FOWL Noah
msg tools
Hey all, I've been playing with this setup many many times and I think it's a great and extremely difficult scenario if you want to play a quick 4 round game. Of the many times I've attempted this, I've only actually won once, it can be pretty frustrating, but if you can beat it with a bit of card luck, it's extremely exciting!

The council of the Void has been steadily advancing across Atlantis, the cities are falling like leaves in the rapidly approaching fall. Fear of the Mage Knights' power sweeps across the land as cities and villages begin to roll out the metaphorical red carpet as you march into their streets while they hide behind shaded windows. They have heard tales of your brutal victories and no longer want to resist the Council's will. Except for Mordania; hidden deep within The Mountain Range of Savage Lore, in a valley next to a massive lake of abundance. Their arrogance has angered the council as they have openly mocked the Mage Knights, believing their affluent seat amongst the mountains to be impenetrable. You are tasked to immediately sweep through the range and into the valley to destroy the city before the winter sets in, when even your magic will not help you traverse this range. Silence this rebellion now.

For this scenario, you will need all tiles from the base and Lost Legion expansion which feature a mountain space. The map has a predetermined setup, all tiles begin face up, you will not need to explore tiles in this scenario, your move points will already be too precious to spare!
The map takes a shape moving forward interpolating between two tiles wide, to one tile wide.
Start with side A of the portal space, and then place countryside tile 4 on the left, and tile 6 on the right. In between these is tile 10. after tile 10 place 9 on the left, and 12 on the right.
After this you will use Core tiles. Place Core tile 3. After 3, place tile 9 on the left, and tile 1 on the right. Next is tile 4. Then finally, you have tile 6 on the left (blue city) and Volkare's camp tile on the right.
The Blue City is set to level 5, while Volkare's camp can be considered a refugee site, although I've never had the time or move points to consider visiting it, especially with that lake separating the camp from the blue city. You are not allowed to explore any tiles for any reason in this scenario, what is laid down at the beginning is all the space there is to travel amidst this massive mountain range. Here is a blurry picture of the completed map to give you a clearer idea on how to set it up.

To complete this mission successfully, you must reach the blue city and conquer it at level five within 4 rounds. Once you move to a tile, consider all tiles directly adjacent to it explored, add rampaging enemies, purple and grey tokens, and advanced actions to the unit offer if a monastary is contained on an adjacent tile. You know what awaits you throughout the mountain range, but only get a sense of the actual enemies and rewards as you get closer.
A few notes on strategy: I've played this scenario about 20 times and only beat it once. Sometimes even reaching the Blue City can prove impossible, but once you do get there, having stored enough power to take it on after focusing on movement for the whole game can be quite the challenge. You need to balance continuous movements with a few well chosen adventure sites to secure some spells and artifacts for your final assault. Even a single misjudged adventure site failure can be enough to cripple success. My only successful completion of this mission involved space bending to get to the city with a few extra turns bypassing those damn Draconums! After play testing a bunch of times, I feel this setup of the mountain tiles creates the most balanced decisions, keeping the mountains mostly in the center and forcing you to make some difficult decisions about which path to take around them. If you blow past everything, you will not be able to conquer the city, but if you visit every site you come across, you won't even make it to there.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FOWL Noah
msg tools
I guess I should have pointed out that this scenario utilizes a standard dummy player and tactic selection for a solo game. You probably figured that out though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed monk
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Did you get mountain lore on this scenario?
Temporal Portal?
Goldyx's flight skill?
Underground travel or wings of wind could make it very easy maybe...
Just curious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FOWL Noah
msg tools
Yes. Mountain Lore is a massively beneficial card in this scenario. I often refer to this scenario simply as "Mountain Lore"! Especially if you can draw it on your final night as you approach the city, attacking from the hills there, (or even that mountain if you're extra adventurous) benefits greatly from the extra card(s).
The one time I beat the scenario I made massive use of Space Bending along with other move cards. The trick to this scenario though is that you still have to take on a level 5 city, (usually WITH a rampaging draconum thrown into the mix) on your second night, so focusing solely on move cards and skills will definitely lead to a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FOWL Noah
msg tools
Because of all the hills, Mist Form is pretty useless here, the others are pretty well mandatory. You have to score SOME advanced movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FOWL Noah
msg tools
Decided to replay this scenario tonight, and won. I think the trick to it is to be aggressive about gaining the right spells. I wound up with Underground Travel AND Space Bending this time, so was able to maneuver around the draconums in the final round, and actually wind up on the monastery north of the city so that I could assault it without having to deal with the Draconum at all. I wound up with an infinitely bad reputation, but hey, what can you do? Keep conquering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed monk
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Thanks Mr.FowlMusic, looks grand, I think you did mines lib solo right, which is great too ie challenging rather than a bloodfest. Again everything or at least much depends on being able to get past the core tile dragons.

Attacking a city with ambush refreshing walk song of wind mountain lore etc.... could be fun, Agility seems a good bet here too

thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FOWL Noah
msg tools
Nope. Mines Lib. wasn't me. I did contribute another solo quest which utilizes all the Ancient Ruins spaces though which you might be thinking of perhaps.
Thanks for the interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed monk
Guatemala
flag msg tools
I just did this, had an easy success with Norowas
I t was a real roller coaster
great start, hire herbalists, reveal ice golems who kill unspent herbalists, but get fire bolt to kill ironclads, and Prayer of Weather which got me up to the keep guarding the pass, where I found more golems.

Next level up was Bonds. I added gold units at day 2 seemed sensible. Had UT & CtA ( never cast ) but song of wind with PoW then UT got me to through the desert on day 2 and then to the blue mine UT, then it was easy city with units via monastery - UT again

Did you develop anything more, I wonder whether not revealing tiles and having a higher level city would work with 3 day 2 night, it was just a bit too short

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FOWL Noah
msg tools
Glad you enjoyed it Ed, and sorry it was too easy!
If you felt it was too short, check this one out, it was my attempt to make an epic scenario that used everything from the base game and Lost Legion somehow. I think it needs to be tweaked more, and was hoping some people would play it through and make some tuning suggestions, warning, it takes a really long time to get through!
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1361710/volkare-final-battl...

Also, I made a scenario using all the ancient runes tiles which I think is extremely fun, it's on here somewhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FOWL Noah
msg tools
If you do attempt a 3 day, 2 night variant, let me know how it goes. Taking away the exploring mechanic on this (and the Volkare one I posted) was based around my interest in finding a way to play with the random tiles to make a more realistic looking landscape. For whatever reason I wanted to play it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.