--------
+38 Combined from both games
+1 Angaraks
+2 Mega Bosses
+17 Monster Tokens
+3 Allies
------------------
+61 Monster Tokens

Granted 3 are for Allies still how did we get from taking down 49 creatures to taking down 58?

ok I will even give you the 3 Herald that are not used because they bring out Angarak but with all of that

we went from 49 to 55 wow that makes it really hard.

NOW I want to say my first play through (2 player) went EXTREMELY successful with only officially losing only 1 tower. (didn't actual lose only one in the game but I was able to rebuild some)

This is not question just letting people who have not played it yet that there are more mobs to fight

Since I am here the Cavalier is such a great addition. I love him because he can go into the castle ring and keep it clear. Even though he is a 2 creature he really help keeping your towers safe also the 3 allies really make the dynamic so much more fun. BTW got them all into the Castle with no damage. Really helped win the game.

love LOVE the game.

Barmace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first play wasn't much harder. There was a scary moment early and then it was pretty easy. We played with level 2 Agronok and Wizard's Tower. It looked like it would be really difficult, but there were way to many turns with one our zero monsters on the board. I think there are too many tiles with words (not monsters) in the game. Plus, there are 3 heralds that don't ever make it on the board. I'm curious if others have had this experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Sauer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with a random Angarak card, which turned out to be level 4. We just BARELY won (and that was with us using the Feather promo bookmark to do 4 damage to Angarak after playing Tar on it). Cavalier was very useful. We also lucked out a LOT with Plague tokens mostly getting drawn in circumstances where they did not apply. At the end we were down to JUST our Wizard's Tower (until we used Mystical Manufacturing to restore one more tower just in case, but I don't think that ended up being needed).

I think we were helped somewhat by the fact that we drew easier monsters early on, and got the Cavalier out on the FIRST turn (I think, might have been the second) so once we started getting pummeled by all the harder monsters toward the end, the board was MOSTLY clear and we could concentrate our efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bnordeng wrote:
Our first play wasn't much harder. There was a scary moment early and then it was pretty easy. We played with level 2 Agronok and Wizard's Tower. It looked like it would be really difficult, but there were way to many turns with one our zero monsters on the board. I think there are too many tiles with words (not monsters) in the game. Plus, there are 3 heralds that don't ever make it on the board. I'm curious if others have had this experience.

We have played with both expansions three times now and lost all three times! However it has been very close, making it to the end of the monster bag each time, and we did lose our wizard tower before the end all three times. The first was level 1 Agranok, then level 2, and then level 4, all chosen randomly. Its a very fun and very balanced expansion, I think. It may err a little on the more challenging side but that's great because we found the base game and wizard's tower just a tad too easy.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played with all the tokens that are in the game (so ignoring the rules that tell you to take some out and including all 6 bosses from wizard tower) there were some tight spots, but actually it wasn't more difficult. Generally the number of monsters does not translate to more difficulty just more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
I've just played with all the tokens that are in the game (so ignoring the rules that tell you to take some out and including all 6 bosses from wizard tower) there were some tight spots, but actually it wasn't more difficult. Generally the number of monsters does not translate to more difficulty just more time.

Sorry for necroing this thread - but your way actually would make the game easier. The expansions have helpful cards, and if you don't take out easy monsters from the base game, like the goblins, you've just made it much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LSUtigers wrote:
borsook wrote:

Sorry for necroing this thread - but your way actually would make the game easier. The expansions have helpful cards, and if you don't take out easy monsters from the base game, like the goblins, you've just made it much easier.

Been playing this way, and it also means all the trolls and all the special monsters (as I play with all the tokens) and the bigger number of bosses seems to balance out more goblins. If you get a goblin streak it is a good idea to keep to better cards, as then you will get e.g. a few bosses in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
LSUtigers wrote:
borsook wrote:

Been playing this way, and it also means all the trolls and all the special monsters (as I play with all the tokens) and the bigger number of bosses seems to balance out more goblins. If you get a goblin streak it is a good idea to keep to better cards, as then you will get e.g. a few bosses in a row.

Not quite what I meant. In the rules for Wizards tower - you take out about 15 of the easier monsters from the base game and add all the new monsters, plus 3 boss monsters. There are thus very few turns where you're not adding significant monster difficulties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LSUtigers wrote:
borsook wrote:
LSUtigers wrote:
borsook wrote:

Not quite what I meant. In the rules for Wizards tower - you take out about 15 of the easier monsters from the base game and add all the new monsters, plus 3 boss monsters. There are thus very few turns where you're not adding significant monster difficulties.

Problem is the expansions remove a lot of trolls and many of the monsters added instead are much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.