they never got me into Manchuria, Japan never surrendered. Ultimately I did well enough on the Politics side that the scores were close enough for Churchill to hold on to the win.

In game two, Hawkeye switched to Uncle Joe, I took Churchill and a new player took Roosevelt. The new guy sniffed out the strategy of trying to drive Russia down and build the UK up so that he could win with the middle score, forcing me to throw all my support behind Stalin. In the end, we failed to get the Japanese surrender because we didn’t finish the Bomb, so I lost just enough points off my lead for now 2nd-place Stalin to claim the win. Nice job, Truman!

So the upshot is that regardless of which side you have, you have to spend energy/resources on forcing your so-called allies to do things that they'd rather not do. Just like real life!

Again, this is a great game and I rank it a strong buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:

I love this game! I think it’s the best thing Mark Herman has ever done

Snipped the rest, but if this part is accurate, it's saying a lot. Thanks for the post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:

I love this game! I think it’s the best thing Mark Herman has ever done

Snipped the rest, but if this part is accurate, it's saying a lot. Thanks for the post!

I have to agree. Mark is one of my favorite designers, innovative and flat out brilliant in what he does...if this is the best thing he's done, it must truly be awesome...an automatic P500 purchase for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.